Danny Chime in For Me, Mobo Stuff!

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
Alright you insomniacs and hardcore computer junkies :) Here is the mobo choice, I am curious to hear some feedback and comments. I have only ever dealt with ASUS mobo's but I hear so much about EVGA warranty and customer service, so now I am curious to try out some of there gear. Just thought I would get an idea of what everyone else thought.

EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Or-

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Well the Asus board:
Pro's:

SLI / CF
PCIe x16, X16X16, X16,X8,X8
24 GB Ram max.
11 USB connections
3yr limited warranty
good reviews.

Con's:

SupremeFX X-Fi 2

EVGA board?

Pro's:

SLI / CF
PCI-e X16, X16X16, X16X,X8,X8
24 GBRam
10 USB connections
good reviews

Con's
1 year warranty

Besides the warranty they look almost identical. The EVGA looks like it would look better in my case. Anyone have any hands on with these mobos?

Dan, do you work with PC's?

Op, you still haven't answered this question:
Which features are "must have"?
Basically, what features do you want in a motherboard? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Dan, do you work with PC's?
Nah, currently an out of work college student with a degree in Computer Information Systems who has way too much free time on his hands. :D

Anyway, for me, that eVGA mobo is completely not worth considering at all since it only has a one year warranty. If you're gonna spend $270 on PC part, it should at least have a two year, preferably three year, warranty on it. One year is just a joke.

Op, you still haven't answered this question:

Basically, what features do you want in a motherboard? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

Well honestly not all that familiar with 6 Sata, or USB 3.0, definitely support SLI if I am going nVidia, but its nice both cards accept either GPU's. Even yet both boards appear to have all the same features.

So far you haven't said anything that would justify either of those mobos over this mobo:
$210 - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 ATX Motherboard

of the 2 (now 3) I would probably go for the asus myself. I am sure the gigabyte is probably nearly as good of a board, but I have honestly never used gigabyte in any of the probably several thousand systems I have built in the last 20 or so years doing this. Asus is my favorite so unless they dont have a comparable board to what I am looking for I almost always end up going with them even at a premium..

Also the OP mentioned something about looks.. Is there a theme going on in a windowed case ehre?

Not really a theme, but color matching and a big ass window :)

The Asus was my original pick, then I saw the EVGA. But after reading all the reviews on Newegg, the Asus still seems to be the safest choice.

You still haven't explained to us the main appeal for each of your choices. Is it looks? Overclocking capabilities? Features? Warranty?

I mean, do you see yourself going tri-SLI or quad-CrossFire? Are you trying to obtain a high (4GHz or more) overclock of your processor? Are you going to use more than five USB (or SATA/eSATA) devices? Do you need something special like dual Gigabit Ethernet ports or legacy (COM/LPT) connections?

Absent any further input from you, I'm inclined to agree with Danny Bui that the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R could easily suit your needs.

Well honestly not all that familiar with 6 Sata, or USB 3.0, definitely support SLI if I am going nVidia, but its nice both cards accept either GPU's. Even yet both boards appear to have all the same features.

Any motherboard will support SLI if it has the PCI E slots, you just need to run a "hack" to enable SLI.

Well I will be overclocking. I do plan to run SLI, and maybe run 3 way SLI or at least leave myself open for 3 way SLI in the very near future. Guess I should have mentioned that earlier. Sorry!

After lots of reading it seems with the Asus warranty and the reviews the Asus board is probably the choice to make. Seems the slightly cheaper boards have some quality issues, I would rather play it safe.

Back