DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

At the moment I have a Silverstone SF450G powersupply, but been eyeing the Corsair SF600 and SF450. Anybody in here with experience with these PSU's?

Also curious about the dimensions of the Corsair PSU's next to the Silverstone SF450
They are the same size.

Thoughts? I'm trying to figure out how I can watercool but still make it portable, so the thought right now is quick disconnects on the GPU side, it's just figuring out how I can realistically cool the CPU this way. May have to drill holes in the I/O panel on the CPU side or find a way to route the pipes internally so I don't modify the case.

I just realized I forgot to include the pump/reservoir on the side, but this is the thought.

-Charles

I figure you could use two right angle connectors on the CPU block, run the tubing between SSD's and the SFX PSU, run one up and out the back, and the other up to the GPU outlet and another tube from there out the back.
Put the res/ pump on your external rad and for your portable rad get a predator 240 or something with a combined rad/ res/ pump, have those on QD's.
You'd be running it like a parallel loop.
Here's a very badly scaled and poorly done mockup to help you get what I'm meaning.
MrigI01.png

I figure you could use two right angle connectors on the CPU block, run the tubing between SSD's and the SFX PSU, run one up and out the back, and the other up to the GPU outlet and another tube from there out the back.
Put the res/ pump on your external rad and for your portable rad get a predator 240 or something with a combined rad/ res/ pump, have those on QD's.
You'd be running it like a parallel loop.
Here's a very badly scaled and poorly done mockup to help you get what I'm meaning.
MrigI01.png

I like where your thought process is as I looked into this possibility as well, the only thing that I can see that would cause an issue are the cables/connectors from the power supply. This is just one of those things I'll have to test when I get it. This is going to be a fun one as we should know at the end of the year more about ZEN and Vega, as well as the possible Titan and 6700K successor.

Dan, you should now reallocate some of the double case tiers towards the black single case tier again!

I like where your thought process is as I looked into this possibility as well, the only thing that I can see that would cause an issue are the cables/connectors from the power supply. This is just one of those things I'll have to test when I get it. This is going to be a fun one as we should know at the end of the year more about ZEN and Vega, as well as the possible Titan and 6700K successor.
I think if you used SFX instead of SFX-L it would be fine, but yeah, definitely something to fiddle with after you get it.

Personally I'm considering sidegrading my 980 for a 480 if it's about equal, but I'm not sure.
If I don't I'll be waiting for Vega/ Volta.

Hi Dan, can you give an idea of how much space there is for a 2.5" hard disk at the bottom of the case for the power/sata connectors to go - do we definitely need right angle connectors? Thanks.

There is only one situation where you have to use a angled connector. If you use a itx motherboard that have angled sata connectors that point to the SFX psu. Silverstone has very thin sata cables with this angled connectors that fits between psu and motherboard.

dondan

I think it's good, maybe for the pricebreaker one you should say that u can buy the silveretta cpu cooler, it is like 18-20€ and perform a lot better than the stock one.

Maybe the entusiast one should list the Corsair SF600 so you can add up to 3 ssd/hdd (2.5") a lot of people need plenty storage, and with that corsair psu you have enough power for any gpu/cpu in the future (like a dual-gpu) and more warranty (7 years) and still silent!

But the enthusiast one need faster ram, like 3.000/3.200mhz, some people won't notice any difference, but if u have an x99 platform it's good to have faster ram, it's good for rendering and doing editing stuff etc, and u will gain some fps in gaming, not bad.

But only my opinion!

Last edited:
Is this a real GPU? Has to be the worst cooler graphics I've ever seen.

B8fsoWi.png
Yes aesthetic wise it is terrible, but at least it is not the worst priced gpu. Dan demonstrated that open air/non-blower coolers to perform better in this case, but maybe his selection is due to lack of reasonably priced AIB boards available at this time, so hopefully he updates this list again in the near future.

On another note, the kickstarter campaign has now raised more than 3x the original goal.

Hi guys! One last thing... Does anyone have a definite answer of whether or not it would be safe to put a 950 pro on the back of the motherboard in this case?

Hi guys! One last thing... Does anyone have a definite answer of whether or not it would be safe to put a 950 pro on the back of the motherboard in this case?

Unless Dan does more testing with a new set of components in the chassis, I think we will need to wait until the chassis is out in the wild and others are trying themselves and reporting back…

Now, as I had posted a few pages back, this could be a solution if folks start reporting in with thermal throttling issues:

Intel bridges the U.2 gap with an M.2 cable for its 750 Series SSD

ssdu2.jpg

You would have to mount the 2.5" SSD in the drive cage below the PSU, as it is too thick (15mm) to mount behind the front panel…

The ambition was to make the pest price configurations for every setup. This is why I don't use a $1500 10-core CPU or $4000 22-core Xeon in the enthusiast setup. Same for the drives, feel free to add more.

itschop: Cheapest way to get a GTX 1080. Noiselevel and cooling performance should be similar to founders edition.

thejestb: You have to test it by your own. If you copy tons of gigabyte every day, the 950 pro could become to hot.

jb1: You can't buy the Thermalright fan without buying the AXP 100.

Last edited:
The ambition was to make the pest price configurations for every setup. This is why I don't use a $1500 10-core CPU or $4000 22-core Xeon in the enthusiast setup. Same for the drives, feel free to add more.

itschop: Cheapest way to get a GTX 1080. Noiselevel and cooling performance should be similar to founders edition.

thejestb: You have to test it by your own. If you copy tons of gigabyte every day, the 950 pro could become to hot.

jb1: You can't buy the Thermalright fan without buying the AXP 100.

So the 950 pro should be good for normal regular use?

That's awesome, thanks. The black version is looking like its a lot more popular, congrats on selling through all of them so fast!
I've picked silver cause, knowing from my three ncases experience, the black panels from Lian Li are fingerprint magnets. Honestly, knowing that this PC will be moved about often, I dunno why silver is not more popular.

I picked silver because i like more clear and light colors in cases and hardware, like white, light blue or this silver obviously.

By the way the silver one ''hide'' the fingersprints and dust.

But if somebody it's undecided, just pick the one which u like most :D

What are your experience with the Silverstone SFX SX-500 PSU, Dondan?
I've hear a lot of people are having troble with the PSU, but you are recommending it in your builds?
What about the Corsair SF450/600? Are they not better?

Suneks

The Corsair one cost more but it is very silent and has better warranty, like 7 years.

I pref the SF450/600.

I own Silverstone SFX-L 500W and can not recommend it to anyone. I will be buying Corsair's 450W and selling Silverstone (hope I can get 50% of what I paid for it - 80eur)

The $15 more for the Corsair SF450 are absolutely worth it IMO. No noise compared to a video card and there is high quality in every detail. It even comes in some fabric bags for the modular cables... Not that I have any personal experience with the Silverstone unit, but from what you read in the reviews Corsairs SFX PSUs are superior right now.

The #1 complaint regarding the Corsair SFX units seems to be that the cables are awkwardly sized, very stiff and hard to bend. Would any owners care to comment on that?

The #1 complaint regarding the Corsair SFX units seems to be that the cables are awkwardly sized, very stiff and hard to bend. Would any owners care to comment on that?
IMO, I think the complaints are a little overblown. The size is good, but they do run long in smaller cases but that's expected since they need to make the cables compatible for many cases.

They are stiff and that's the only complaint I have, BUT you could always warm/heat them up to make them bend when you're installing the cables. They would probably bend more easily if you separated the individual cables as well, but that would look ugly if you didn't organize it well.

And when I meant heat or warm up the cables, don't melt or burn them. I've just laid my cables out on a very hot day and that worked enough for me.

I picked silver because i like more clear and light colors in cases and hardware, like white, light blue or this silver obviously.
By the way the silver one ''hide'' the fingersprints and dust.
But if somebody it's undecided, just pick the one which u like most :D

Exactly why I'm getting the silver - in my experience, it has also been much better with fingerprints.
Custom Corsair SF Series Cables For people who don't like the cables that come with the corsair SF. 20 cm should be good.

im loving every bit of this case except for one thing, lack of 3.5 inch drives. im not a hardware geek so someone feel free to correct me but 3.5inch hdds have around 64mb of cache vs 2.5 inch hdds which top out around 16mb cache. that and the price for 3.5 inch hdds 1tb or more is cheaper than 2.5inch hdds and ssds. i will be planning on using a m.2 drive, a 2.5 inch ssd AND a 3.5 inch drive. does anyone know if there is an adapter that can fit a 3.5 inch hdd into the 2.5 inch mounting bracket?

im loving every bit of this case except for one thing, lack of 3.5 inch drives. im not a hardware geek so someone feel free to correct me but 3.5inch hdds have around 64mb of cache vs 2.5 inch hdds which top out around 16mb cache. that and the price for 3.5 inch hdds 1tb or more is cheaper than 2.5inch hdds and ssds. i will be planning on using a m.2 drive, a 2.5 inch ssd AND a 3.5 inch drive. does anyone know if there is an adapter that can fit a 3.5 inch hdd into the 2.5 inch mounting bracket?

A bracket that allows a 3.5" drive to fit into a 2.5" drive mount…?

Right there, between the Shelf Stretcher & the Left-Handed Monkey Wrench…

Seriously though, there is no 16MB cache limit for 2.5" HDDs…

There are plenty of 2.5" HDDs out there with 1TB+ capacity…

3.5" drives are rapidly going the way of the ODD & the Floppy…

Last edited:

Seriously: Samsung Momentus 4TB

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back