DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

I hope the one who uploaded it on vimeo last time will help us out soon :D

@ the ones with vessel subscription: Any important testing/conclusion in the review?

2. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

tl:dr

Glowing review
    EVGA 1080 classified fits, doesn't throttle but doesn't boost quite as high as it does in cases with active airflow.

raildex1 and Aircoookie like this.
  3. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

How is the noise with the 600w vs the 450 (when the 450 was working, at least.)

Reviews say the SF600 has a more "aggressive" fan profile than the 450, and Tom's review said Corsair told them this was not intended (implication to me being it would get fixed.) The fan profile is my primary issue here. I plan on using the PC for streaming media at 4k in addition to gaming and I don't want the 600 fan getting antsy when it doesn't need to. I won't overclock the Titan and may barely OC the i7.

raildex1 and antmest like this.
  4. antmest

antmest [H]Lite

i've just bought a sf450w and i'm planning to build a i5 6600 and a gtx \070-1080:)

5. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

Checked that guy's account that uploaded the last one, looks like they grabbed this one too!
    Audio is kind of shitty though.

mcheddadi and Dethroy like this.
  6. jhcpw

jhcpw n00b

when will we be able to preorder from ocuk or caseking?

7. Zanwald

Zanwald n00b

I want this case now. Luke finished driving it home. Now I'm anxious for it to release or someone to seriously sell theirs.

8. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

To be honest, I can't hear it at idle, and at full pc loads my videocard makes the most noise (so I cant hear it then either).

9. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Thanks for the video!

What shipping issues is the reviewer talking about? The case hasnt even shipped yet!

Other than that, seems like a glowing review to me. Bet there'll be a lot of interest when the video gets on youtube.

10. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I think luke is talking about other kickstarted projects having shipping issues, I also thought that was a bit out of place.

JoeH823 likes this.
  11. Barbarian_PT

Barbarian_PT Limp Gawd

That's a noise little PSU... I have one...

12. Dethroy

Dethroy n00b

Yours must be faulty then. The Corsair SF450 is one of, if not the quietest SFX PSU on the market thus far.

antmest likes this.
  13. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

By "noise little" he means quiet, I think. Otherwise he would have written "noisy".

14. CknSalad

CknSalad Limp Gawd

dondan If you have not already done this, I would consider posting links to your site and this HardForum thread on the Dan A4 Kickstarter. So many people are asking the same questions in regards to cpu cooling especially. I have tried to make it easy for the DAN A4 backers by linking them to a chart of your second cpu cooling test (including the CryOrig C7) while giving them a brief analysis as to why the C7 did best. In addition, I gave them the link to this hardforum thread, so hopefully there will be less redundant questions being asked on your KickStarter page.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Curiositie likes this.
  15. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Well! After a deep dive into the SF600 and the SX700 it looks like I am going to wait until the last minute to buy either (or just go with the SF450) since both appear to have funky fan profiles (for now).

antmest likes this.
  16. Zanwald

Zanwald n00b

Offering $350 for anyone selling one of their cases. Shoot me a PM.

17. spda242

spda242 n00b

As I said been thinking about 6700 since I want the system reasonable quiet but do we have any idea how much more noise a 6700K (non OC) would make? Cryorig C7 seem to speced for managing that at least or will the Strix 1080 most likely be the loudest component anyway? (I been using it a little bit in my old Prodigy case and it seem to be quite quiet).

18. Barbarian_PT

Barbarian_PT Limp Gawd

Sorry, I meant noisy. When I have the computer in idle, the PSU is the louder component of the PC.

19. Lazer1337

Lazer1337 Limp Gawd

Very odd, even on full load mine wasn't loud at all.

20. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

I'm running almost the same config you plan on using :D It's great although I can assure you that the C7 with my non-OCed 6700K is certainly louder than the Strix 1080.

21. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

I currently have a 6700K (non-OC), using a NH-l9i, Corsair SF600, integrated graphics only, in a Nano S case. With a custom silent profile on case and CPU fans in UEFI, I can't hear a thing when gaming or encoding videos which taxes the CPU 100%. But this case is noise dampened, and with rather cool air surrounding the SF600. If I add a graphics card I would probably hear it. I am fairly sure the same hardware in the A4 would be quite a bit louder. The NH-L9i is barely enough to cool the 6700K quietly. But it's surprisingly quiet up until 1500rpm or so.

22. crisisv87akd

crisisv87akd n00b

dondan What are your thoughts on Linus' and Luke's review? :D

23. DG25

DG25 Gawd

Where can i see this Luke's review? I think i missed it. Thanks.

24. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

It is on vessel. Someone also shared it on Vimeo a few posts back. It should be on YouTube soon.

DG25 likes this.
  25. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

Here:

DG25 likes this.
  26. CknSalad

CknSalad Limp Gawd

I noticed there was a gpu hole gap on the back of the case in Luke's video. dondan will it be this way as well on the final shipped A4 case?

27. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Do you mean the gab over the screw points of the PCIe slot bracket?​

28. CknSalad

CknSalad Limp Gawd

dondan, yes that is what I meant. sorry for not being clear.

29. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Im thinking of picking up some dust filters for the side panels..as I understand, aluminium is not magnetic so i will just tape them on the inside...but does anyone know what the dimensions of the ventilation holes are on each of the side panels? Would a 240mm dual fan type filter be able to completely cover the side panel vents? Or would I need a custom filter size?

30. dominathan

dominathan [H]Lite

I definitely would love to put dust filters on the vents. Maybe we could use some adhesive-backed magnets and stick those on the back of the panel, and then be able to remove them? Is there a CAD model of the case we can use for measurements?

Aircoookie likes this.
  31. Xan-Z

Xan-Z [H]Lite

I want to put dust filters on this case too, but i think i'm going to pass.

This case is so tiny that you can clean it so easily.

I use specials dusters, like ''Compucleaner'' (I have this one) and ''Datavac'' (i don't have try this one)

But they both work good.

Others big cases are a pain to clean, you need to remove everything, but with this case you clean one chamber then the other and all good.

Maybe if there is a good filters options when i get the case i will use them.

32. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

Is it bad that I'm considering buying a refurbished optiplex 7040 for the 6600T in it?
    I'd resell the rest or rerpurpose it I guess, but I really want that CPU.
    35W and almost the exact some performance that I have with my 3570K @4.2

Edit:
    Looks like you can get a 6700T for less than the refurb optiplex, lol

33. timojarv

timojarv n00b

Looking at the pictures it seems that the front has 2 separate aluminum panels 1cm apart. I wondered if it would somehow be possible to cut an opening to the inner panel so that a longer GPU could fit. I have the zotac 970 extreme core, which is 303mm so just a few millimeters too long and I think it would be stupid to sell it just to get a bit shorter card because the 970 prices have dropped so much since the new generation GPUs were released.

34. goldy

goldy [H]ard|Gawd

The fan isn't even suppose to spin until it's under heavier load with the SF450. You either have a faulty PSU, or a very hot case. Direct from Corsair SF450 product page:

35. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I would probably be smarter to change GPUs, I imagine dan didn't put a hole there himself for structural reasons.

36. william quick

william quick n00b

I currently have the c7 cooler, I just purchased the Alpenföhn Silvretta, does anyone have any ideas on temps for this thing? I know Dan said it works in the case. The C7 is constantly at 2k rpms with an i7 6700, even at 60c.

37. goldy

goldy [H]ard|Gawd

The 950 is probably a bad idea in this case. I've some people report it gets hot and throttles. And that is in cases with active case cooling and m2 slots on the top side of the board, which would help alleviate more of the heat. Here is one example. Shows it getting upwards of 72c without the custom installed heatsinks. That prob isn't a good idea when it's under the motherboard and sandwiched between a motherboard and gpu.

38. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Any updates dondan? Does Lian li send any pretty pics of the manufacturing process? :)

39. Jann5s

Jann5s [H]Lite

You are right and the m.2 SSD will probably get hot and may throttle, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. A throttling m.2 950pro will probably be faster than any SATA connected SSD.

This is what Allyn Malventano writes over at PC Perspective:
    "As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

Dethroy, TheHobbyist and Jspr like this.
  40. promaty

promaty [H]Lite