Damaged video connector...

So a PC comes in for repair today. The onboard video connector is literally hanging by a thread. The customer decided to yank the cord out without unfastening the connector. There appears to be no other damage. Easy fix I think...so I pop in a pci vid card and boot the system. No go. I tried about 5 cards and every slot just to be sure. I even checked for corresponding mobo jumpers but there arent any. I've never had a PC come in like this before. Is this the end of the line for that mobo? Why wouldnt adding a card work?

Thanks in advance.

Can't you solder the connector back on? Medieval perhaps, but might get the job done without replacing the motherboard.

kirbyrj said:
Can't you solder the connector back on? Medieval perhaps, but might get the job done without replacing the motherboard.

Well, I can surely try but its a long shot. The leads are a twisted mess and the conector itself is broken so I'd need to get another.

But if that worked... why wouldnt another card?

The video output is probably set in BIOS to 'onboard' as default, so no matter what card you put in, it will still try to display through its onboard video.

I would just replace the entire mobo, seeing as it already has physical damage.

the ripped out connector could have a short, and for all you know, this guy ripped it out while it was powered up. new motherboard. if it has onboard vid its probably a $60 - $70 board anyway.

Aratech said:
Well, I can surely try but its a long shot. The leads are a twisted mess and the conector itself is broken so I'd need to get another.

But if that worked... why wouldnt another card?

IF the leads are twisted around you may have a short. You can desolder the connctor and try a video card and see if that does it. Pretty much I would say new motherboard as well unless something elce is messing up on it as well. Desoldering can be a pain.

Back