Damaged CPU Socket = Everything is Reeeally slow

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm building this rig.. it's based on a Q6600 and a P35 board,

When I notice that some of the pins on the socket are bent. Or.. the underside of the pins.. it occurs to me that there are two parts. The one that connects to the motherboard, not the CPU.

I install the CPU anyway, and it works just fine. Never missed a beep.

However.. it's like the rig is going at 5 times slower than my time.

It takes over a minute for the Windows loading screen to even initialize (the part before the four colored dots converge in the center to make up the Winows logo)..

When I try to install Windows, it loads like I'm on a 45Mhz 486 with 2MB of RAM and a 2D GPU.

So.. I think this is weird. I honestly think I'm going to have to scrap the board. I just don't think I can perfectly align those pins.

This ever happen to anyone else here?

Are you talking about the pins that stick out through the back of the motherboard? Or the pins in the socket itself? Can you provide a picture? I don't see how bent pins would cause your problem, they would either do nothing, or cause a short that likely would prevent booting.

Are you talking about the pins that stick out through the back of the motherboard? Or the pins in the socket itself? Can you provide a picture? I don't see how bent pins would cause your problem, they would either do nothing, or cause a short that likely would prevent booting.

Exactly what I thought. I'll have pics as soon as I un-install everything.

EDIT: Here are the pics:

23734124.jpg

26693785.jpg

As you can see, there is some kind of hair or lint, mostly likely from a paper towel or small cloth. It might have been me or it might have been the person from whom I bought this board on eBay.
The problem is, this is the microscopic level. It's not even visible to the naked eye. So, I have almost no way of cleaning it.

The strangest thing is.. this board worked great. Then I place it for storage and half a year later.. this.

Last edited:
Okay, I've done what I can with the pins.

I changed:

-The graphics card
-The RAM
-The PSU
-The Cooler

Nothing. What should I do?

It looks like you smashed down all the pins. I can't say I've ever seen pins like that. Try using air to blow it off or vacuum or better yet, both. Also do that to the CPU to make sure. If in fact they're smashed, I'm surprised it even booted-up.

I wouldn't risk running on a board with pins as mangled and dirty as the ones you have. Pins are gold plated for a reason, and that's conductivity. Yours has many problems. S775 boards are a dime a dozen. I got an ASUS P5K Deluxe for $20 off classifieds. P35 is also not the greatest chipset anyway. It's not a big loss. Get another S775 board. If you really want to overclock that Q6600, you'll need a P45 to get the most out of it. My Q6600 overclocked 600MHz more on a P45 (3.6GHz) board than the same chip did on a P35 (3.0GHz).

It looks like you smashed down all the pins. I can't say I've ever seen pins like that. Try using air to blow it off or vacuum or better yet, both. Also do that to the CPU to make sure. If in fact they're smashed, I'm surprised it even booted-up.

Actually, I think it might be downright working.

I had the same issue on my 680i SLi board back in 2008..

It's very odd, but for some reason, it takes forever to get through BIOS toggle, Windows installation, etc. But when it comes to running Windows, it's fine.

I spread some thermal grease remover on the pins. I honestly don't think that blowing air or using a vacuum will work in the least.

I wouldn't risk running on a board with pins as mangled and dirty as the ones you have. Pins are gold plated for a reason, and that's conductivity. Yours has many problems. S775 boards are a dime a dozen. I got an ASUS P5K Deluxe for $20 off classifieds. P35 is also not the greatest chipset anyway. It's not a big loss. Get another S775 board. If you really want to overclock that Q6600, you'll need a P45 to get the most out of it. My Q6600 overclocked 600MHz more on a P45 (3.6GHz) board than the same chip did on a P35 (3.0GHz).

Why is it "risky"? If it's super-slow, that's one thing, but do you think it can actually damage the CPU?

Also, 775 boards are not really all that cheap. P5Q Pro Turbo boards still sell for 75$+ on eBay and below that there is only another P35 board..

Okay, I am running off a version of Windows that boots off of a USB stick.

Everything is tip-top. Ran Super-Pi.. 21.687 seconds. That's spot on with a stock Q6600.

It's all really smooth. No lags on anything.

So these are my questions:

1.) Is it worth it to stick with this board even though boot times will likely be high?
2.) Can I sell this board on eBay considering the high boot times?

I don't know that I'd continue running that board - too much risk of it shorting out the CPU and damaging it also. The hair and stuff is probably not a big problem, it may be making poor contact but that's all, but those bent pins in the middle look like trouble - too easy for those to be shorting out/touching the wrong contacts.

Edit: Maybe you just need to defrag or repair your Windows install, if it is running fine once it gets booted up.

Maybe it's the HDD then?

Seems to me that this hasn't been ruled out yet.

Maybe it's the HDD then?

Seems to me that this hasn't been ruled out yet.

Switched to P5Q Pro Turbo.

Already installed Windows.

Everything runs flawlessly.

Anyone want the P35 board? Just pay shipping.

If there are not takers, I'm going to spray-paint it in an effort to test whether it will still work.

Those pins on the bottom pic kinda look burnt to me.

Not all the pins are used and if it's works you got lucky. :)

1.) Is it worth it to stick with this board even though boot times will likely be high?
2.) Can I sell this board on eBay considering the high boot times?

We still have no idea why boot times are like that. Is that boot via USB on the new board or the old one?

There might be something wrong with the Southbridge on that board or the SATA controller. Are you on the wrong bios setting? Is your HDD in PIO mode for some reason?

We still have no idea why boot times are like that. Is that boot via USB on the new board or the old one?

There might be something wrong with the Southbridge on that board or the SATA controller. Are you on the wrong bios setting? Is your HDD in PIO mode for some reason?

It's not any specific hard drive.

Anything you try to do on that board before you get to Windows is like running in Slow-Mo.

I had a very similar issue on my 680i SLi.

I looked at the BIOS. Went over each setting.. there is nothing there.

I really wish I knew what the problem is, but I likely won't.

It is very risky running the system with bend CPU pin.
Is there a chance you can coordinate with Gigabyte RMA if they can fixed the cpu socket?
Is your motherboard still under warranty?
I guess it has Three years warranty.

It is very risky running the system with bend CPU pin.
Is there a chance you can coordinate with Gigabyte RMA if they can fixed the cpu socket?
Is your motherboard still under warranty?
I guess it has Three years warranty.

CPU sockets are never covered under warranty. Bent pins are the #1 reason warranties are voided and/or rejected. They warn you in the fine print to return boards with the socket protector on and if there is any damage, it will not be covered.

Exactly what I thought. I'll have pics as soon as I un-install everything.

EDIT: Here are the pics:

23734124.jpg

26693785.jpg

As you can see, there is some kind of hair or lint, mostly likely from a paper towel or small cloth. It might have been me or it might have been the person from whom I bought this board on eBay.
The problem is, this is the microscopic level. It's not even visible to the naked eye. So, I have almost no way of cleaning it.

The strangest thing is.. this board worked great. Then I place it for storage and half a year later.. this.

i got news for ya, i would have immediately seen this with the naked eye. then again my eyes are trained to work on thousandth of an inch scale, if not microns, but that stuff there is a friggin boat

i got news for ya, i would have immediately seen this with the naked eye. then again my eyes are trained to work on thousandth of an inch scale, if not microns, but that stuff there is a friggin boat

Thanks, but I like my news from a reliable source :D

Back