D5 Pump Start Delayed on Boot

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by VanGoghComplex, Jul 9, 2018.

1. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

Hey all, I've emailed AquaComputer about this too, but thought I'd get some opinions here:

I'm having an issue with an Aquacomputer D5 Pump with Aquabus, and an Aquaero 6LT.

Beginning about a week ago, when booting my computer, my D5 pump will not spin immediately. The time it takes to start varies - sometimes the pump begins to turn a few seconds after the computer powers on, and sometimes the computer completes POST and loads the OS before the pump starts. In the latter case, the Aquasuite software reports 0RPM on the pump until it begins.

When the pump does begin to turn, it starts with a surge of speed, then drops down to minimum, before ramping to 100%, where I have it set in the Aquaero.

The pump is powered via 4-pin Molex from the PSU, and connected to the Aquaero via Aquabus and my motherboard via USB. The Aquaero recognizes the pump and can control it normally once it starts.

Both the pump and Aquaero are less than one year old, and the pump has recently been cleaned along with the rest of the loop - I don't believe there could be anything obstructing it. I'm using Aquaero Double Protect Ultra coolant.

Any thoughts, folks?

2. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

Does the pump start immediately if you bypass the 6LT? The Aquero should be immediately firing up pumps and fans to 100% then ramp them down to where they belong to overcome startup voltage issues. If it isn't doing that for the pump at the same time it does this for the fans it may well be a problem with the controller rather than the pump's brushless variable speed control circuits.

pendragon1 likes this.
  3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

^ what he said. just unplug it from the controller and see if it runs full blast right away.

4. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

I got the same advice from AquaComputer and tried it over lunch this morning. No dice - the pump, even only on Molex power with no data connection to the Aquaero or Mobo, did not start until well beyond OS load.

According to AquaComputer, this means either the pump's onboard controller or the motor itself is faulty.

It sucks, but as it was purchased just this February, Performance-PCs said they'll exchange the item on RMA instead of me having to warranty it through AquaComputer.

Considering just replacing it with a vario. The AquaBus connection was neat, but of very limited utility for my use case.

cyberguyz and pendragon1 like this.