D5 pump life? Replace?

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by Justintoxicated, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated [H]ardForum Junkie

When should I replace my D5 pump?

I bought it in 2006.

I'm also still running some Panaflo L1A and L1BX fans. Still work like new. I didn't think computer stuff was supposed to last this long? My PSU is 12 years old too, really thinking about getting a new one just because it can't be 100% anymore. Especially after reading Kyles article on the website.

I was thinking about getting some used D5s and changing to a dual pump setup?

2. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex Gawd

They're non-contact motors, so I imagine that if the bearing is still good, the pump is probably still good. The D5s are industrial designs, so it's not surprising that they last a long time.

3. noxqzs

noxqzs [H]Lite

I have a few running about that long. The one thing you will want to change is the 0-ring if you ever open the case to clean out the impeller. O-rings tend to get brittle over time.

Justintoxicated and KedsDead like this.
  4. guitarslingerchris

guitarslingerchris Failure is just success rounded down

My D5s are from 2006 and 2008 and I don't think they're headed out any time soon.

5. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

They're near indestructible. I say wait until it starts making unusual noise or vibration.

6. celwin

celwin Gawd

Mine lasted 7 years. The impeller started grinding against it's enclosure

rgMekanic likes this.
  7. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

There's pumps from like 10 years ago that still work...the external ones all of them are about indestructible it seems like.

8. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

I had 2 Corsair branded D5's I bought during a clearance. One was DOA and the other one had the squeal of death while it ran. I took it apart and added a dab of heavy axle grease which calmed it for 5 years that I used it. Tried to RMA the dead one, but Corsair claimed the pumps came in a kit and I would have to send in the entire kit for RMA.

Needless to say I got fucked. Tho the D5 pumps are built like tanks, I've never owned another Corsair product since. The current D5 I'm using is a Lowara brand I purchased from Hardass some years ago. Still going strong.

I vote if the pump is still running, run that mofo till it dies. Overtemp protection will kick in long before any damage will come to the chip.

9. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Same here on one of mine, started grinding and vibrating so hard randomly that I could hear it across the house and feel it in the wall next to the PC.

At the age that the OPs are at, I would keep a spare around at least.

10. arnemetis

arnemetis [H]ard|Gawd

My ddc 3.2's are still going after 9 years, and it runs pretty much 24x7 (folding previously, now mining.) They'll last until they don't. I don't know as it's worth trying to predict when it will fail.