D2D 5 Year Anniversary Sale- $5 a Game (50 Games)

Wow, I thought that was $5 off and though "big whoop". There's some good games though for only $5. haha.

And they're going to be doing 10 games a week for a month? Interesting... I see a large postcount in this threads future.

There's some good games though for only $5.

Some? They all look like a good deal @ $5/each.

I've only played Far Cry (still worth $5). I think I might own one of the others, but otherwise no experience with the others.

X-Com complete pack for $5 sounds like a steal. Civ 4 is supposed to be great.

Anyone care to say what's not worth $5 before I buy 'em all?

x-com is hard, i wouldn't recommend it unless you've played it before since digital copies probably won't come with a good manual.

civ4 is good, but it's time (or soul, depending on how you play) consuming. farcry is a good game, but you can get it for free, you can get the ad supported version on fileplanet or fileshack (forget which).

dow: goty for $5 is a steal.

X-com Terror from the Deep was great, unfortunately you almost HAD to cheat to win!

X-com Terror from the Deep was great, unfortunately you almost HAD to cheat to win!

XCOM and XCOM:TFTD were INCREDIBLE, I picked them up again in the complete XCOM Bundle STEAM had back last December (not like you couldn't find XCOM on the internet easily enough.... ;) but I wanted to make a statement saying MORE LIKE THIS PLEASE. I played them both brand new way back when in the early/mid 90s... and believe me, the final mission in TFTD was the most gruelling experience ever, I literally won that the first time (that I won!) with only one of my squad members still alive after the second part of the mission; the rest got eaten over the second level, the one you can't save for. Cyndonia was WAY easier, and it was tough enough. Still haven't found time to play XCOM 3, which I did NOT play way back when.

Yeah, XCOM is somewhat hard, and cheating makes it a LOT easier (because money is so tight for so long), same as with TFTD. But you can find good tutorials/guides (*for those who don't know, there are no play throughs, since it's somewhat random*) that can go a long way in teaching a new player the ins and outs of the game... just wait until in XCOM they get that first Battleship mission.... or in TFTD when they get their first Terror Mission... or the first mission that the Tentaculas show up on.....

How does D2D work? Is there a certain amount of time they allow you to download your game?

D2D isnt like steam at all. It is download and play. The game will be tied to your machine with securom.

I would bite if it was on steam but d2d I will pass.

From what I understand D2D has limited activations but you can ask them for more after your initial amount. AFAIK like steam you can download the game for as long as they are in business but unlike steam there is no client to run on your system. You can download the setup files direct to your PC with your web browser. The protection is not securom only it can be from any virus *cough* sorry DRM maker (ie SecuROM, Tages, Starforce) it is up to the publisher. I guess the limited activations are also up to the publishers and maybe those without are up to D2D?

from the D2D FAQ:
All licensing has a limit to the number of simultaneous activation to protect the product. However our customer service will see to it that should you encounter a need for more licenses that you are accommodated.

I am tempted by Chaos Theory and Civ4. I just sent off an email to D2D to find out if starforce is still on Chaos Theory. If it is I won't be buying it even if they dropped it to $0.01. SF will never be on any of my machines again I don't care how good the game is or how they "changed" their ways. I never ran into any major issues with either SecuROM or Tages yet but had issues with both safedisc and Starforce. Major issues with SF so I won't let it on any system I own and tell anyone who asks me for PC help that they are on their own if they install anything with it cause my only solution for them is format C: and reinstall since that was the only way I could get one of my old systems running correctly again after installing a game with it.

Might grab X-Comm, but I'm more interested in what is going to be going on for the next two weeks. I'm hoping for some really good $5 RPGs.

Just in case anyone is interested I got back an email from D2D support they said there is no DRM on Chaos Theory.
Thank you for the updated information. This title is DRM free, which means that there is no protection on it.

I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. I think I'll pass on Civ4 I kind of want the complete version since it has all the expansion packs built into it so it comes out to $10 each per game/expansion pack.

Unless D2D has changed since that last time I used it which was a little over a year ago they do not use Securom or anything like that to install your game. What you do is download the install file, you then install the game, after the game is installed it asks you for the activation key which is given to you when you buy the game. You type in your activation key and bam it's done. They limit how many times the game can be activated so one person doesn't hand his key to all his buddies. As I said this was from when I used it a year ago it could be different now.

If it has DRM it will tell you on the game page. For instance look at the page for Farcry 2. Even though it's a shit game noone would ever want to play it has DRM no matter where you get it from, so that is the game I use as a test to see if a digital game seller is being up front about DRM. however the TOS says:
The Usage Rules are subject to change at any time and IGN makes no promises regarding your ongoing ability to activate your Products.
and frankly I can't live without that promise, sorry IGN.

Last edited:
If it has DRM it will tell you on the game page. For instance look at the page for Farcry 2. Even though it's a shit game noone would ever want to play it has DRM no matter where you get it from, so that is the game I use as a test to see if a digital game seller is being up front about DRM. however the TOS says:

and frankly I can't live without that promise, sorry IGN.

Then you better not buy any digital products because no one promises that will we able to activate forever.

Then you better not buy any digital products because no one promises that will we able to activate forever.

GoG does. They might not guarantee you can download it from them forever, but you will always be able to install and play any game you have downloaded from them since they are 100% DRM free.

As far as download services go from my experience:
GoG > Impulse > Steam

D2D is probably lower than Steam but I haven't bought anything from them yet today will probably be a first for Chaos Theory.

I gave it a go and bought Chaos Theory, now I will finally play it. I picked up the retail box years ago at Target for $14 and then found out about the Starforce crap way to late to return it. So I guess it wound up costing me over $20 now. Hope its good still. :)

GoG does. They might not guarantee you can download it from them forever, but you will always be able to install and play any game you have downloaded from them since they are 100% DRM free.

GoG > Impulse > Steam

D2D is probably lower than Steam but I haven't bought anything from them yet today will probably be a first for Chaos Theory.

Steam has always been fine for me. I never understood the hate towards it. When Steam first came out with CS1.6, I hated how slow it was but now it has matured greatly and runs quick.

GoG > Impulse > Steam

GoG is the exception, but good point.

Red Faction will be the first time I use Impulse. Well, I used it on a friend's computer to play Demigod but that doesn't really count.

Outside of the offline issues, I like Steam. Don't really have many complaints about it.

DAO DDE will be my first experience with D2D. Well I did pre-order Mass Effect from them, but I ended up winning a free copy of it from EA and Bioware so I had to cancel the pre-order. That experience went really good.

EA's service is the only slightly annoying one, but it looks like they removed the whole "pay more for more download time" thing since I don't see it when I add digital copies of games to the cart.

Steam has always been fine for me. I never understood the hate towards it. When Steam first came out with CS1.6, I hated how slow it was but now it has matured greatly and runs quick.

It's akin to the people who don't use programs/OSes that aren't open source because the man has control over them and their property. Everybody else realizes that companies would never do the shit they could do because then nobody would buy their shit anymore.

Oh I have not had any real problems with steam. I actually like it a lot considering how large my games list is. The 2 inherent problem with it for me is that the client needs to always be running for it to work and it can just slow things down when you want to just double click the game icon and start playing, and the other is they can ban your account and you can lose everything you ever bought from them. Now I do understand the need for having the ability to ban an account, but it does worry me. Similarly offline mode is available but it seems to be a weird workaround they put in and I don't use it at all. It is a bit of a useless feature especially to me, because I am always connected to the net unless something on the ISP's end goes wrong and I have no control over that. So in a situation where I won't have net access and I want to play a single player game on my steam list generally won't work because I am never in offline mode before the net connection issues happened.

It's akin to the people who don't use programs/OSes that aren't open source because the man has control over them and their property. Everybody else realizes that companies would never do the shit they could do because then nobody would buy their shit anymore.

It's not about the fear of them doing stuff with the power they have cause as you said they would lose a lot of customers by doing such heavy handed things, but it is because they can be forced to do it by someone else that should cause a bit of angst about the service. For example, GoG had 2 games I purchased from them but they were taken off their service because the publisher lost the rights to distribute the game or the right to use something in the game. So they sent everyone who bought the game an email saying they had to remove it from their service and they couldn't host the file anymore because of legal issues so back up the file you downloaded cause what you have is it. Now think of what would happen if this happened with a steam game. They wouldn't let you download it again, but because you need their service to even start the game, does that mean a publisher because they lost their rights to the game or something in it's content, can tell steam you must disable the game that people had already bought? In this example, GoG has a very clear advantage, once you bought it and downloaded it is yours no activations or anything really makes it your game to use for as long as you have a copy of the installer. The other services can be questionable though.

Oh I have not had any real problems with steam. I actually like it a lot considering how large my games list is. The 2 inherent problem with it for me is that the client needs to always be running for it to work and it can just slow things down when you want to just double click the game icon and start playing, and the other is they can ban your account and you can lose everything you ever bought from them. Now I do understand the need for having the ability to ban an account, but it does worry me. Similarly offline mode is available but it seems to be a weird workaround they put in and I don't use it at all. It is a bit of a useless feature especially to me, because I am always connected to the net unless something on the ISP's end goes wrong and I have no control over that. So in a situation where I won't have net access and I want to play a single player game on my steam list generally won't work because I am never in offline mode before the net connection issues happened.

It's not about the fear of them doing stuff with the power they have cause as you said they would lose a lot of customers by doing such heavy handed things, but it is because they can be forced to do it by someone else that should cause a bit of angst about the service. For example, GoG had 2 games I purchased from them but they were taken off their service because the publisher lost the rights to distribute the game or the right to use something in the game. So they sent everyone who bought the game an email saying they had to remove it from their service and they couldn't host the file anymore because of legal issues so back up the file you downloaded cause what you have is it. Now think of what would happen if this happened with a steam game. They wouldn't let you download it again, but because you need their service to even start the game, does that mean a publisher because they lost their rights to the game or something in it's content, can tell steam you must disable the game that people had already bought? In this example, GoG has a very clear advantage, once you bought it and downloaded it is yours no activations or anything really makes it your game to use for as long as you have a copy of the installer. The other services can be questionable though.

I see what you're saying and I think it's a valid concern; but to me (and most everybody else), it's just lower on the list in importance than price, convenience, etc.

I would assume that steam will never go under unless the media game just gets turned on it's head, and if it does, everything you bought through steam that could have been bought through physical means won't work anyway. I also have full confidence that if something on steam would get pulled, that valve would refund money to the customers involved. (or somehow compensate those involved)

EDIT: Can't wait til next week. There should be some killer games on D2D

I see what you're saying and I think it's a valid concern; but to me (and most everybody else), it's just lower on the list in importance than price, convenience, etc.

I would assume that steam will never go under unless the media game just gets turned on it's head, and if it does, everything you bought through steam that could have been bought through physical means won't work anyway. I also have full confidence that if something on steam would get pulled, that valve would refund money to the customers involved. (or somehow compensate those involved)

EDIT: Can't wait til next week. There should be some killer games on D2D

Valve has stated that should Steam ever go under they will remove the Steam limitations from the games. Whether this just applies to their own titles or all of them is unknown however.

Indeed. Can't wait for next week and for the RPG week.

I had trouble buying games.

No matter how many games I put in my basket (1, 2, or 3) it says I can only put a max of 3 in my basket. Then it says acct error when I try to purchase.

Well, at least I was quickly able to come to the conclusion that they are a crap service before I wasted too much money on them.

I was expecting better from a service that's been around for five years...

I bought NWN2 from D2d back when it came out. I had to reactivate it to install it because I installed it too many times. This was 6 months ago.

Wow, bioshock and chronicles of riddick: dark athena for 5 dollars each.

Just bought Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I can't wait till next week. These are some pretty insane deals.

Next week is RPG/MMO... Titan quest will definitely be one of them since it is 20 for the bundle. I'll be buying that for sure. I hope the witcher is also one of them. For MMOs they will probably have AOC since it is already so cheap. I'll have to pick that up as well.

Last edited:
Looks good. Some nice stuff there. I am waiting for the RPG list next week though.

Back