D-link based network won't reach 100mbps

conundrum

[H]ard|Gawd
I think I have narrowed down the problem but would like the [H]ords take on my problem. My home network will not reach anywhere close to 100mbps on data transfer over the network; the max I can get is around 35mbps. The only thing I can think that it is is that the D-link (DI-604) router that is being used as a DHCP server, Router, and Switch can not actually handle 100mbps even though it is rated for it. I know it isn't the cable because after creating a crossover connection with the cable I can reach a speed much closer to the 100mbps speed. Now I know that no matter what you do you will never hit the full 100mbps, but 35mbps is pitiful. So here is where I am at, what can I do to fix this, if anyone needs any more information on my network setup please feel free to ask.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Conundrum

You just found out why it costs $30 and does all that.

Make sure your PCs are auto-negotiating Full Duplex...but that's about it.

as long as you buy a decent dlink (aka, not the DI-504/604), it should pull 80mbit over the switchports.

netgear routers have the fastest switches ive seen in a home device though.

hey NetJunkie? any experience with D link? no? don't be so hasty. ive been running D link for years. their switches and other equipment is top notch for what it costs, and even then it performs better then other things dollar per dollar.

1) update firmware.
2) make sure you are running the traffic through the thing with full-duplex on
3) make sure that your traffic isn't routed through the internet (a la sharing via the IPs directly file://192.168.x.x)
4) run it as a router only, and go buy a good switch like a DSS-8+ or DSS-5+ or a netgear.

P.S. I have been running a DI-614+ for almolst two years. bought it new for almolst $90 (you can gnab one for $30 + s/h at www.computergeeks.com refurb'd) they have wireless B, 4 ports, a true switch built in (the DSS-5+ built in) and they perform like a champ. Ive never had a complaint about mine. ever.
I also gnabbed a DSS-5+ at the same time and ran that as my network switch. you cna gnab one of those for $14 + s/h refurb'd.

NetJunkie said:
You just found out why it costs $30 and does all that.

I have to agree with him. I have seen several people runnings the D-604 or similar cheap routers with crap performance. Personally I like to setup networking equipment to do one thing, and that thing well. I boosted my network performace by not using the switch that is built into my router. (Netgear FR114P) The only thing that hits my router are things that are going to and from the internet. Once I got all the local traffic off the router completely, I went up to 80+ mbps and my DSL average speed also went up about 100kbsp (11XX to 12XX kbps) I think this is because I am always streaming something off my file server.

And for LadyJaqie, my networking equipment is all D-link except my router. I love the vast majority of D-links products. As you might have already guessed, I don't like d-link routers. Epecially their cheap routers. It seems these are cheapened down to get more non-computer savy people buy them. There is a reason that you can get either the "all in one" wireless router or a stand alone AP with the same wireless speed/features for basically the same price. I think that performance and features is what suffers to get the routers down in price.

Merry Chrismas!! :)

I do agree for the new cheap ones, surprisingly.

and if you look, what did I do with mine? ;)

LadyJaqie said:
I do agree for the new cheap ones, surprisingly.

and if you look, what did I do with mine? ;)

That's because your the Queen of Tech and know all!! :p

LOLZ
wish I did :(

Well when I get gigabit I am switching to netgear.
I like how they operate on gigabit but not how D link does it. and hate thier new plastic cases. so cheap. :mad:

anyways, I still luff my DI-614+, it works great and gives me quite fast pings and transfers.
the 614+ wasnt a low dollar item...by the way...

LadyJaqie said:
Well when I get gigabit I am switching to netgear.
I like how they operate on gigabit but not how D link does it. and hate thier new plastic cases. so cheap. :mad:

I use D-Link's DGS-1008D switches for my gigabit machines. It actually works quite well. I have had a lot of netgear equipment go bad on me and am kinda gun shy about them now.
My Netgear router is in the nice metal case. Metal makes anything seem more rugged. A firewall just seems better when it is in a metal box. :cool:

Gah, looks like I will be shoping for some new gear.

I have a DI-624 which keeps crashing on me
a DI-604 which everyone says is crap.

So, I'm thinking one of these 2 setups, which would be the best, I am assuming setup 1 in the long run, but also what hardware should i be selecting for the Router/firewall and switches because it looks like I will be selling my DI-604 and getting either a DI-614 or something else similar.

Diagram:
drawing19nq.jpg

Conundrum

conundrum said:
So, I'm thinking one of these 2 setups, which would be the best, I am assuming setup 1 in the long run, but also what hardware should i be selecting for the Router/firewall and switches because it looks like I will be selling my DI-604 and getting either a DI-614 or something else similar.

Conundrum

How many things are you running on your network? I give all permanent stuff static IP addresses and only use DHCP on my laptop since it moves around and machines I am repairing. This would reduce the need for a stand alone dhcp server. If you have an extra machine lying around, you might want to consider a linux firewall. Something like smoothwall might be just what you are looking for. I have had my router for over a couple of years and am behind on the newest routers out there, but there are plenty of theads here that address it and they seem to like linksys. For switches I would recommend D-Link. :D Their stand alone switches work very nicely and are cheap.

setup2 with static IPs.

D link switches. just get a good router... run something with m0n0wall or smoothwall or even a DI-614+ or a netgear or something.

there enough computers in your house? sheesh :)

not to worry though, i have a total of 5. 2 of which i need to put to use.

my network as it exists today:

network.jpg

Not that big, but I am the only computer user in the house so everything you see if for me personally. I am planning on replacing my router with a smoothwall machine and creating a HTPC.

LadyJaqie said:
hey NetJunkie? any experience with D link? no? don't be so hasty. ive been running D link for years. their switches and other equipment is top notch for what it costs, and even then it performs better then other things dollar per dollar.

Yes, I do have experience with D-Link, as well as most other consumer grade switches. There is a reason those all-in-one boxes are only $30. I'm sure that box is top notch in the $30 range...but again, it's in the $30 range.

Go get a decent switch to use for intra-LAN performance and put the D-Link off of it so it only has to deal with Internet traffic.

Back