Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

@mad Catz RIch, i finally got a reply today on the second email, i'll see what that rep does and come to you if i haven't heard anything back.

I just got this mouse two weeks ago and LOVED it at first. Sadly, as of two days ago, my mouse has the annoying axis issue. At random times the left/right tracking freak out and the mouse moves up and down instead of left to right. The only way I can fix the issue is to unplug it and plug it back in. Unfortunately, the issue returns randomly. It looks like I'm going to have to return this and get something else. A real shame because the mouse is damn comfortable and I love the sniper button.

Are any of you guys using this mouse on the Razer exactmat control surface? I read its not so great on that mat but wanted an unbiased opinion. I'm an extreamly lazy gamer so I tend to lift my mouse after about 2 inches of movement on high sensitivity, but I like the big pad for when I get startled and need to react!

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thnx for all the posts by the way, it helps to read peoples comments.

don't ever buy a twin eye if you plan to lift, you'll just hate everything.

don't ever buy a twin eye if you plan to lift, you'll just hate everything.

Or use soft pads. Downward pressure=missed headshots.

Problem with the Twin-Eye is that it's able to track the Z-axis. Why anyone needs this is beyond me.

Personally didn't like this mouse. Felt like they were overcomplicated a simple thing. I would use the MX510 if it still existed. Mx518 for now, though.

Problem with the Twin-Eye is that it's able to track the Z-axis. Why anyone needs this is beyond me.

Probably just another bullet point for marketing, i.e. something that they can say their mice have that others don't. But I've used an awful lot of mice without z-axis tracking and guess what? They work just fine and I do not feel at a disadvantage.

so its been like 20 days since the last email from mad catz apparantly, they requested info for RMA and that was it WTF, never buying a product from them again. Gonna order a G500

Anyone see this:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=642&Itemid=65

He claims he saw none of the tracking issues with the R.A.T. 9 that he noticed in his 7 review

I truly hope his experience with the tracking of the 9 isn't some kind of fluke and there is a software fix available for the 7 at some point. I'm unable to return mine and am back to using the g9x which is unfortunate because the rat really is the most comfortable mouse i've ever used. For anyone who is on the fence i would highly recommend avoiding this mouse until (if) there is a fix for the tracking issues which really do make the mouse unusable for fps gaming.

More recently I'd been following the RAT 7, looks super customizable and bought it. Everything was great but it started doing wierd things in my games. In Serious Sam HD it would float up or down on it's own. I was in a constant tug and pull match to keep it level. So it's back in it's box! - HATED IT!

the reviewers are different on benchmark for rat7/rat9

Mad Catz Cyborg RAT-7 Laser Gaming Mouse E-mail
Reviews - Featured Reviews: Input Devices
Written by Vito Cassisi - Edited by Olin Coles
Tuesday, 03 August 2010

Mad Catz Cyborg RAT 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse E-mail
Reviews - Featured Reviews: Input Devices
Written by David Ramsey
Sunday, 21 November 2010

should have been the same reviewer.

I have heard bad things in general about twin eye laser designs, maybe is this mouse had something else there wouldn't be these issues.

DPI is the only thing it has going for it, which doesn't matter because computer mice have had high-enough DPI for a while now.

OK, so I've been folowing this thread since basically pag 3 (because the mouse really, really interested me), but only registered lately, just to get some info here and there.

Now, since R.A.T 9 is somewhere around the corner, I tought it might help give one last overall recap review on what the R.A.T 7, (based on impressions of the users of this thread) is al about.

To do so, I chose to represent 3 categories of users, as follows:

O.P. - Overall Pleased with the product. There may be some users that find the product, not 100% flawles, but the flaws they find do not represent a "dealbreaker" for them.

O.D. - Overall Disappointed with what the product offers. These users are mainly unhappy with what they got, considering the cost of the product and the flaws that come with it. These users either already sent back (for refund) their rat, or would like to have their money back.

C.M. Change of Mind. These users expressed interest in the mouse, but then missed to open their wallets, based on negative reviews/impressions.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AisL8WbkcvU3dDBMM0NOZkIxWEI0UXFyU25TV2NneFE&hl=en&output=html

Oh, and of course, owners that just sticked their nose in with posts like "Just got mine today, will post impressions later" and "I have this problem with my Rat 7..." and never actually expressed their personal positive or negative review on the mouse, we're not considered in the equation. These users are:

nsx241
jarmal
rawdod
Ricey

PLEASE NOTE: these numbers are not 100% accurate. The users that intend clarifing their position (improving this way results accuracy), can quote this post or contact me in pm.

As a final thought, I definely would tag the R.A.T 7 mouse as a FAIL...not and EPIC FAIL, since the product actually convinced some users; it's concept was quite brilliant and it's presence could have actually mark an important position on the gaming peripherals market.

On the other hand the EPIC FAIL AWARD would go the companies/groups that made the R.A.T 7 (but I suppose the whole R.A.T series as of today could be involved, don't know if the 9 will make things better) possible:

MadCatz
CyborgGaming
Saitek

It is not clear to me how much each contributed to the project, but I think it is quite rare to witness products that are backed up by at least 2 or 3 groups of people...
...and in the end still manage to just not get it right. Bravo indeed
7aplaudir.gif

Last edited:
i am part of the O.D. group, I swear i tried to follow the instructions on the bottle! 2 pills every 6 hours means i take 12 pills right?

lol...can you visualise the graph I made? I can't understand if I posted in the right form...

edit: oh ok...for a second I tought I've posted it in some kind of restricted access form...

Last edited:
Judging by the pie chart, its very even as to who thinks its good and who thinks its bad...

Hi guys, you will be interested in reading this! Support email from madcatz.

Dear Sim,

Thank you for your request.

Such an issue hasn't been reported directly to us and it surely isn't an issue with all RAT7 mice. If it does happen with some mice, it would be coming from the laser within the mouse and it would be definetly covered by the warranty service (first from the retailer and if there are any difficulties with the retailer warranty, you can get back to us anytime).

Also, we are going to be adding a foot to the pinky rest as a rolling change. Soon the RAT 7 mice on store shelves will have this feature. For now, they do not have the foot on the pinky rest unfortunately.

Sincerely,

Tech Support Team

Mad Catz Europe Ltd
http://www.saitek.com
http://www.madcatz.com
http://www.eclipsetouch.com
http://www.cyborggaming.com
http://www.trittonusa.com

11/18/2010 03:45 - Sim . wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to buy a RAT 7, but I am currently in two minds about doing so. I am under the impression that in several cases, the mouse has had tracking issues and sync issues on various black surfaces. Unfortunatly for me, it has been reported by various reviewers that the mouse does not work properly on the Razor Exactmat, and other such black surfaces. I do not wish to change my exactmat for another surface, and therefore will not buy this mouse unless you can provide information on this issue, if it has already been fixed, or if the problem will always remain. The problem in detail, as I'm sure you already know, is that the mouse will not respond to movement for up to a second after being raised from the mat's surface and placed back down. There also appears to be tracking issues such as this one as demonstrated in this video.

Please can you provide as much information as possable so I know whether I should buy this or not. Also, are there any plans to add a teflon foot to the 'Pinkie holder' romoveable part so it doesn't scrape the mat due to being right heavy?

Regards,

Ryan

Has there ever been an 'official' poll done about the lifting issue? Does that affect everyone?

I just can't see buying a 'gaming' mouse if the cursor shifts every time you lift the mouse.

Has there ever been an 'official' poll done about the lifting issue? Does that affect everyone?

I just can't see buying a 'gaming' mouse if the cursor shifts every time you lift the mouse.
It's a known issue with the sensor. It doesn't affect everyone, but it is quite common and well-documented around the internet. I own a different mouse using the same sensor and the problem occurs with that one as well.

Again, I stress the fact that this is still a mouse that is in BETA. All madcatz had to do was find reviewers who would actually review the mouse, put it through it's test and take the feedback, not give it out to probably the worst pro gamers around if they thought this mouse passed the test, who are these pro gamers that said this mouse was awesome? they must be noobers.

great....i bought a R.A.T. 5 and the cursor "bounces" as i click/ d/click or even type...after reading the post from sim i removed my razer mouse pad and yup problem solved.

I did some messing around with mine and I think I've figured out the axis sticking issue. It seems to be caused by the adhesive around the center teflon pad (the one around the sensor) picking up dust and interfering with the sensor. Cleaning it off fixes it when it happens. After cleaning it off a few times it seems to have lost its stickyness and it's no longer a problem.

I was thinking about buying a R.A.T 5 for a to myself Christmas present, do the 5's also have issues with black mousepads ?

If I read the reviews correctly. Both the R.A.T. 9 and R.A.T. 7 are the only two with the twin eye sensor.

I had a chance to see a few of these retail. Never any out of the box but from what I can tell, they feel OK. I'm just worried too much about the sensor they use to actually spend the cash on one of these things.

Actually the rat 3 uses a different sensor
Yes, you're right. I just looked it up. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a Twin-eye.
If I read the reviews correctly. Both the R.A.T. 9 and R.A.T. 7 are the only two with the twin eye sensor.
The RAT 5 also uses a Twin-eye sensor, except it's the lower-resolution 4000DPI version.

Mad Catz Rich, it would be really helpful if you could convince the driver guys to actually include the driver version in the filename, or at least get the web guys to add a blurb about the current version on the page.

As it stands you have to periodically download the 9.74 MB file and manually check the Details tab in the file Properties to get the file version value. Lame.

Mad Catz Rich, it would be really helpful if you could convince the driver guys to actually include the driver version in the filename, or at least get the web guys to add a blurb about the current version on the page.

As it stands you have to periodically download the 9.74 MB file and manually check the Details tab in the file Properties to get the file version value. Lame.

From almost 2 months ago, Madcatz Rich said: "Yes, we're looking at adding version numbers to the downloads page"

I can only assume that they are still "looking". I guess they must be finding it very challenging to put some text and a few numbers on their website. Technology really can be a hard nut to crack :D

Just got the RAT9 very happy with the way I can set it up for my hand ... cept I have an issue with the pointer on screen!

I can leave to RAT9 stationary and the cursor on screen will still move as if its tracking something!

I have tested this on both the desktop and the lappy ... both have the same issue?

Items near my computer:

Wireless Modem Router: Not effecting it I have turned this off and still get the problems.

Uniden Phone: Have also turned this off and still getting movement.

The really weird thing is that when I turn my desktop off and have the RAT9 plugged into the lappy there is no cursor movement when not being moved by me !?!?!?

What the hell could be interfering with the wireless mouse when the desktop is turned on?

The desktop is Ethernet no wireless does not run bluetooth what the hell?

Anyone have any ideas? Sucks cause I like this mouse and before this I did try a Mamba that had the same problem so I returned it thinking it was the mouse but now I am thinking it wasn't. Prior to both the mamba and this RAT9 I did have a Sidewinder X8 which worked wireless with no dramas at all.

Any help is really appreciated as basically have the weekend to trouble shoot and if no luck hopefully will get a chance to change it for the 7 as wired mice dont have this issue.

Sys:

i7 920
UD5
Noctua Push Pull
480 sli
Hyper X 6g
Revolution 1250W
Raptor 600 / Caviar 1T
Haf932
Win7 Home 64

Lappy:
G73JW
Win7 Pro 64

I was thinking at first some kind of software conflict but how would that effect a mouse that isnt plugged into the main rig instead in the lappy? Could it be my PSU sending some kind of surge out or something?

Last edited:
From almost 2 months ago, Madcatz Rich said: "Yes, we're looking at adding version numbers to the downloads page"

I can only assume that they are still "looking". I guess they must be finding it very challenging to put some text and a few numbers on their website. Technology really can be a hard nut to crack :D

:) What I also said to various people who've asked is that when we release the next driver/software update, then we'll add version info to the page. So if you're not seeing any version info on the page then we haven't updated it.

@delushin - blow into the sensor to make sure there is nothing in there causing interference. Even the smallest speck of dust can cause issues.

I also just got in my Rat 9....after having it on pre-order forever.

I received it at my work so I plugged it into my work box (it will be my new home gaming mouse) and windows recognized it as a mouse...huh...who knew? I didn't bother to install the software as it is going home to stay at the end of the day.

First impression...it is a little flatter than I thought, and smaller actually....it is actually kind of tiny in the factory setup. I moved out the palm rest, adjusted the thumb rest and installed the pinkie "shelf", oh and put on all the weight. Fully expanded it fits my hand nicely, there is a total lack of "arc" found in all of my logitech mice but, I don't think this deters from the ergonomics. The movement is very smooth, no stutter or cursor jump or lift issues. Again I didn't install the software/drivers yet. build quality is VERY nice. Everything seems very solid and ruggedly built and it looks really cool. The charger/receiver has a very nice braided usb cable and matte black finish. I am pretty darn happy, and think it was worth the wait, have to see how it does in games to decide if it was worth the $$$.

@delushin - blow into the sensor to make sure there is nothing in there causing interference. Even the smallest speck of dust can cause issues.

Thanks mate ... there is no dust or anything and whats even more weird is that when I plug into the laptop with the desktop off there is no problems, but when the desktop is on even still plugged into the laptop there is problems ... something in the desktops hardware is interfering with the mouse X_X

Okay, so is this all on the same desk? I'm wondering if your desktop if creating a vibration effect (you have got a lot of powerful kit in there) that is being picked up by the mouse? Where is your desktop case situated? On the desk or under it? Does moving the case so it's not in contact with the desk make any difference?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Back