CyanogenMod's future...most impressive

Such awesome news! I have been following CM pretty much since it's inception in '09. So glad to see they are taking it (and able to take it) to the next level. :cool:

All my phones have run a CM ROM. Right now my Nexus 4 is on CM10.2, and my Wife's HTC One X is running CM10.1. And my phones before that had a CM ROM on them, going back to CM7.

Great thing about CM is running it on older phones like my Wife's One X, it makes that phone very fresh, and feels up to date, and not outdated.

I wonder how they are making money...guy said he quit his day job and formed CM into a company

Wonder how this will go down in the future ? Will Google be cool with Cyanogen using the Android OS and sort of competing against them, and their Nexus line mainly ? Or will Cyanogen get in bed with a manufacturer like Sony or someone small and have that company make the hardware device, and CM team handle the OS ? '

A Cyanogen phone I would assume be like a Nexus, just a little different ? Bring it on :cool:

Cyanogen goes commercial: $7 million raised, partnership with hardware maker to be announced soon
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogenmod-commercial-270762/

According to Kondik and Cyanogen CEO Kirt McMaster cited by The Verge, the first goal of the company is to simplify as much as possible the process of installing CyanogenMod, which, in its current form is “pretty brutal”. The first result of this effort will be a CyanogenMod installer app that will become available in the Play Store “in the next few weeks”.

The other big development is a partnership with a manufacturer maker, that Cyanogen will announce “in a week or so”. The team also thinks about rebranding next year.

Last edited:
^ I missed the part about the hardware deal.

CM will go one of two ways:
1. They will market their hardware and CM OS successfully and become a very significant market player.
2. They will sell out to a major phone manuf just prior to a final h/w release for a healthy sum and take the money and run.

So next year will the Cyanogen phone be a direct competitor to the Asus Nexus 6 phone in 2014 ?

I wonder how far out their first phone release is ?

So how long before CM goes to hell like NewEgg and all the other great places that went corporate?

^ I missed the part about the hardware deal.

CM will go one of two ways:
1. They will market their hardware and CM OS successfully and become a very significant market player.
2. They will sell out to a major phone manuf just prior to a final h/w release for a healthy sum and take the money and run.
I think Google will throw $50M at them and just buy the company out before it gets to the point where they are a major player causing "havoc" for the OEM's and carriers by reflashing SW.

So next year will the Cyanogen phone be a direct competitor to the Asus Nexus 6 phone in 2014 ?

I wonder how far out their first phone release is ?

My best guess is Samsung, as they have had direct interest with the company prior. I think Samsung will try to diversify from the stygma of android and preech their product differently much like amazon does with the kindle.

I dont like this direction, but a mod installer (instalation for dummies!) is a really good thing, after that i dont really see CM team lasting much longer without a big makeover.

Really happy for CM. IMO Google should pay them a huge chunk of revenue for all the goodwill CM generates. The Android dev community wouldn't exist without CM.

Interesting. It is going to be nice to see how things will evolve.

MKBHD just did a nice explanation of it.

Seems pretty awesome so far! I just wonder how that installer is going to work..? Is it supposed to work on existing phones? If so, I don't see how a single app is going to root your phone, unlock your bootloader, wipe/install the OS and restore your data. The user would still have to somehow manually wipe and install the ROM themselves through the recovery software at least. Unless I'm missing something here..?

Based on the AMA it seems like the CM parts will be closed-source and locked-down. Pretty ironic.

MKBHD just did a nice explanation of it.

Seems pretty awesome so far! I just wonder how that installer is going to work..? Is it supposed to work on existing phones? If so, I don't see how a single app is going to root your phone, unlock your bootloader, wipe/install the OS and restore your data. The user would still have to somehow manually wipe and install the ROM themselves through the recovery software at least. Unless I'm missing something here..?

That dude is the best reviewer around :cool:

I am just blown away about this upcoming CM installer through the Play Store :eek: Just shocking they found a way to be able to install ROM, without rooting, or unlocked bootloader and no flashing in recovery ? HOLY SHIT THAT"S CRAZY. Just install this on a brand new phone out of the box, and that's it ? How the F they figure that out ? :eek: Never heard of such an amazing feat before, will be the biggest thing in Android ROM'ing ever in history. Installing a ROM without flashing it ? WTF

Without root/unlock you can't really replace parts of android system. So either this will be a shell that just runs other versions of those apps, or they need to find a way to root at runtime on each boot. They still haven't shown proof of concept right?

In the AMA they mention clearly that it will only work with devices that are unlockable and don't need exploits, which excludes 90% of all phones sold in the US.

Why do I have the feeling Oppo or Xiaomi will be backing them on the hardware side? Just a hunch here.

Hmmm... Newkia? Dear lord, what a combo...

You know what would be crazy, but highly doubtful, would be Cyanogen installer working on the iPhone 5. LOL :) Imagine you being able to install the CM ROM on an iPhone :D

Do they mean even popular phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 on ATT + Verizon, that are locked ?

Currently the installer supports unlockable devices and devices that come unlocked out of the box (ie, most Samsungs via Download Mode).
We're still deciding how to handle locked devices. There's legislation (DMCA clause) in the US that allows the user to bypass copy protection to essentially root their phone. We could do it, it's not hard, but we have to make sure that this won't get us into any hot water later.

The first release of the installer won't support devices that require exploits. The long-term goal is to open up OEMs to the possibility of supporting us officially- there's zero technical reason for these measures and the best way to fix it is to not buy these devices and speak your mind.

In other words, doesn't sound like they will be supporting locked devices originally.

That being said, this is [H], where most of us root and unlock our phones anyways, so doesn't really matter to most of us.

Why do I have the feeling Oppo or Xiaomi will be backing them on the hardware side? Just a hunch here.

Oppo is the rumored partnered based on how open Oppo devices are and how often Oppo has sent the CM team free hardware.

One-Click CyanogenMod Installer Coming Soon [Updated]

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ows-first-mac-after-linux-if-there-is-demand/

I think the only major obstical are phones in the U.S that come locked down. Do they mean even popular phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 on ATT + Verizon, that are locked ? Which U.S. carrier sells brand new phones not locked down, only T-Mobile ?

Unlocked devices would most likely be Nexus devices and anything not on AT&T/Verzion and anything not Motorola.

Oppo is the rumored partnered based on how open Oppo devices are and how often Oppo has sent the CM team free hardware.

Unlocked devices would most likely be Nexus devices and anything not on AT&T/Verzion and anything not Motorola.
Since Google took over, Motorola has been putting an effort towards having as many new devices unlockable as possible. As it stands now, pretty much every variant of the Moto X is unlockable except the Verizon and ATT versions (as you said). However, there are Dev editions that are not subsidized sold for each carrier.

Since Google took over, Motorola has been putting an effort towards having as many new devices unlockable as possible. As it stands now, pretty much every variant of the Moto X is unlockable except the Verizon and ATT versions (as you said). However, there are Dev editions that are not subsidized sold for each carrier.

True. The X would be the one Motorola device supported although there is no CM variant for the Moto X yet.

Oh PLEASE let this be true. Imagine a Xiaomi MI3 + CM straight from the factory sold in the US? I'd buy that in a second.

Oh PLEASE let this be true. Imagine a Xiaomi MI3 + CM straight from the factory sold in the US? I'd buy that in a second.

Will a Xiaomi phone work on US carriers? I'd love that too since their phones are much more reasonably priced.

You know what would be crazy, but highly doubtful, would be Cyanogen installer working on the iPhone 5. LOL :) Imagine you being able to install the CM ROM on an iPhone :D
I most certainly CAN imagine installing CM on my iPhone!!! Best of Apple and Android together. What's not to love?

Never gonna happen, though.

Sad Panda :(

If google was smart they would hire these guys so the android base would be better. As much as I like android it has a long way to go still

If google was smart they would hire these guys so the android base would be better. As much as I like android it has a long way to go still

Long way to go? I'll agree that it can definitely use some improvement in some areas (UI performance optimizations, power efficiency, etc.), I definitely wouldn't say it has a "long way to go." For my preferences, it's considerably more functional than iOS or WP.

Long way to go? Every mobile OS out right now has areas for improvement, Android is just fine.

Remember, CM didn't invent a wheel or reinvent a wheel here, they took the wheel and tweaked it, improving upon certain aspects of the OS.

It’s official: the Oppo N1 will be the first Cyanogen, Inc. device
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogen-oppo-n1-271502/

Does this mean the Oppo N1 will be the Cyanogen phone, basically a full stable build of CM10.2 running off stock vanilla Android. Or is the N1 running an Oppo UI skin, and with just some sprinkling of a little bit of Cyanogen in it ?

Will this be hitting the U.S. market at the same time, for release soon ?

Last edited:
Let's see how well the camera would be... nvm... just get a Sony DX10...

It’s official: the Oppo N1 will be the first Cyanogen, Inc. device
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogen-oppo-n1-271502/

Annnnd I found my new phone. Oddly enough, I haven't even used CM in a year or two. I had installed AOKP on my GNex, then moved to PACman for the Nexus 4. Paranoid Android's tablet mode did wonders with GMail...

Oddly enough, as much as I've been a fan of AOSP based ROMs since the Sprint Hero (Yep), The HTC One is the first one I'e kept sense. Changed out the launcher, of course, but the Sense camera/dialer are awesome.

I'm sure these are great phones but I don't know if i can bring myself to buy anything without LTE from now on.

I'm sure these are great phones but I don't know if i can bring myself to buy anything without LTE from now on.

I'm not 100% sold on LTE, but I don't see this partnering taking off. CM is a very non-well known third party OS team and Oppo is a very obscure brand as well.

I wonder what they hope to accomplish with this venture.

I wouldn't buy LTE less phone either. It works incredibly well where I live. It has replaced our adsl connection. Always gives 50 Mbps down, would give more easily but we pay for 50/50 connection.

Oppo needs to start selling their stuff properly out of China or people will not buy their stuff.

Long way to go? I'll agree that it can definitely use some improvement in some areas (UI performance optimizations, power efficiency, etc.), I definitely wouldn't say it has a "long way to go." For my preferences, it's considerably more functional than iOS or WP.

I second that. Definitely my preference as well

Back