CyanogenMod's future...most impressive

This is an interesting development. I put CM on my S2 but had problem with battery and camera, went back to stock and missed some of the CM features. Now I'm on Omega and I'm pretty happy with it. I foresee CM becoming vastly less "cool" when it is so easy any kid can haz it.

I'm not 100% sold on LTE, but I don't see this partnering taking off. CM is a very non-well known third party OS team and Oppo is a very obscure brand as well.

I wonder what they hope to accomplish with this venture.

"very non-well known"? What? They are probably the most known 3rd party team on the planet. Nearly 8 million unique installs at this point. Hell without CM all the other ROM's wouldn't exist. Xaiomi took CM and created MIUI out of it all while make millions, if not billions, off of it.

It's very simple to see what CM and Oppo hope to do with the N1. I'm willing to bet you see two versions.

1. Oppo controlled
2. CM version

What they both hope to do in this case is sell a few million of these devices to people like us who want something that's open and that we can tinker with. The bonus though is it comes with CM which will have direct vendor support for things like camera functionality so no more dirty hacks. So sure parts of the Oppo N1 CM code will be closed due to proprietary Oppo stuff but it'll be a device that's highly customized and will get new builds at a much faster rate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they even had nightly builds for the official CM Oppo N1 for those of us who always want to be on the cutting edge.

And welcome to 3 days ago and welcome to one side of the story.

Do I think he got a little bit screwed when it came to Focal yes probably. However, people are missing part of what's going on here.

CM as we know it now is not stopping. Builds for current devices will continue.

CM, Inc. will have to close source some of CM when it comes to builds for the N1 due to licensing and proprietary stuff. In the end that's why they asked for the re-licensing so that they could use Focal in the N1. In my opinion big deal.

If anybody feels slighted by the CM team because they contributed code and some of that code may be used in a way they don't like well they need to get out of the open source world.

Wow... Kondik is a douche ("grabs popcorn" comment)...

I think the issue is how the contributors are going to get paid working on the open project, while Kondik and Koush rips millions on the closed one. And from the Focal post, the answer is maybe if Kondik believes they should be paid. But for now, your labor is free, thanks, and everything you do is ours.

Wow... Kondik is a douche ("grabs popcorn" comment)...

I think the issue is how the contributors are going to get paid working on the open project, while Kondik and Koush rips millions on the closed one. And from the Focal post, the answer is maybe if Kondik believes they should be paid. But for now, your labor is free, thanks, and everything you do is ours.

You do realize that the "grabs popcorn" comment is simply about somebody wanting to tell the "story" about what went down surrounding Focal. It had nothing to do with the OP. Somebody else brought up the "story" which is why Kondik said what he said.

I'm not trying to choose sides here. It's just that there's a lot of disinformation floating around especially since we only have half the story and no written proof about the allegations being made.

And why does a contributor need to be paid when they submit code to the CM code base when it's open source? Again CM isn't stopping development of CM10.2 and future CM versions for current phones or future phones. I think this is more people being butthurt over nothing or feeling "betrayed" because Kondik wants to monetize the behemoth he created. I don't see anybody bitching that they don't get paid for submitting code back to AOSP itself. What's the difference?

Anybody who says they wouldn't do the same damn thing if they were in Kondik's shoes is a liar.

If the CM Inc team creates proprietary functionality for certain phones like Oppo N1 to monetize those devices why is that bad? They aren't monetizing everything. The core is still open source. The core will still exist and be worked on for current phones. Oh boo hoo you don't get function x, y, z unless you have an N1 but you get functions A through W by simply downloading the latest CM build for your phone.

What am I missing here that makes this such a bad thing?

The potential problem is that the community contributors detach from CM and go work on something else. And then that leaves CM to be nothing more than a creation of CM, Inc. So the question is whether the product will suffer if most of its contributors walk away.

And by his own admission, it seems that Kondik himself couldn't code his way out of a paper bag. So I guess there should be some deference to the people who made CM what it is. We'll see what happens. But we're already talking about closed source, proprietary code, locked down stuff, CLAs... all the sorts of things in the Android world that CM was kinda being used to circumvent. This kind of stuff can breed acrimony and once you get that level of bitterness -- you call it "butthurt" -- in what is essentially a community-driven project, it can be hard to turn things around.

It's like this. When it's an open-source project and no one is making money directly off if it, no one has a problem. When you suddenly move into a closed model and you took others' free work, claiming it as your own, and make money out of that, the people whose work you took will have issues about not getting their share. Money = root of all evil

And then there goes Kondik complaining about "drama" as if those people have no right to complain or something.

It's like this. When it's an open-source project and no one is making money directly off if it, no one has a problem. When you suddenly move into a closed model and you took others' free work, claiming it as your own, and make money out of that, the people whose work you took will have issues about not getting their share. Money = root of all evil

And then there goes Kondik complaining about "drama" as if those people have no right to complain or something.

But it isn't a closed model...

There may be pieces of NEW functionality that will be closed in the future to monetize but overall CM itself will remain free and will remain the way things are. That new functionality is what will be monetized. Not CM as we know it.

Yes but the stuff they are closing.. who worked hard to create that and are they getting anything from this, financially, as CM is...

Yes but the stuff they are closing.. who worked hard to create that and are they getting anything from this, financially, as CM is...

We don't even know what they're closing yet but we do know that it will most likely be a separate branch off the main base. Not to mention everything that will potentially be closed is rumored to be completely NEW functionality written by the CM, Inc employees meaning all those people bitching right now can't really bitch about anything.

Also rumor is there's no money trading hands in the Oppo - CM inc deal. It's just a deal that benefits them both and sees if the market is ready for something like that. It's an experiment.

They weren't closing Focal. They were just making it so that they could potentially close parts of it to protect proprietary stuff for phones like the N1, but in regular builds like we see today Focal would have remained the same.

I really think people need to calm the hell down and wait and see what happens.

They weren't closing Focal. They were just making it so that they could potentially close parts of it to protect proprietary stuff for phones like the N1, but in regular builds like we see today Focal would have remained the same.

I think that's a legitimate gripe from the Focal developer though, because it would require a contributor license agreement, which would mean that CM, Inc. would be free to do whatever they wanted with the guy's contributions. But the guy wrote the thing with the intention of it being under a GPL license (for a reason), so I don't think it's particularly odd that he balked at the request.

The Focal developer has a very legitimate complaint. And CM has been a huge force, but lets not forget that in the end its just a bunch of devs working on a common source base branched off AOSP. The open nature and collaboration is what made CM strong. If the new company doesn't foster the same regard in devs, then they have no reason to work on it, and much like many other OSS projects, it will die, or more likely migrate to other AOSP based projects.

CM is a huge brand worth $$, whether they stay true to their ideals and the spirit of open source is another thing entirely.

I think that's a legitimate gripe from the Focal developer though, because it would require a contributor license agreement, which would mean that CM, Inc. would be free to do whatever they wanted with the guy's contributions. But the guy wrote the thing with the intention of it being under a GPL license (for a reason), so I don't think it's particularly odd that he balked at the request.

Yes, the dev didn't like the idea of re-licensing and that is his right and like you I don't blame him. However, they were NOT asking him to close the source as so many think they did. That's where I think a lot of the butthurt is coming from.

Right now, CM has pretty much lost Team Hacksung - the contributors/devs responsible for most/all the Exynos line devices.
That includes:
SGS2
SGS3
SGS4
Note 1
Note 2
(Note 3)
Practically everything with an Exynos SoC. Kondik basically gave those guys the cold shoulder partially due to the Focal issue. Team Hacksung had been getting crap treatment from the CM brass for months, it's only now they have been more vocal about their experiences.

So, if you like/liked CM and you use something that was developed from the Exynos team / Team Hacksung (Entropy512, codeworkx, xplodwild, several others) they have basically dropped out of the CM team because of dissatisfaction. It's up to you to decide if you are going to support them or the CM team.

So, if you like/liked CM and you use something that was developed from the Exynos team / Team Hacksung (Entropy512, codeworkx, xplodwild, several others) they have basically dropped out of the CM team because of dissatisfaction. It's up to you to decide if you are going to support them or the CM team.

Will they be moving on to a different Android project or are they just disbanding and going to do other things?

Will they be moving on to a different Android project or are they just disbanding and going to do other things?

Entropy is messing around with Oppo handsets and other MTK SoC's
codeworkx is taking a break from developing
Xplodwild is focusing his time on Focal which is on the store
atinm, espenfjo and others have gone MIA from the dev world long before this. Probably samsung's closed source iron fist did them in before CM did.

AFAIK, entropy did consider that he/they may work with a competitor fork in the future - eg. PA or AOKP being two of the larger ones - but he is just speaking for himself. I doubt any of them intend to return to contribute to CM after their hiatus. In the meantime, I'm sure CM will try to fill their positions with newcomers.

That dude is the best reviewer around :cool:

I am just blown away about this upcoming CM installer through the Play Store :eek: Just shocking they found a way to be able to install ROM, without rooting, or unlocked bootloader and no flashing in recovery ? HOLY SHIT THAT"S CRAZY. Just install this on a brand new phone out of the box, and that's it ? How the F they figure that out ? :eek: Never heard of such an amazing feat before, will be the biggest thing in Android ROM'ing ever in history. Installing a ROM without flashing it ? WTF

What if they partition out some of the memory for the installer that gets loaded instead of the recovery, handles all its business and returns you to a fully functioning OS?

Did I miss the MAJOR news event ? :confused:

They said this week would be the announcement of the Cyanogen Mod app installer on the Play Store. What happened ?

Back