Customer Service Nightmare Letter of the Day

I was on the geeksquad. I did not believe in charging for restore discs, so I would actually walk a person through the process on our demo machines up until the point where you actually burn the discs.

Believe it or not, there were many people who said they would rather just pay to have it done and not worry about it. ITS LIKE THREE BUTTON CLICKS !

Whatever though, it helps the stores profit margin and at that point my guilt is dropped.

At our store if a customer like this had an issue you can guarantee we would be bending over backwards to help them. Buying services/service plans = better customer service.

You can argue all you want, but stores are going to generally work harder if a customer makes them lots of money, than the customer that buys the $400 loss leader laptop.

On a side note, I can totally see the geeks screwing it up and not being able to burn the dvd (since they accidentally put in the wrong disc before ). I lost my wife's restore discs and it only took a few mintues online to find out the registry entry to change to allow her system to burn another set.

It's unfortunate that most best buys not residing in a college town have horribly geeksquads. (We were staffed with 100% computer science majors, everyone in our dept was amazing)

"...leave computer overnight with the Geek Squad to have recovery disks made"

Palm is approaching face. Why do people pay for that? The wizard is made so that even a drunk monkey can do it. Click, insert disc, (wait a long time), insert 2nd disc, etc.

Many people are just too lazy to learn something no matter how simple it is. I'm sure one can easily find step by step guides online (with screen shot, if they lack any confidence of doing something new to them on a computer :D )

I can tell you for a fact that HP laptops are terrible. Amost 1/3 of them that Are new that I see at my store are Deffictive. Due to the touchpad or the dvd burner.

Well, I've serviced my fair share of defective HP laptops (some truly weird stuff too, dead USB ports, a WiFi adapter that would intermittently disappear from Device Manager, etc)... Most were AMD based though, just sayin'. A lot of them developed those quirks just a few months after being purchased too, I'm about to help a friend bake one to see if we can bring it back to life as one day it suddenly garbled everything on screen then died, I'm guessing solder points related to the GPU failed.

"...leave computer overnight with the Geek Squad to have recovery disks made"

Palm is approaching face. Why do people pay for that? The wizard is made so that even a drunk monkey can do it. Click, insert disc, (wait a long time), insert 2nd disc, etc.

Most people don't know and don't care how to do many simple things on the PC.

Back