Custom mounting SSD in 800D

computermod14

Limp Gawd
So I found out first hand experience that the standard 3.5 bracket included with the OCZ Vertex 3 does not line up correctly with the hot swap bays. I later remembered that even if it did fit the board Corsair used would limit my 6Gb/s drive. Since then I've been trying to figure out a good spot to mount the drive. Do any of you 800D owners have an SSD mounted elsewhere in the case? Tips please!

Last edited:
I just put it laying in the bottom where the non hot swappable hdd bays are. I have drive caddy's, but didn't see the point.

How old is your 800D? If the hot swap backplane is one solid piece, it's SATA 6Gbps. If it's 4 separate pieces, it's SATA 3Gbps.

The case was ordered sometime mid April of this year. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it is a solid peice...I'll need to double check once I get home. At the same time I've already ordered one which I'll end up cancelling if it turns out to be a single peice.

Last edited:
Don't put your SSD into an adapter. Mount it right in the drive tray that goes in the hot swap bay. My Intel X25M G2 mounts in there perfectly and lines up with the power and data connections just fine.

All the vertex drives ive seen have had weird hole alignments... It wouldn't fit in a lian li case either, or other brands...when I fitted one I just used an akasa 2.5" mount thing I had spare, though I could have just duct taped it to anything. They dont make cases...so I have no idea what they actually fit? :confused:

I am not using an adapter but rather the mounting bracket. Unfortunately mine does not line up perfectly, I need to drill my own holes in the bottom of the bracket it came with to place it a bit more to the right (facing front of PC). I'll post a pic later on showing the dilema...but it seems that DeathPrincess got the idea.

How old is your 800D? If the hot swap backplane is one solid piece, it's SATA 6Gbps. If it's 4 separate pieces, it's SATA 3Gbps.

Mine is the type with four separate pieces. Two of which no longer work for some reason. They actually fried one SSD and one HDD, and the other only works half the time.

Mine is the type with four separate pieces. Two of which no longer work for some reason. They actually fried one SSD and one HDD, and the other only works half the time.

If mine ends up being one solid peice already I would be happy to send you the one they are sending to me...just PM me your address.

Actually, Dan, if they aren't working we'll send you the new piece as a replacement anyway through RMA.

Just go on our website and request it through the TSX process - should be painless and problem free. We don't even make the SATA 2 ones anymore.

Actually, Dan, if they aren't working we'll send you the new piece as a replacement anyway through RMA.

Just go on our website and request it through the TSX process - should be painless and problem free. We don't even make the SATA 2 ones anymore.

Cool. I'll give that a shot.

This a great thread, I am up grading my water cooled rig and I just ordered the 6gb SATA connection from Corsair. Quick, painless and reasonably priced. I have 2 120 SSD that are going in it so it was good to know Corsair supported that.

These work in the 800D hot swap bays caddy's. I could not get my OCZ SSD's in the bottom section where two go, but they worked great on the hot swap bay caddy's as shown here:

frankgarage005.jpg

And yes, I also installed the SATA III 6GB backplane as well though I had to take it out for my current build, it does a great job. Also Corsair sells the USB 3.0 Upgrade kit for the 800D if needed.

Back