current matx cases for 5870?

strikeout

[H]ard|Gawd
What are the current cases that will fit a 5870 without serious modifications to the case? Will it fit in a TJ08?

The SG01-F will work, Qmicra 2, SG03 and SG04 will NOT work since the card is 11.1". Might if you take out that 120mm fan??? I can't remember.

Umm, The "Da Box" by LanGear works as well. I don't think the TJ08 will fit it. It is an old case.

The SG03 and SG04 will take it if you remove the fan from the front grill. You can either leave it as a space, or I believe it's possible to get a thin 120mm fan in there with the HD5870.

The SG03 and SG04 will take it if you remove the fan from the front grill. You can either leave it as a space, or I believe it's possible to get a thin 120mm fan in there with the HD5870.

Slim 120mm bottom fan in the SG03 with the 5870.

Cooling is the biggest problem with the SG03 though. There is simply no way to cool it properly, if you intend to run a high end rig with a 5870.

I would have thought the 5870 itself would be fine, the question mark would be over the CPU cooling.

Would an H5O fit over the upper 120mm fan?

I would have thought the 5870 itself would be fine, the question mark would be over the CPU cooling.

Would an H5O fit over the upper 120mm fan?

If you're talking about the SG03, I wouldn't try it. CPU cooling is not the problem with an H50. It's your Northbridge, VREG, and Power Supply that will suffocate. You could try to heavily modify an SG03 with a side panel fan and a top fan that may help.

Akromatic has a worklog of his SG03 with dual 5870 set up. Might want to look at his thread and see what exactly he did.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1479300

I had an almost identical setup. Except even with a fan blowing on my Northbridge, it would stay around 80C. The VREG was 70C+. CPU on stock settings with the H50 was around 50C. Power supply, whichever way it was mounted in the case, has scalding hot to the touch.

It's an awesome concept, but executing it would surely reduce the lifespan of your components.

Silverstone could easily remedy this issue by making the case taller to accompany the power supply on either the top or the bottom of the case. Along with a fan hole on the side window and top and bottom would completely alleviate heat issues. But Silverstone didn't design the SG03 to a high end i7/Crossfire or SLI setup. Their recommended HSF is a fanless passive Nitrogen NT cooler!

I agree the SG03 really could use a rear exhaust fan. I went with a H50 on my i5 750 to help keep heat down. After I slide a 10.5 inch GPU in Its probably the last major upgrade I'll do with my SG03. Video cards are getting too long again.

I agree the SG03 really could use a rear exhaust fan.

yep, which is why the need of a blow hole or a slot fan on the top PCI slot(silverstone knows this hence the top PCI slot)

the NT06 is really made for the older low powered CPU and not the current i7s

as for GFX silvertone has designed with quad fire/sli in mind and my graphics ares are adaquetly cooled

though i agree cooling NB is an issue hence the fan, i've seen H50 mods at another forum about them changing the tubes and using a larger rad, it could be possible to use a NB block with the H50

since my post i've further improved cabling by routing them around the board for better air flow

Back