Current IPS gaming champion?

yeah, full HD movies and also it is my main monitor so all browsing etc is done on it. higher resolution means more space as you know :)

also a bit worried that 27" might be a bit big on my small desk, I sit like only 60cm away from my 23" which is well... a little bit too close maybe?

anyway I'll stick around with this and see if I get used to it first, seems like the best choice for IPS.

Meh, no such thing as sitting too close to a monitor as long as the dot pitch is low. I normally game with my face about a foot away from my 30".

Meh, no such thing as sitting too close to a monitor as long as the dot pitch is low. I normally game with my face about a foot away from my 30".

But you have a 30" with a good dot pitch. Imagine sitting close to a 27" in 1080p... urgh.

hello there, I'm getting incredibly tired of my BenQ XL2410T cause of it's terrible colors and details in dark areas. super happy with it other than that, but yeah... 3D just makes my head hurt and I don't play as much FPS as I used to.

so, I'm now looking to buy an IPS monitor as a replacement. the only requirements I have is it to be at least 1920x1080, black bezel and connect via DVI or DisplayPort. a big plus is if it actually can run 75Hz in low resolutions, say 960x540 which is what I use for my FPS games.

so.. yeah.. is there any that can compete with my XL2410T in terms of input lag?
I currently have a dell U2311H as secondary monitor which is fast but not fast enough I believe.

Thanks!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I also have an XL2410T which I want to replace because I don't game all that much anymore and the backlight bleed and viewing angles are terrible when watching movies.

Right now I'm seriously considering the BenQ EW2430. Yes, it's a VA panel with a high response time, but the input lag should be low (if the EW2420 is any indication) and ghosting has never bothered me all that much. The price is good too, I'm hoping to sell my XL2410T for ~200€ and that's exactly the price of a new EW2430.

However, if you already feel the U2311H isn't fast enough, VA panels are out of the question I guess.

I'd get the ZR24w. About 10ms and about $350 and 16:10 19x12.

Course what you should really buy is a new AG CRT off ebay. LCD's suck.

hmm yeah the thing isn't IPS _for_ gaming. it's just that I want an IPS that works good with gaming, because I like how much better the viewing angles and details in dark areas are with IPS. also colors look a bit better.

a CRT would not even fit on my desk, it's out of the question sorry. also I can't get 120Hz in Windows 7 which my gaming PC has :(

what a confusion this has become for me, I think I'll just get my VP201b 4:3 from the grave (basement) and call it a day. sounds good to me

hmm yeah the thing isn't IPS _for_ gaming. it's just that I want an IPS that works good with gaming, because I like how much better the viewing angles and details in dark areas are with IPS. also colors look a bit better.

a CRT would not even fit on my desk, it's out of the question sorry. also I can't get 120Hz in Windows 7 which my gaming PC has :(

what a confusion this has become for me, I think I'll just get my VP201b 4:3 from the grave (basement) and call it a day. sounds good to me

Yeah, I suggest you to use what you have, until OLED monitors start becoming wide-spread (should take no more than 2 years now).
Then you'll enjoy perfection. :D

Yeah, I suggest you to use what you have, until OLED monitors start becoming wide-spread (should take no more than 2 years now).
Then you'll enjoy perfection. :D

2 years. LOL!

OLED TVs maybe widespread in about 5 years, and that is a big maybe because they have been saying that for about 5 years.

Monitors will take longer than TVs because monitor usage patterns are the most demanding and likely to cause burn in.

haha, 2-5 years... who knows if I even play computer games then. seems unlikely considering I'm entering university next spring. well I think my business here is done, thanks a lot for all the help

I wish SED wasn't all gone and forgotten, it seemd like a great replacement for CRT.

2 years. LOL!

OLED TVs maybe widespread in about 5 years, and that is a big maybe because they have been saying that for about 5 years.

Monitors will take longer than TVs because monitor usage patterns are the most demanding and likely to cause burn in.

oled-2015.gif

looks 2 years to me

http://www.oled-display.net/files/u3/oled-2015.gif

looks 2 years to me

LOL :D

I am sure Canon could have made a slide like that about SED...

Seriously you can't have been paying attention very long if you think you can trust industry "projections".

It will get here when it gets here, but it is years off, then more years off to actually be affordable.

I figure I will be buying an OLED TV in 2018 and and a monitor in 2020...

LOL :D

I am sure Canon could have made a slide like that about SED...

Seriously you can't have been paying attention very long if you think you can trust industry "projections".

It will get here when it gets here, but it is years off, then more years off to actually be affordable.

I figure I will be buying an OLED TV in 2018 and and a monitor in 2020...

Sony just introduced 25" and some smaller size OLED monitor for PC. I can imagine that graph being very true.

Sony just introduced 25" and some smaller size OLED monitor for PC. I can imagine that graph being very true.

You mean this series that I started a thread about here(someone else put in links to cheaper versions as well):
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1586235

Yes I know. But these are not Computer monitors. When they say monitor, they mean professional video broadcast monitor for TV production. Video is a lot easier to handle from a burn in perspective since it tends to average out.

Back in 2008 Sony was announcing that very similar monitors would be rolling out in FED format:
http://www.oled-display.info/sonys-field-emission-company-want-to-roll-out-60-inch-fed-tv
"The Sony company Field emission Technologies want to mass produce FED-TVs as soon as possible.
In an Interview with techradar a Sony spokesman says:

"We are aware that Field Emission Technologies is in negotiation with Pioneer regarding mass-production of field emission displays, however this does not have any implications for Sony's existing relationship with FET."

FET is aiming to produce 10,000 26-inch FED panels each year at the plant in Kagoshima. These will be for medical and broadcasting use first, but 60-inch consumer televisions may follow soon after
."

Both FED and SED were all the rage for a while making prediction and showing demos, then they gave up.

OLED is where everyone is placing future bets and I expect it to succeed eventually. But industry predictions are always extremely optimistic. You need to take them with a huge grain of salt.

I disagree completely that you can't sit too close to a monitor. Personally I don't want the periphery of the monitor that large... that is , a much larger portion of the monitor's extremes edge into your periphery so that you have to angle your eyes and in some cases your neck more degrees than "normal" to see the corners and edges of the monitor. Wrenching my gaze (especially to corners) at a giant monitor in front of my face in order to see text, file-menus, toolboxes etc in desktop apps, and HUDs and targets for gaming not for me. Higher pixel density is great (I have a very high pixel density), but the issue I have is about perspective.. size vs distance and angle of view.

In my opinion 23" to 27" is perfect at normal desk viewing distances. 30" to 32" would be my limit, but I'd have to move it back a bit further, which perspective wise could be the same as a smaller monitor closer (e.g. a 32" 1080p further away vs a 27" 1080p at a more common distance).

I love my 27" cinema display and I do game on it, but I may look at 27" 120hz TN's next year depending on pricing and reviews.. perhaps from BB so I can try one and return it if I don't like it.

Make sure you read up on ips screen tradeoffs if you are set on one. Those with scalers have much higher input lag. Some of those with scalers also have long delays in startup and resolution switching (to the point of missing your POST/boot info in some cases). Also, almost all of the current generation of large high rez ips screens have over-aggressive AG coatings. I'm not trying to bash anything, just hoping you read up so you can make an informed decision on your purchase.

I disagree completely that you can't sit too close to a monitor. Personally I don't want the periphery of the monitor that large... that is , a much larger portion of the monitor's extremes edge into your periphery so that you have to angle your eyes and in some cases your neck more degrees than "normal" to see the corners and edges of the monitor. Wrenching my gaze (especially to corners) at a giant monitor in front of my face in order to see text, file-menus, toolboxes etc in desktop apps, and HUDs and targets for gaming not for me. Higher pixel density is great (I have a very high pixel density), but the issue I have is about perspective.. size vs distance and angle of view.

In my opinion 23" to 27" is perfect at normal desk viewing distances. 30" to 32" would be my limit, but I'd have to move it back a bit further, which perspective wise could be the same as a smaller monitor closer (e.g. a 32" 1080p further away vs a 27" 1080p at a more common distance).

I love my 27" cinema display and I do game on it, but I may look at 27" 120hz TN's next year depending on pricing and reviews.. perhaps from BB so I can try one and return it if I don't like it.

Make sure you read up on ips screen tradeoffs if you are set on one. Those with scalers have much higher input lag. Some of those with scalers also have long delays in startup and resolution switching (to the point of missing your POST/boot info in some cases). Also, almost all of the current generation of large high rez ips screens have over-aggressive AG coatings. I'm not trying to bash anything, just hoping you read up so you can make an informed decision on your purchase.

IMHO the best equilibrium is a 56" 3840x2160. You can stay at about 1m, have it cover most of your FoV and be able to read perfectly because of the low PPI.
If only they were available cheaply... :(

56"? yikes. I think the distance I have between me and my U2311H is ideal for me at least. it's probably around 60 centimeters. for TVs I guess like 250cm for 42" works great for me, since that's what I have... could been a bit bigger but I want to be able to see everything on the screen rather than everything being big

edit: no it's def more than 60cm, closer to 70-80

Last edited:
comparing pixperan photos, i'm very surprised that Asus PA246 is as responsive as NEC 20WGX2, which is (or at least was for quite a time) a gaming monitor.

on the other hand, it has quite considerable blue tint on both sides. in fact, this was the very first thing i noticed after switching it on and displaying a white page in a browser. anyway, this might replace my old NEC once I've replaced this "tinting" piece. but i have yet to examine new HP LP2475W

Back