current best air coolers

Noctua is the best, all the others are a bunch of unnecessary revisions and bad fans.
Proof of that are the 10-year-old coolers that are as good as new or better.(Venomous X vs PA 120)

Noctua is the best, all the others are a bunch of unnecessary revisions and bad fans.
Proof of that are the 10-year-old coolers that are as good as new or better.(Venomous X vs PA 120)
in your opinion, not objectively.
your proof of them being best is two thermalrights? ok... (y)
now lets stop the arguing, as we get how you feel already. or like i said before, make your own frigging thread.

This post right here, after all of this back and forth.. just shows who you really are.

I bet the friends that you have in real life are just pretending.

I remember back in the days of s939 & C2Q (2008) that Noctua coolers weren't shit and Xigmatek and Thermalright was the HSF to have and Zalman if you were poor.

Now Zalman and Xigmatek are dead and Thermalright is still on top with Noctua nipping at it's heels.

I had a Xigmatek Dark Knight w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000's on my Q9550 @ 3833 and it was loud af and could be heard down the hallway in every room. That HSF was the shit but not as good as the Ultra 120 my cousin had with the stock fans on his Q9650.

Would I still use that Dark Knight (which I still have) on anything now days? Fuck no. I'm sure a CM212 is probably better than it. If I could find mounting hw for the Ultra 120 that my cousin still has, would I use it? Probably not since I'm sure the PA 120 is going to be better across the board. And if I'm not mistaken, the Venomous X was an evolution of the Ultra 120.

Point being, just because it was a pimp ride back in da day doesn't mean that it's worth a shit nowadays.

For shits I found a old review of the Dark Knight from FT with Ultra 120 numbers in it too.

125w
https://www.frostytech.com/articles/2333/4.html

150w
https://www.frostytech.com/articles/2333/5.html

You can use venomous x, 10+ year old cooler on am5, PA 120 is not better, it's just copper and nickel and aluminium
My venomous x is a little over 750g
Fans make a difference
If you want the best, then noctua d15 and g2

I remember back in the days of s939 & C2Q (2008) that Noctua coolers weren't shit and Xigmatek and Thermalright was the HSF to have and Zalman if you were poor.

Now Zalman and Xigmatek are dead and Thermalright is still on top with Noctua nipping at it's heels.

I had a Xigmatek Dark Knight w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000's on my Q9550 @ 3833 and it was loud af and could be heard down the hallway in every room. That HSF was the shit but not as good as the Ultra 120 my cousin had with the stock fans on his Q9650.

Would I still use that Dark Knight (which I still have) on anything now days? Fuck no. I'm sure a CM212 is probably better than it. If I could find mounting hw for the Ultra 120 that my cousin still has, would I use it? Probably not since I'm sure the PA 120 is going to be better across the board. And if I'm not mistaken, the Venomous X was an evolution of the Ultra 120.

Point being, just because it was a pimp ride back in da day doesn't mean that it's worth a shit nowadays.

For shits I found a old review of the Dark Knight from FT with Ultra 120 numbers in it too.

125w
https://www.frostytech.com/articles/2333/4.html

150w
https://www.frostytech.com/articles/2333/5.html
I had three different coolers back then for my three Q6600s. One was a Tuniq Tower (which was originally on an E6400) which was one of the best coolers for a very short period of time. I didn't like that thing even though it's performance was good. I swear that thing would attract every single bit of dust within a square mile and hold it in the fins. Cleaning it was terrible and the only way to do it properly was to remove the heatsink and wash it unless you blew it out with air almost every day.

The other two were the Thermalright Ultima90 and the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE120). The TRUE120 was the best heatsink at that time and didn't cost a fortune. It was great. The Ultima 90 was basically a smaller, lighter version of the TRUE120 but still used a 120mm fan although I believe it also came with clips for a 92mm fan though it didn't cool as well as the 120mm fan. The Ultima90 was cheaper than the TRUE by a decent bit and probably had 85%-90% of the cooling performance at least until you started getting into really high CPU wattages. Both of the Thermalright heatsinks had no trouble cooling Q6600s running 3.6Ghz. The Tuniq Tower was on a Q6600 which maxed at 3.51 but got bumped down later to 3.4 because once the heatsink had any dust in it it couldn't hold the higher clocks due to temperatures.

Off the top of my head I can't even remember anything about any Noctua heatsinks from that era. If there were some they didn't leave any impression in my memory and in general I kept up on most decent products through reviews.

To this day I wish I had AM4 mounting hardware for the TRUE120 just to see what it would do on my Ryzen 5800x or even my Ryzen 2600x. That thing had amazing cooling performance. It wouldn't be able to stand up to current coolers but I'd still love to see how it would perform.

Running default settings and hitting 90.. not what I would call good. At stock 5950X is capped to 143w PPT. When I have my 5900X installed I cap it at 265w PPT.

Those are processors for water cooling anyway, he kept it on venomous only until he got water cooling.
No one keeps high end processors on air cooling, it is simply very difficult to cool such processors (and OC) on air and have acceptable noise.

Seems odd of them not to include TR in their testing. Performs worse than a D15, so we know it's worse than a TR and costs more to boot.

Epilogue​

Before I proceed with the conclusion of this evaluation since it has to do with a budget-oriented product promising high performance per price, I have to address the elephant in the room: Thermalright. In almost every cooling evaluation, I receive comments about this brand and its fantastic products, sold at bottom-low prices, and you wonder why I haven’t reviewed any of them so far. The answer is that I tried to contact this brand, but I never got a response, so there are no review samples, either coolers or PSUs. I found two of their PSUs thanks to a friend who bought them and sent them to me, paying all shipping expenses. The bottom line is that from the moment a brand is not cooperative and I cannot find review samples, don’t expect a review from me. It is not that I have a problem reviewing their products. The problem is that they don’t bother sending me them. And I don’t follow the same methodology as other sites or channels, which only review stuff from cooperating brands (AKA brands that put banners on their site or sponsor their videos). I review anything and everything that I find interesting as long as I can find it!

Now that we have addressed Thermalright, it is time to proceed with the product in hand, the Mugen 6 Black edition, which rocks the air cooling world by achieving a top performance-per-price ratio! So far, I haven’t evaluated a cooling solution offering so much at this price level. With 55 dollars, you get decent performance, able to handle a power-hungry CPU with over 300W TPD, two quality fans, low noise output, easy installation, compact dimensions, compatibility with all popular sockets, and nice aesthetics. Moreover, the bundle includes a long screwdriver, so you won’t need to search for one to mount the cooler!

The only less expensive cooler I could find with similar (or higher) thermal handling power, using a dual-tower design, is the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, which looks super promising at 34 dollars, a crazy low price given its specifications!
I get it, TR's coolers are cheap, they should be able to afford it out of their own pocket.

For the last 20 years there should have been a TR cooler in all of the reviews.

I wonder why there hasn't been.. I would not take a reviewers word as gospel.

https://gamersnexus.net/megacharts/cpu-coolers

https://gamersnexus.net/coolers/tin...erless-assassin-mini-cooler-review-benchmarks

I don't see any Noctuas beating the Peerless Assassin. Fact, Thermalrights coolers are less expensive? Why? Because the others are ripping you off.
I can't believe it, something is wrong with him.I don't know who is testing him and how, but I don't believe it.G2 will be good, so hurry up.I don't believe that most of you look at the price and that it is important to you. Ultimately, performance, silence and everything else are important.Noctua is not much more expensive than the competition

Hey now, they do offer you a shiny box :D
And all the necessary tools and a tube of premium paste, and fans, I think there was also a sticker, all that stuff, I would be happy to adopt one g2.
You also have no idea that noctua fans have special bearings and everything else.Covered by a 6-year warranty.

stop with the g2 this and that, it isnt available and we have idea when it will be. its already been pushed back to q2.
1719870176738.png

My 7700x can be annoyingly high on my noctua dh15 w/ a12x25s.

Theoretical: Would the next Gen noctua fix this? Or is money better spent on 9000 series cpus that's are supposed to be cooler

Well I bought it 4 years ago. It did a great job cooling my delid oc 6700k.

What would be a noticable quietness and coolness upgrade for my Ryzen 7700x

D15 was more of an Intel cooler and never was any good on AM4 compared to some other coolers.

Last edited:
https://www.techpowerup.com/324063/...5-g2-cpu-coolers-and-nf-a14x25r-g2-140mm-fans

Here's one for the fan boys...:geek:
The comment section sounds a lot like the Thermalright thread. Lots of TR users laughing at Noctua.
The noctua subreddit is a good source of cope. The usual "but I can buy it and use it for the next 10 years".

Yup. Nobody else can possibly make a tower cooler last 10 years.

Matching TR for $150, meanwhile TR is launching the "Royal Praetor" (lol interesting name)

What would be a noticable quietness and coolness upgrade for my Ryzen 7700x
a 360 aio, i posted a new TR one in the aio thread yesterday, $60

is there a review embargo date?
they were pushed to Q2(if you mean the gen 2 d15)(edit: applies to the TR stuff too, i think)
i guess thats changed, they are on amazon.ca for $205!!! holy shit. youll probably see reviews popping up today tomorrow. (d15 g2)

Last edited:
even as a Noctua 'fan' I have to admit the $150 price tag is pretty steep...but if performance is top notch I'll have no issues buying it for my upcoming build

Noctua NH-D15 G2 CPU Cooler Official: Next-Gen Flagship with New Design & New Fans For $150

"Noctua today released its long-awaited NH-D15 G2 next-gen flagship model CPU cooler and NF-A14x25r G2 round-frame 140mm fans. Continuing the legacy of the iconic NH-D15 and its NF-A15 fans, the new G2 products come packed with Noctua’s latest technologies and have been carefully refined in all respects to provide even better quiet cooling performance than their award-winning predecessors"

For customers who would like to upgrade existing heatsinks such as the first-generation NH-D15, NH-D15S or NH-U14S series coolers, the new round-frame NF-A14x25r G2 fans will also be available separately, both in a regular single fan package (NF-A14x25r G2 PWM) and a dedicated dual fan package for push-pull configurations (NF-A14x25r G2 PWM Sx2-PP)...

https://wccftech.com/noctua-nh-d15-...ext-gen-flagship-new-design-new-fans-150-usd/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lu-77_0DJc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj56DBkQi9Y

Back