Current 43" 4K options?

KD43X720E $478 ....where are you seeing this price ?

Someone asked about black friday/cyber monday prices. Sony completely controls what price their products are across all authorized sellers e.g. the 43" is on sale for $498 at every authorized retailer.

I went to best buy and looked at the Vizio 43" E series, and it has the same shitty pixel dot matrix color rendering as the D43 series.

They're both the same shit quality

Same goes for the Sharp 43" Roku TV at bestbuy.

Just to refresh your memory, this is "dot matrix" color. Fuckin yuck...

I went to Best Buy, intending to look at the Samsung UN43MU6290 because there was a $298 deal on them at Sam's and I wanted to see it in person before ordering. Didn't find any on display, though that trip took too long and I missed the deal anyway.

Anyway, this time they had a 2017 Vizio E43-E2 (last time I was there a few months ago, they only had a 2016 model). They were running a 4K feed to it, and honestly, I couldn't see any pixel dithering at all. It was actually a very good looking picture, and I do believe it's IPS because viewing angles seemed very good on it, much better than the VA Hisense next to it. Tried to take some closeup pics with my phone. I can't seem to see any obvious pixel dithering, at least not as obvious as in your pics. Is there any subtle pixel dithering in these images that I'm just not eagle-eyed enough to spot?

20171216_153519.jpg

20171216_153529.jpg

They also had an open-box Sony XBR43X800E for $577 and open-box KV-43X720E for $395. They both had excellent viewing angles, I couldn't really tell that the X800E is that much worse than the X720E. Color was a bit better on the X800E for current settings, whatever they are (both displaying same video feed in sync). X720E may not have very good color gamut, but for some reason it looked so much better than all the other smaller TVs in the store (except the X800E). Could just be adjusted extra vibrant, I suppose.

the vizio pixel noise is there, but it's not as easy to see as on a 50"+ TV.

I'm going there to return a TV tomorrow, so I'll check the vizio again and take some pics.

A lot of the best buy demo videos are with bright colors, so it's harder to see.

I went to Best Buy, intending to look at the Samsung UN43MU6290 because there was a $298 deal on them at Sam's and I wanted to see it in person before ordering. Didn't find any on display, though that trip took too long and I missed the deal anyway.

Anyway, this time they had a 2017 Vizio E43-E2 (last time I was there a few months ago, they only had a 2016 model). They were running a 4K feed to it, and honestly, I couldn't see any pixel dithering at all. It was actually a very good looking picture, and I do believe it's IPS because viewing angles seemed very good on it, much better than the VA Hisense next to it. Tried to take some closeup pics with my phone. I can't seem to see any obvious pixel dithering, at least not as obvious as in your pics. Is there any subtle pixel dithering in these images that I'm just not eagle-eyed enough to spot?

View attachment 46676
View attachment 46677

They also had an open-box Sony XBR43X800E for $577 and open-box KV-43X720E for $395. They both had excellent viewing angles, I couldn't really tell that the X800E is that much worse than the X720E. Color was a bit better on the X800E for current settings, whatever they are (both displaying same video feed in sync). X720E may not have very good color gamut, but for some reason it looked so much better than all the other smaller TVs in the store (except the X800E). Could just be adjusted extra vibrant, I suppose.

the display on the x800e, should look better , it has a 10 bit color and the trimlumiuous display engine.....i noticed a difference and the brightness is better

took some pics. See the noise in the dark greys, like a brick pattern and dots? That's some shitty static dither.
The whitish letters are not an even tone , not every pixel is evenly lit. You can see a brick pattern on them too.
The light greys have every other pixel dimmed.
If you loaded a web browser on it, it would look awful.

JD25ZKX.jpg
L6kct2O.jpg
USAw9fx.jpg
wgSFWDd.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I can definitely see dither in your pics. Makes me think of the dithering common on 256-color GIFs. Thanks for the better pics.

Still looking for a 43" bedroom TV.

The Sony Sony X800E woudl have been my first choice. But the black uniformity issues scared me away.
Samsung UN43MU6300 woudl have been a good choice, until they changed to an IPS panel.
Also came across the Samsung UN43MU6290 on rtings.com, pointing out good contrast and black levels. Does anyone know about this model?

the 43 6290 has the same IPS panel as the 6300, according to slickdeals users who bought it when it went on sale for $299.

So, I still have my Wasabi Mango UHD400 (https://hardforum.com/threads/wasabi-mango-uhd400-40-4k-display.1896921/). It is still an awesome monitor, but the only thing lacking is HDR. Any recommendations for a 40-43" television which has HDR and still serves as a great computer monitor? I'm seeing good reviews on the 43" TCL from rtings, but apparently the brightness is too low for HDR.
Sony 43" X800D or Samsung 40" MU7000 are your best bets. If you're not in a rush, it might be worth waiting a couple months to see what the 2018 4K TV line up has to offer. I'm hoping for something new in the 40" - 43" range, myself.

Sony 43" X800D or Samsung 40" MU7000 are your best bets. If you're not in a rush, it might be worth waiting a couple months to see what the 2018 4K TV line up has to offer. I'm hoping for something new in the 40" - 43" range, myself.

Not in a rush. Probably a good idea to see what comes out of CES.

I ended up buying the Samsung UN43MU6290. Picture is better than the old 37" it replaces. Only issue I found so far is that the TV has issues with fast moving sports; e.g. balls in Tennis. Not sure if this is an issue of the TV or scaler. All my content comes from an XBOX (TV through MediaExtender, Amazon, Netflix).

However, I decided to wall mount the 43" display which freed up space. At this point I decided to return the 43" and go for a 49". I should have listened...

Wondering what to get know given my needs: bedroom TV (dark), all content through XBOX
- Samsung UN49MU6290 - same line - but should have better contrast due to the VA panel
- Samsung UN49MU7000
- Samsung UN49MU8000
What do I gain moving up given my use?

The Sony XBR49X900E woudl be best. But I wonder at which point it is overkill for the application.

Last edited:
rtings says the 7000 series has better blacks and slightly better color gamut (negligible real world) than the 6000. Everything else is about the same.

you decide whether the $170 price difference is worth it.

I'm using the 43" Sony X800D and am very pleased. It's basically the VA version of the X800E.

Using the exact same tv, this will tide me over until lg starts making those 80+ inch 8k oled tvs in 2019 or later so we can start getting some 40+ inch oled 4k tvs/monitors.

How does one decide between all of the 43" offerings which is best? For me price is an important factor. I'm not picky about color and a lot of other things discussed here. Mostly use monitor for software development, so black and white text.

How does one decide between all of the 43" offerings which is best? For me price is an important factor. I'm not picky about color and a lot of other things discussed here. Mostly use monitor for software development, so black and white text.

Check out https://www.rtings.com/tv

They allow you to input your requirements to find the best recommendations for you. Plus their reviews are great.

I ended up with the TCL 43S405, and have been extremely pleased with my purchase.

After some research decided on buying LG 43" from costco for $600. One of the reasons it was appealing is that it is not a TV , does not have a remote, so other people can't mess with it. Other people have Sony TVs in my area so thier remote could affect my monitor. Would have to cover up the IR sensor.
https://www.costco.com/LG-43UD79-B-43"-Ultra-HD-4K-IPS-Monitor.product.100378322.html

Excuse me, but you are worried about IR light from a remote at another location effecting your TV.

I'm just thinking no way, it's light, not a radio signal.

T
Excuse me, but you are worried about IR light from a remote at another location effecting your TV.

I'm just thinking no way, it's light, not a radio signal.

Not only is it light, but it has an incredibly short range. You need direct line of sight. This is why I said not to worry about it.

Not only is it light, but it has an incredibly short range. You need direct line of sight. This is why I said not to worry about it.
The person who sits next to me has a Sony TV and for a while I had a Sony also and his remote would affect mine. Range is greater than 20 feet in my house. The remotes I've used can bounce off walls so I don't agree they require direct line of site.

Worst of all there is an occasional prankster that will want to turn off you monitor for the fun of it.

Last edited:
I need some advice. I do alot of PC gaming and I like to replace my monitor with a decent 4K TV. I was looking at the Samsing UN49MU7000. I did do some research online it states pretty good for gaming. I have a two 1070 Asus Video cards in SLI and play alot of racing games. Do you guys think this would be good TV. I plan to mount it to the wall.

I need some advice. I do alot of PC gaming and I like to replace my monitor with a decent 4K TV. I was looking at the Samsing UN49MU7000. I did do some research online it states pretty good for gaming. I have a two 1070 Asus Video cards in SLI and play alot of racing games. Do you guys think this would be good TV. I plan to mount it to the wall.

I haven't researched the MU7000, but traditionally the Samsung 4K TVs have had great reputations when used as PC monitors. I enjoyed my JS9000 (2015 model) very much, and there are many people here with positive things to say about the newer ones also.

The lower end sets like the $300 40" models did receive some criticism for slow-ish pixel transition times which led to some trailing/ghosting but were well liked for office use and general productivity. I would try to find some reviews of the MU7000 if you plan to use it for gaming, just to ensure that's not going to be an issue.

Thanks. Should I follow rtings settings for calibration? I bought the TV today. I have to admit it is huge but nice.

Thanks. Should I follow rtings settings for calibration? I bought the TV today. I have to admit it is huge but nice.
Rtings' settings are a good starting point. Always can tweak them to your liking.

So one thing I'm confused about, and I have the X800D, I figured HDR was just something a screen would support, and if the source (in this case a GPU) also supported, it would do it's thing. Or is that how it does work with the TV on Auto and Graphics set to some option? If I do set HDR10 on the TV, it's silly bright. Like the text on a tab of chrome, the letters will be almost taken over by the blooming white tab. Games will be alright but kind of bright + neon-ish! What are the proper settings TV/GPU wise?

I been trying to decide getting one of these 4K TV vs Dell UltraSharp U3017 (2560x1600). I can get U3017 for ~$600. I am using this mostly for programming and office work, so picture/text quality is more important than input lag. Any advice/thoughts?

I have older Dell 30 inch in my other computer and the size is perfect. Yes 4K would be better, but 1. 40 inch monitor means larger table space, and 2. just not sure what text would look like when using one of these 4K TV.

I been trying to decide getting one of these 4K TV vs Dell UltraSharp U3017 (2560x1600). I can get U3017 for ~$600. I am using this mostly for programming and office work, so picture/text quality is more important than input lag. Any advice/thoughts?

I have older Dell 30 inch in my other computer and the size is perfect. Yes 4K would be better, but 1. 40 inch monitor means larger table space, and 2. just not sure what text would look like when using one of these 4K TV.
I had a Dell 3008WFP and went to a 4K TV. I'm a writer and work with big documents. There's so much more screen real estate with 4K. Text on a 40" or 43" is very sharp, too. You can check this site for size comparisons of different TVs and monitors.

http://www.displaywars.com/30-inch-16x10-vs-40-inch-16x9

I had a Dell 3008WFP and went to a 4K TV. I'm a writer and work with big documents. There's so much more screen real estate with 4K. Text on a 40" or 43" is very sharp, too. You can check this site for size comparisons of different TVs and monitors.

I couldn't agree more. I went from 3x 30" Dell 3007WFP-HCs to a 4K monitor. Granted, I lost out on real estate but in games I gained for sure as NVSurround wasn't supported very well in most games.

What 4K TV do you use if you don't mind sharing? I am going to Best Buy this weekend to look at a few models. I hope they have Sony XBR43X800E on display - seems to have pretty good review. I wonder if Best Buy would let me hook up my laptop real quick so I can see how text look like on that TV.

Thank you Commander Shepard and Dan_D.

Samsung MU7000 40" for me. It's a great 4K for monitor use. I also have an X800D 43" that's a great TV monitor. I recently moved it to full time TV duty in my bedroom.

I use a Samsung KS8500 49".

I use the 55" version in my bedroom and I love it. How has the 49" worked out as a monitor (close up)? Does it support 120hz gaming, or does it lock it at 60hz? I have a 40" Seiki now, which I have no real complaints with, but there is no HDR and it is only 60hz. I have been looking to upgrade, but the offerings thus far do not seem to be up to par. Can't believe the tech isn't ready, but I suppose the market for them has not been there yet.

I use the 55" version in my bedroom and I love it. How has the 49" worked out as a monitor (close up)? Does it support 120hz gaming, or does it lock it at 60hz? I have a 40" Seiki now, which I have no real complaints with, but there is no HDR and it is only 60hz. I have been looking to upgrade, but the offerings thus far do not seem to be up to par. Can't believe the tech isn't ready, but I suppose the market for them has not been there yet.

No, it's only 60Hz. Outside of that I have no complaints. The size is about as big as I'd go for a computer monitor though.

Back