Current 43" 4K options?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
What's a good option for monitor use? I do play games, and I do a lot of reading as well. So far people from my own research it seems that the X800E is not a bad way to go, but that is 1k( Canadian). Any input :p?

That's my question too. What are the choices besides Viewsonic VX?? and Philips BDM4335

Almost all of the 43 inchers use the same TPVision panel, which has image retention issues.

The Phillips, Acer and Viewsonic use DC for brightness control, the Dell uses PWM with very noticeable flickering.

The LG 43ud79 uses an LG panel (no reported retention) but it also uses PWM.

All of these panels are basically repurposed 8bit + frc TV panels - BGR subpixel configuration, shadows around monitor edges etc.

LG could have knocked this out of the park, but they went with PWM.. Sigh. The wait continues...

I love my Wasabi Mango UHD430. It's an AH-IPS panel and has no image retention issues. Really no issues at all. If you don't mind buying from Korea it's a great option. I got a A+ grade panel from ebay and it's served my really well.

Almost all of the 43 inchers use the same TPVision panel, which has image retention issues.

The Phillips, Acer and Viewsonic use DC for brightness control, the Dell uses PWM with very noticeable flickering.

The LG 43ud79 uses an LG panel (no reported retention) but it also uses PWM.

All of these panels are basically repurposed 8bit + frc TV panels - BGR subpixel configuration, shadows around monitor edges etc.

LG could have knocked this out of the park, but they went with PWM.. Sigh. The wait continues...

is the philip 4035UC the same type of panel as 4350UC? Because I'm using 4035UC, I bought it the day it came out. And I don't see any image retention in the past 2 yr.

The X800E seems like the best option right now: 4K 444@60Hz, no PWM, good viewing angles, no image retention.
I love my Wasabi Mango UHD430. It's an AH-IPS panel and has no image retention issues. Really no issues at all. If you don't mind buying from Korea it's a great option. I got a A+ grade panel from ebay and it's served my really well.

How does the mango compare with the Sony? Difference being one is AH-IPS and the other is VA?

I'm not sure if PWM annoys me or not, I think my monitors @ work might use PWM, however the only time it bothers my eyes is when the lights are on over my desk, and they have their own flicker as well.

I'm using the 43" Sony X800D and am very pleased. It's basically the VA version of the X800E.

I see. Thanks. I might have to find a used D then, or is the E superior.

How is the vizio d series? It's $350 less.

Comes down to preferences. D has sharper colors, better blacks, also less expensive. E has better viewing angles. YouTube has some good reviews for both.

Comes down to preferences. D has sharper colors, better blacks, also less expensive. E has better viewing angles. YouTube has some good reviews for both.
Do they both do 4:4:4?

Also, HDR on TV sets, like the x800. Does it reflect HDR output from a PC? OR is it just a marketing thing on TvlV sets

+1 Same

After some research and tips from the Commander, I bought and have been playing with my new X800D.
Awesome, beautiful TV. It replaced a curved 40" 2015 Samsung 40JU7500.
Also a beautiful TV but with PWM. I'm sensitive to it and couldn't deal with it anymore.
I've had 2 full days with the X800D and am buying a X800E for work.
VA for dark home/gaming, IPS for bright work with productivity/no viewing angle issues.

Weren't the X800D phased out or being phased out? I think that's why stock has dried up.

So I picked up the D43-E2 4K Vizio set, it will not allow me to set 4:4:4 @4k60 , it will @ 4k30 though. Is it possible that the cable is not up to it? It's a Redmere HDMI cable.

Or is it the input :p?

Throw the Redmere in the trash and get a certified Monoprice cable. True story.

figured it out, use HDMI 1, as HDMI2-4 (even though both 2 and 4 are rated as "best")

One thing i feel is weird is the motion, sometimes it almost feels like it's got that soap opera effect even though its only 60hz.
Throw the Redmere in the trash and get a certified Monoprice cable. True story.

it is a certified monoprice cable :p

anyway it was HDMI 1, the cable was fine. it's a 50ft cable.l

The monitor is going back sadly, it's a bit too big for my desk, and World of Warships has no concept of UI Scaling... so back to the 34" for now.

otherwise, it looks like it does NOT use PWM and 4:4:4 worked fine. picture was freaking awesome. though if I mount it on the wall behind my desk it would be ok size wise, the issue with WoWs is still a problem though.

So I've done my search engine research on IPS burn in. There are definitely a lot of people on the internet complaining on this issue, including ]H] members here. The $1 million question: knowing so, why is the industry still using IPS technology?

Viewing angles, color accuracy.

Each panel has its own pros/cons.

So I've done my search engine research on IPS burn in. There are definitely a lot of people on the internet complaining on this issue, including ]H] members here. The $1 million question: knowing so, why is the industry still using IPS technology?

What? I've had multiple ips monitors without any burn in issues

IPS image retention is not a problem with 90% of the panels out there. However, there are a few 4k TV panels that exhibit this phenomenon, and some of them are used in large 4k monitors, which poses obvious problems

Super cheap option if you can find it, Sharp LC-43N6100U. Some Walmarts have them clearanced at $100.
http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=50855541
It's a VA panel, PWM, and has some funky anti-aliasing I can't shut off. Bought the last one a local Walmart had for $184. Originally was not too thrilled with the funky anti-aliasing effect on text, but wife isn't nearly as picky with text crispness, so I replaced her dual monitors with it and she loves it. I've been using it sometimes, and I do think it's pretty great for the price I paid. For $100, I'd pick up another in a heartbeat if I could.
Last firmware update enabled HDR in Windows 10, but enabling it makes everything very dark and the only thing that looks normal are HDR videos.

Still thinking to spring for the X800E for my computer, but I see there's a new budget model, KD-43X720E. No reviews yet on it, and no info on whether it's IPS or VA. It lacks AndroidTV of the X800 series, but I don't think anyone using it as a monitor will miss that.

I bought a Samsung KU6100 40" 4K@60 and 4:4:4 from Costco at like $499

You get a bit of tearing and the blurring is very good for a 60hz panel. Input lag is <20ms, very happy with it. I will hold off with this one until there is a 40" 4k Qdot/Oled HDR10 100hz+ Panel available for not >$2000.

You sure? This review of the similar KU6300 lists a pretty awful 36.7ms in 4:4:4.

It looks like Samsung made a big improvement with the 2017 model MU6300, reaching a marginally tolerable 21ms.

I bought a Samsung KU6100 40" 4K@60 and 4:4:4 from Costco at like $499

You get a bit of tearing and the blurring is very good for a 60hz panel. Input lag is <20ms, very happy with it. I will hold off with this one until there is a 40" 4k Qdot/Oled HDR10 100hz+ Panel available for not >$2000.

Not in 4:4:4 it doesn't get <20ms , not even close. People would be all over it if so. Very , very few , if any TV's get <20 ms in 4:4:4

I believe according to rtings.com, TCL's 4K models have the lowest input lag of all TV manufacturers.

Checking in to report on my time with my 43" X800D. It's fantastic. Took a while to get used to a flat screen after a couple years with 49" curved screens. In fact, for a couple days, the 800D looked almost convex to my eyes. Really weird!!

After updating the software and tweaking the settings, my 800D looks almost as good as my 49" KS8500 did when it was my monitor. The screen seems to be less reflective than my KS, too. I think the 43" is really good for 4K, as is 48" - 50". It's nice to have a pretty big screen without always looking up as with my bigger KS. Definitely gets my high recommendation for 4K.

Back