Curious about any laptops with IPS panels....

JaguarSKX

[H]ard|Gawd
I figure I would get better responses here than in the Mobile Cumputing sub-forum, so...

I am considering buying a new laptop with Win 7. I pretty much narrowed down the list to a few possible candidates, but I believe they all have TN panels. Does anyone know of any particular series of laptops with IPS screens that are no more than 5 pounds and roughly 14" screen?

Thanks.

Not that I know of. Laptops seem to be universally TN these days. There are a couple high end exceptions like the HP DreamColor stuff but you don't wanna know what that costs.

Not that I know of. Laptops seem to be universally TN these days. There are a couple high end exceptions like the HP DreamColor stuff but you don't wanna know what that costs.

I guess you are referring to the HP Elitebook 8740 series. Unfortunately, that's heavier than I want my laptop to be and the 17" screen also means it's too big as well.

Yeah, I'm looking for something a little more portable... not a desktop replacement.

I think the Lenovo x201 tablet has an IPS panel (or at least the older models used to have IPS panels)

I think the Lenovo x201 tablet has an IPS panel (or at least the older models used to have IPS panels)

Check out NBR. Normally, there is one for sale with the AFFS mod :D

X200 laptop and X201 laptop. I haven't heard of a tablet with the AFFS (IPS) screen...

Hmmm.... Maybe I should have also stated something with a discreet video card that allows me to play games between low and medium quality settings (closer to medium of course).

Just to give an idea I am considering the following laptops; which don't have IPS panels :( ...

1. ThinkPad T410s (only a nVidia NVS 3100M)
2. Latitude E6410 (only a nVidia NVS 3100M)
3. IdeaPad Y460 (not sure of build quality compared to ThinkPad T series, but at least this has a HD 5650)

Well, I'm not looking to buy immediately so at least I have time to do lots of research. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions...

Why don't you buy a real IPS monitor... I'm sure it'll be cheaper this way + your screen will be bigger + your laptop won't end up looking like it's from the 1990's.

Because a lot of laptops (most) feature trash TN panels (150:1-250:1 CR, bad color control etc.). I'm surprised you didn't use your whitty post to recommend a macbook, since those are some of the exceptions (albeit TN).

There are no 14" (4:3 or widescreen) IPS panels of any kind. AFFS = IPS from Hydis (with a higer transmittance), so even if you decided to buy a 14" laptop and upgrade the screen later, there's no upgrade path.

There are no 8-bit AFFS/AFFS+ laptop screens either for that matter - all 6 bit.
The closest roughly 14" would be 13.3", but either you'll want to find a laptop with the HV133WX1-100 screen or buy a 13.3" laptop which already features LED backlight, and connects to the LCD by a 40 pin connector.

In total, it's possible to get IPS laptop panels in 12" (XGA, SXGA+, WXGA), 13.3" (WXGA), 15" (SXGA+, UXGA, QXGA) and finally LG's latest (and only panel) in the latest 17" HP Dreamcolor notebook. AFAIK LG also has a 15.6" FHD IPS display in the making, so maybe this was something worth considering waiting for, since 17" is kinda large compared to what you are looking for.

Back