Curious about 290x clocks / What are yours?

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone.

I retired my lovely but struggling 6970 and moved up to a 290x. I fitted an Aquacomputer block with active backplate on it so the downsides were somewhat mitigated.

In my overclocking adventures, I found that this card is able to clock like mad. However, it seems almost too good to be true. With the 6970, I was able to just max the core clock and memory sliders in MSI Afterburner (I forget exactly but I think it was 930 core/1100 memory), no change in voltage.

So far with the 290x, I have been able to get to 1300 core/1500 memory (haven't pushed the memory further due to apprehension) with +36 voltage. Core temps max 71C at 100% load with Furmark for sixty minutes in addition to loops of Uningine Valley. VRM1 get to mid-60C, VRM2 at mid-40C.

Getting to the point, have I gotten lucky in the card lottery or is this something expected?

1300 core on a 290X? I have honestly never seen anyone get clocks that high.

what..? 1300mhz?.. a 290X at 1300mhz its a monster card.. can you please provide some pics and benchmark?.. those cards are even rare to see it at 1200mhz even on water..

That's what I thought! It worried me because everything I have read (as many articles as I could find, including the [H]) struggled getting to 1200mhz. I simply didn't believe it.

I confirmed with GPU-Z, Sapphire Trixx, MSI Afterburner, Unigine Valley and Heaven, along with Furmark.

It's at stock now since I wanted to get some feedback, but I'll put together some screenshots and post them.

Yes I would say you managed a golden sample.

I would be very curious to see power consumption @ 1300/1500. It has to be somewhere near 500w.

Amazing!. great card Ricedaddy definitely a golden chip you have there and some serious power too.. gratz..

I have a reference XFX 290 that I unlocked to a 290x put a G10, H55, and a VRM cooling kit on. I could get it upto 1200/1350 and that was it reliably.

Now I have the XFX and a MSI R9 290x Gamer that are running in crossfire. I run them both at 1050/1300. The XFX hovers at 65degrees under full load and the MSI usually is around 75-80.

Back