Cult of Apple Shuns Cult of Apple for Cult of Apple

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Reuters is reporting that the iPhone 7 is outselling the iPhone 8, and this is not usually how things go with those that buy into the Cult of Apple. Meh. Thanks cageymaru.

“Many respondents indicated that a meaningful portion of customers are buying iPhone 7 in lieu of the new iPhone 8, given the lack of significant enhancements in the new phone,” KeyBanc analyst John Vinh wrote in a client note.

Apple last month introduced the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, which resemble the iPhone 7 but have a glass back for wireless charging. While iPhone 8 starts from $699 in the United States, iPhone 7 is retailing from $549 after a price cut.

I think it's just getting to that point of form over function over spending money over do you really need a new phone.

In all honesty...even after going to a Galaxy S8 there's nothing in me that doesn't want to go back to my BlackBerry Passport. Just for my uses it's a better more user friendly phone that does everything I need better than Android. But I'd lose my Wear support so it isn't happening...BUT I just say this to illustrate that I think most people are just becoming OK with their iPhones.

Plus it doesn't help that the iPhone 8 isn't really much of a upgrade. I mean, sure everything about it is just about better but so what? At this point I don't think it matters.

My employer got us an iPhone 8 for software development. I played with the device for a few hours - certainly a nice iPhone. However, I use an iPhone 7. I don't see any features in the 8 that makes me want to replace my 7. Sure, I know there are lots of improvements but you don't notice them using it. It even looks a lot like a 7. I've heard that cell retailers are telling customers to with the 7 vs the 8 to save some money.
Why did Apple even make the 8? They made it obsolete when Tim Cook spoke "Just one more thing.." The iPhone X is what people want. (I'm not getting it for personal use - think its too expensive.) I guess the 7 will be discontinued soon and the 8 is for someone that doesn't want to spend for an X. No mentioned if the iPhone SE is getting upgraded...

I think it's just getting to that point of form over function over spending money over do you really need a new phone.

In all honesty...even after going to a Galaxy S8 there's nothing in me that doesn't want to go back to my BlackBerry Passport. Just for my uses it's a better more user friendly phone that does everything I need better than Android. But I'd lose my Wear support so it isn't happening...BUT I just say this to illustrate that I think most people are just becoming OK with their iPhones.

Plus it doesn't help that the iPhone 8 isn't really much of a upgrade. I mean, sure everything about it is just about better but so what? At this point I don't think it matters.

Exactly my phone works fine. The only thing I wish it had (and I'd be likely to use as a reason to upgrade) is pure Android natively. Because of a bootloader lock, I have to use an engineering bootloader which is slower.

So outside of some people wanting the latest and greatest, it's getting to the point where there isn't a reason to upgrade. The CPU's are fast enough, the battery is about the same among them, the camera is good enough, and the screens are fine.

Same thing happened with general PC's, they reached "good enough" levels in the lower tiers that many users can go years without upgrading.

Hell, I'm still using a Galaxy s6 active, and other than the battery starting to give me issues, there's no reason to upgrade.

I'm still using a Galaxy s6 active, and other than the battery starting to give me issues, there's no reason to upgrade.

I'm still using a Note 4, and don't see any reason to upgrade. Plenty of Ram, Good camera, great display, replaceable battery, and an SD card slot.

I still have a couple family members using Nexus 4's, but they are starting to show their age (the phone not the family members) :p
16GB flash and 1GB ram just isn't enough for the new bloated apps.

Lol this fucking thread. I’m going to be rocking the iPhone X and if you want to call me an Idiot so be it.

I played with the 8 in the store and it wasn’t compelling enough.

Using my 6 plus till it won't boot anymore :p

Half the apps don't open. And the ones that do, crash most of the time. Random reboots. The ear speaker doesn't work so I have to use the loud speaker when making calls. Shit battery life, even after a eBay battery swap :LOL:

I'm still using a Note 4, and don't see any reason to upgrade. Plenty of Ram, Good camera, great display, replaceable battery, and an SD card slot.

I still have a couple family members using Nexus 4's, but they are starting to show their age (the phone not the family members) :p
16GB flash and 1GB ram just isn't enough for the new bloated apps.

Wasnt the Nexus 4 2GB? I would think the battery was more the issue now. I know my Dad's just lasts a day for him. It was a hand me down from me.

I do think that a lot of potential 8 purchasers are actually just waiting for the X instead: if you're the sort of person who has to have the latest phone, why get an 8 now when the X will be here shortly?

It does seem like Apple have fucked it a bit by launching two new model tiers a couple of months apart.

Using my 6 plus till it won't boot anymore :p

The ear speaker doesn't work so I have to use the loud speaker when making calls.
Take a Q-tip with some isopropyl and clean out the line right below the front facing camera. My friend had the same issue you described and I told him that over the phone and it fixed it right up.

Wasnt the Nexus 4 2GB? I would think the battery was more the issue now. I know my Dad's just lasts a day for him. It was a hand me down from me.

You're right. It does have 2Gb ram. (thought it only had 1GB). Explains why it is still usable with all the bloated apps.

Back