CS:S = $5 on steam.

good price for an old game thats still popular but is old as dirt or shall i say chess or poker?

css is the only game ive constantly played over the last 4 years. its great because its so easy to learn but impossible to fully master. once you find a good server with a good rotation and with a solid community its hard to beat.

my personal set up is the m3 pump shotty with the p228. its a deadly combo.

FINALLY!!! I WAS WAITING FOR THIS!!! NowI don't have to go back and forth between my accounts to play 1.6/CZ and CSS.

Going to get it and finally see what the fuss is about. I played CS a long time ago and never really "got it"...for $5 I'll definitely pick this up and hope I can find some n00b friendly servers. :D

CS:S is a fun game and one of the main reasons why I got big into the online fps. A lot of the maps suck, and snipers totally kill a lot of the other maps, but if you can find a decent server with decent players where half aren't snipers than one can get hours out of this game.

And if you join a server with nothing but snipers just teamkill until they ban you because a team full of snipers should be punished and you don't ever want to play on such a shitty server again.

For $5 this is definitely worth it for anyone with a passing interest in online fps.

FINALLY!!! I WAS WAITING FOR THIS!!! NowI don't have to go back and forth between my accounts to play 1.6/CZ and CSS.

SAME EXACT! I was hoping it would go on sale for the BF deals but it never did. Now I finally get to stop switching accounts!

just play on a server that restricts awp/auto to two per team. sniper laming problem solved. also, ive played CS and CSS for what seems like a million years, and this is totally worth five bucks even if it is a fossil of a game

Tons of snipers in cs:s?

Were you playing scoutzknives or something...
Dust 2 is really bad for snipers sometimes. I don't care if there are one or two per team, but sometimes ihalf the damn team is snipers and it just sucks all the fun out of it on both sides IMO.

just play on a server that restricts awp/auto to two per team. sniper laming problem solved. also, ive played CS and CSS for what seems like a million years, and this is totally worth five bucks even if it is a fossil of a game

For the record, this is a great deal.

But two awps per team does not fix the utterly atrocious sniper balance in this game. 2 awps can completely decimate the enemy team if skilled, and take out at least half if just mediocre. So you gotta find servers where the awp is completely banned. Too bad the unbelievably bad balance split the community (which by the way has been sucked away by TF2 and the endless MW series).

have they done anything in the game to make it look better like they do with some older games? I mean, once u get to the point where u can max all settings, you want to be able to do more.

I know the question is out a little there. I'm looking for an excuse to reinstall.

CSS isn't working for me. Hmm. Anyone else running into compatibility probs with Windows 7 x64?

kirk: no. no real gfx enhancements besides custom maps...

But two awps per team does not fix the utterly atrocious sniper balance in this game. 2 awps can completely decimate the enemy team if skilled, and take out at least half if just mediocre. So you gotta find servers where the awp is completely banned. Too bad the unbelievably bad balance split the community (which by the way has been sucked away by TF2 and the endless MW series).

nahh i dont agree. well i agree that awp is overpowered, but you're saying its unable to be countered? that i cant swallow. there are many routes, strats and weaps that you can utilize to take down all but the most oppressively skilled awp whores...and if thats the case, they'd be owning you no matter what gun they handled. :)

good price for an old game thats still popular but is old as dirt or shall i say chess or poker?

Chess, Poker, and Counter Strike are still played constantly for good reason.

I feel like the guys who made Counter Strike had an understanding of game design and were aware of it the same way board game or TCG designers are when they design games.

Most people making multiplayer games don't seem to put much value in the actual game itself and instead focus on the graphics and other things.

For the record, this is a great deal.

First, when pubbing there are plenty of servers where awps are banned.

Honestly though, this isn't a design flaw. Its just the game isn't regularly played the way it was meant to be played. You are supposed to start with 800 and play some rounds and then start over.

Even late in matches I don't think most teams run more than 2 awps and its pretty rare to see one before round 4.
Its pretty boring even just playing with AKs/M4s every round too. So taking the awps away doesn't help that much.

Playing the game the way it was intended(with the buy system actually mattering) is what makes it work.

Last edited:
CSS isn't working for me. Hmm. Anyone else running into compatibility probs with Windows 7 x64?

no.. never had any problems with any Windows OS with it (XP 32-64,Vista 32-64, Win 7 32-64)

I've been playing CS:S since it was in beta in 04. I still play the game more often than any other game. In my opinion you cant beat the game play of CS or CS:S.I dont any other 5 year old game that still has such a large community (except for maybe 1.6).

Dammit, I'm tempted to get this. Sadly I have no money in my debit card :(

I see its a weekend deal, So I will get it later on.

Chess, Poker, and Counter Strike are still played constantly for good reason.

I feel like the guys who made Counter Strike had an understanding of game design and were aware of it the same way board game or TCG designers are when they design games.

Most people making multiplayer games don't seem to put much value in the actual game itself and instead focus on the graphics and other things.

First, when pubbing there are plenty of servers where awps are banned.

Honestly though, this isn't a design flaw. Its just the game isn't regularly played the way it was meant to be played. You are supposed to start with 800 and play some rounds and then start over.

Even late in matches I don't think most teams run more than 2 awps and its pretty rare to see one before round 4.
Its pretty boring even just playing with AKs/M4s every round too. So taking the awps away doesn't help that much.

Playing the game the way it was intended(with the buy system actually mattering) is what makes it work.

Theres a couple mods that balance things in pubs. My favorite is no awps/auto unless theres 16+ people on. and then on 32 man pubs 4 awps 1 auto per team, but really it's soo difficult to balance these things. The number #1 pub period is 24/7 Dust 2 N00bSalad(not personal opinion its the number 1 ranked based on population) and they let everyone awp and auto. So I literally only go there when I want to awp challenge people but not do deathmatch.

i think this game by now should be free to any steam account holder

No way, you don't see DoD: Source being free, or anything. CS: Source is still a quality made product and lots of people still play it. Definitely a steal at $5.

Thanks OP, just got one. I had been meaning to get an on sale boxed copy for the longest time now since you also get DoD:Source out of it, but never got around to it or one never came up. Oh well, guess I'll get them separately now. :)

Back