CS:GO Weapon Skin Sells For $61,000

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A skin for a sniper rifle in CS:GO has sold for $61,052.63. Why so much? Personally I have no idea, but I'll give you the item specifics. The skin is the "Dragon Lore" skin for the "AWP" sniper rifle. The skin itself ranks among the most expensive skins in the game, but this one is special. Over the weekend Cloud9 became the first North American team with win a CS:GO major tournament. This "Dragon Lore" skin is a "souvenir skin" which are only available from packages that drop during Valve sponsored tournaments, "Dragon Lore" being the rarest skin in the $30 "Cobblestone Collection" loot box. And finally, this particular "Dragon Lore" skin features an "autograph" of Tyler "Skadoodle" Latham, the MVP of the game where Cloud9 made it's mark.

It would be a hard choice. Do I pay off my house, or buy a digital weapon skin for a $15 game? I hate to sound extra snarky but this is a blatant example of more money than brains to me. The seller, nicknamed "Drone" said in an interview that he originally bought the skin for $35,000.

"We agreed on that price since that was the only price I was willing to accept," he explained. "Otherwise I would have kept it. I didn’t originally get into this game solely for profit," he says. "I just got very lucky a couple of times, and money is more valuable to different people. I’m very lucky in my financial state to where I can afford to buy these skins and it does not affect me."

Somebody must have money to burn !!!! Its just an item in a game. Am I missing something here ??
You are missing something, it’s not even an item. It’s just a skin to make the item look different. Which is arguably worse.

skinz = winz

wow that is pretty dumb... some rich door knob wanted that pretty badly apparently..

It is something I don't enjoy about this game is constant barrage of noobs yabbering about / begging for skinz at least in casual..

I'd be embarrassed to equip it if I were him (making it more worthless than it already was). I see you with that skin and automatically you're painted as an idiot with too much money. You know what happens to idiots with too much money?

Well now I don't feel so bad for spending $1 on a DOTA 2 cosmetic the other day.

I do not understand the frivolous hate on CSGO skins. Have none of you ever bought something for fun because you wanted too? I think that a 60K skin is silly yes but I think the hate is thinly disguised jealousy that someone can drop that kinda moolah on a cheap valve game and it doesn't even bother the buyer.

Good news! One should celebrate luxury spending, wherever it occurs. The rich should live luxuriously and let it trickle down on us!

Some people have made a lot of money trading and selling skins in CSGO. While it is a lot its like a rare trading card for a sport, one day it could be worth nothing more than the paper its printed on but it could also increase in value. Now that eSports have hit mainstream its entirely possible that items like this could hold value for a very long time. People still play CS1.6 imagine if they had skins, most would be worthless right now but if you had something like this for ksharp maybe it would be worth a couple hundred thousand. This could go up in value, in fact I would bet that given all the news about it, that alone had driven the value up. I bet the guy who bought it already has offers for more than he paid for it.

This isn't really that bad of a purchase given all the details of it.

Also I heard that the guy who bought it was big into skins and might own a gambling site in that case he probably makes millions off of people who think he is crazy for buying it but don't think they themselves are crazy for gambling their money into his hands.

Last edited:
I imagine there are some people who made out big in bit coin who never had much money before. Like many lottery winners they will probably soon be parted from their new found riches.

A skin for a sniper rifle in CS:GO has sold for $61,052.63. Why so much? Personally I have no idea, but I'll give you the item specifics. The skin is the "Dragon Lore" skin for the "AWP" sniper rifle. The skin itself ranks among the most expensive skins in the game, but this one is special. Over the weekend Cloud9 became the first North American team with win a CS:GO major tournament. This "Dragon Lore" skin is a "souvenir skin" which are only available from packages that drop during Valve sponsored tournaments, "Dragon Lore" being the rarest skin in the $30 "Cobblestone Collection" loot box. And finally, this particular "Dragon Lore" skin features an "autograph" of Tyler "Skadoodle" Latham, the MVP of the game where Cloud9 made it's mark.

It would be a hard choice. Do I pay off my house, or buy a digital weapon skin for a $15 game? I hate to sound extra snarky but this is a blatant example of more money than brains to me. The seller, nicknamed "Drone" said in an interview that he originally bought the skin for $35,000.

"We agreed on that price since that was the only price I was willing to accept," he explained. "Otherwise I would have kept it. I didn’t originally get into this game solely for profit," he says. "I just got very lucky a couple of times, and money is more valuable to different people. I’m very lucky in my financial state to where I can afford to buy these skins and it does not affect me."
wtf is wrong with people?!?

I've some pocket lint to sell this idiot.

I'm of the opinion that people can do whatever they like with their money. If you have money to burn on something that doesn't exist, that's cool. Do it if it makes you happy.

What I don't understand is how something like this is valued by ANYONE. I wouldn't pay $5 for it. I can think of at least sixty-thousand other things I'd rather spend sixty-thousand on than this. I won't say someone shouldn't do this if they like it that much. I will say how ridiculous it is from my own perspective. I own an $85 ship for a game that hasn't been released yet, and I still have no idea why this has any value. :D

I was once a huge CS addict, with probably 15,000 or more hours over the years starting with beta 4 of the original through Source. I ran some of the most popular servers on the eastern seaboard while in college from 1999-2003 and for a couple of years after until probablt about 2005, when the real world took over.

I was able to pull off getting an engineering/business double major with honors despite this, but I only think what I could have accomplished if I hadn't discovered Counter-Strike and beer...

There are many reasons I lost interest, including being an adult with too many responsibilities to get enough playtime to stay at the top of my game, and discovering other massive multiplayer war sims like the Red Orchestra series that drew my attention away from it.

Two big reasons - however - were the matchmaking and auto-joining of Valve operated servers and the emergence of skins.

Once matchmaking and valve servers hit, fewer and fewer people joined community servers, and to me, the CS experience was all about the community server. Sure, you can still run a community server, but very few people come play on them now that auto-joining a valve server is so easy.

And then skins hit. Playing on a casual server is just annoying now, with children mic-spamming non-stop about trading skins.

I just have no interest in that game anymore.

Last edited:
I do not understand the frivolous hate on CSGO skins. Have none of you ever bought something for fun because you wanted too?
Nope. At least nothing that was just a piece of art (game skins are simply just a piece of art). In fact, I have spent exactly $0 in my life on art, real or digital, of any kind.

I was once a huge CS addict, with probably 15,000 or more hours over the years starting with beta 4 of the original through Source. I ran some of the most popular servers on the eastern seaboard while in college from 1999-2003.

I was able to pull off getting an engineering/business double major with honors despite this, but I only think what I could have accomplished if I hadn't discovered Counter-Strike and beer...

There are many reasons I lost interest, including being an adult with too many responsibilities to get enough playtime to stay at the top of my game, and discovering other massive multiplayer war sims like the Red Orchestra series that drew my attention away from it.

Two big reasons - however - were the matchmaking and auto-joining of Valve operated servers and the emergence of skins.

Once matchmaking and valve servers hit, fewer and fewer people joined community servers, and to me, the CS experience was all about the community server. Sure, you can still run a community server, but very few people come play on them now that auto-joining a valve server is so easy.

And then skins hit. Playing on a casual server is just annoying now, with children mic-spamming non-stop about trading skins.

I just have no interest in that game anymore.

This is a little off topic but I see a lot of people say something like you, if I had done more with my life etc... But really how do you know that the gaming wasn't part of your success. Success in life is way more complicated than that. Take an obvious example lets say you are a busy person like Barrack Obama, you could argue that taking time out of your day to play basketball with friends is a waste of time. Keeping up on NCAA is a waste of time, picking a fantasy league is a waste of time. But at the end of the day lots of insanely successful people including Bill Gates have hobbies they do outside of work. And I would argue that the hobby is part of your mental health and stimulation that actually helped you become successful at work. Had you applied all that time just to being good at the work you do you might have actually just spent most of it doing things that didn't actually matter or would not have made you any more money. There are lots of cases of people who work way less than one would expect but are very good at what they do. I place CSGO here and there and I hang with decently high level player that play 10x as much as me. There is a point of diminishing returns. But then again I get out and do some exercise, and know that when I keep that up I do better at CS.

I will also point out that a lot of community servers were a cancer on gaming. Corrupt admins banning people who are better then them, whack rules, etc... Gaming as a whole had to have a refuge from that where good players could go and play hard without worrying that they would be banned for accusations of cheating, they needed a consistent user experience that admins at community servers were screwing up. For a lot of community servers it was more about the power trip the admins had than actually trying to make a good place to play, it was all about the admin trying to get as many servers playing the game with the rules they wanted and being able to help out their friends etc... I was a player who tended to play at a higher level in many games and I can not even begin to describe how mistreated I was by supposedly reputable server admins over the years. I think in one game I am banned from about 80% of the populated servers. The funny thing is in game I am very quiet, I largely just play, people accuse me of cheating I say no once and then keep playing. So I was never the type to just come in trolling and pissing people off. The funny thing is so many times if I played on a smurf account I would be banned for cheating and if I played on my main some admins would be kissing my ass defending me against accusations. All it did was point to how admins were not banning based on evidence they were banning based on emotion and power and control. People don't want to play in community servers because the community servers were really only great for a select group of people.

Used to play against Cloud9 back in the day. Nice to see they stuck with it.

idontwanttoliveonthisplanet.jpg

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole skin value in CS.

Back