Crytek Is Going Exclusively Free-to-Play

its because nobody will buy there games since crysis 2 was dumb down for console and console noobs cant handle it even dumbed down.

Good, glad PC gamers lose another triple A developer due to piracy. Hopefully more of the few left will follow.

Crysis 2, all I saw was PC gamers trashing it on forums for being too "consolized", but apparently they still wanted it enough to steal it because it was the most pirated game of 2011.

Good, glad PC gamers lose another triple A developer due to piracy. Hopefully more of the few left will follow.

Crysis 2, all I saw was PC gamers trashing it on forums for being too "consolized", but apparently they still wanted it enough to steal it because it was the most pirated game of 2011.

LOL and OMG I just cant believe you just posted that garbage. Due to piracy, piracy my damn ass.

Piracy had nothing to do with it. Let me clue you in on why and you even said why

all I saw was PC gamers trashing it on forums for being too "consolized"

Yet you want to bash PC players and label them pirates. You must be a console player.

If you take a good look around and check out all the games that has come out in the last 2 to 3 years, hell no go all the way back when CoD2 was released and that is when the CONSOLE bullshit started.

Dont go around blaming piracy and pc players when it was infact the publishers/devs trying to get some of that gravy train crap from the console players. Gravy train being dollar signs $$$$$ and that is all that they saw. All the games have been thumbed down and crippled because of this and to catter to the console crowd. How many games do you see out that gives the XBOX exclusive release's and DLC. XBOX gets first dibs on it then the rest gets it later.

As I have always said you put out a crap product then you get crap results. Do you actualy think that Crysis2 was worth the 60 dollar price tag. Hell you want to see a major publisher/dev and what they are now doing. Look at Valve, they have even jumped on the console gravy train.

Want no ads in-game, more servers etc? Sign up for the $4.99/mo service.
Even Quake Live ended up charging in the end. Bait and switch.

http://www.quakelive.com/#!premium

I rather pay upfront.
3/4 of quake population is still on F2P accounts, and they seem to be doing well. unless ofc you mind terribly 30sec of ads when you first join a server.

and its not P2W - free and prem have the same gameplay.

(yeah, i play quake)

LOL and OMG I just cant believe you just posted that garbage. Due to piracy, piracy my damn ass.

Piracy had nothing to do with it. Let me clue you in on why and you even said why

Yet you want to bash PC players and label them pirates. You must be a console player.

If you take a good look around and check out all the games that has come out in the last 2 to 3 years, hell no go all the way back when CoD2 was released and that is when the CONSOLE bullshit started.

Dont go around blaming piracy and pc players when it was infact the publishers/devs trying to get some of that gravy train crap from the console players. Gravy train being dollar signs $$$$$ and that is all that they saw. All the games have been thumbed down and crippled because of this and to catter to the console crowd. How many games do you see out that gives the XBOX exclusive release's and DLC. XBOX gets first dibs on it then the rest gets it later.

As I have always said you put out a crap product then you get crap results. Do you actualy think that Crysis2 was worth the 60 dollar price tag. Hell you want to see a major publisher/dev and what they are now doing. Look at Valve, they have even jumped on the console gravy train.

I bought my copies of Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, and Crysis 2 for PC. I just waited until Amazon had a good sale. I ended up with all three games for $20 bucks. I may be in the minority, but I like to pay for games and support the developers. I just have a hard time swallowing $60 for something I can get in 6 months to a year for $10 - $20 or ends up being a watered-down console-port. I think it is the pricing, though it does not have to be free, that is the issue at this point. It is the same reason why I don't go to movie theaters and wait to rent the DVD. $15 - $20 just to get in to see the movie in my area, then easily another $10 - $15 on popcorn, soda, etc (by the way, do they frisk people at other theaters because they do it around here to make sure that you are not smuggling candy, soda, etc into the theater and claim it is because they don't want people bringing weapons into the theater). I can rent the movie, make the kind of popcorn I like and have a selection of drinks I like on less than $10 for the whole family. The best part is I'm still watching the same movie!

I actually have multiple clients (PC game developers) that use the F2P model so maybe Ican add some perspective on why this might be a good thing (typing on a crappy phone, excuse.the errors).

First, understand that the model is evolving. We won't be seeing the Asian F2P model around much longer, US players don't accept pay-to-win the same way the Asian market does. What does that mean? You're going to see more AAA games using a LoL, TF2, Tribes ascend model. Give players 100% of your gameplay content and charge for individuality and convience (ie money = time).

This can be a pretty good trade if you think about it. What if every AAA game released this year was free to jump into and play? Developers have removed a huge barrier to entry (upfront cost) and players no longer need to gamble on their games. That's a win win.

Of course, this model can and will be abused. But, those that do it will drop off quickly because do you know what games become when they're free-to-play? A Service. That means developers are now competing on FUN and can lose pissed off players in an instant.

My favorite client is a group of guys and gals who're gamers themselves and are super genuin about making F2P work. They see the advantage for devs and players and are doing a LOT of community focused things to take advantage of the "service" factor. I think most of you will come around after playing the new wave of F2P. And if not, there will still be plenty of games that don't use it because the F2P model only works with certain types of games.

Anyways, just my.personal two cents coming from having many talks with these guys. Agree, disagree?

What fucking universe are you living in buddy?! I guess all those 360 and PS3 users also thought it was too consolized and pirated the shit out of Crysis 2 because....dun dun dun.....Crysis 2 sold roughly the same number of copies across ALL 3 PLATFORMS as Crysis 1 and Warhead sold on PC exclusively!

I guess Crysis 2 obviously was not as good as Yerli made it out to be :rolleyes:

F2P and always-on DRM kinda go together.

The start of a much bigger poison cocktail...

In other news: No one gives a fuck about Crytek.

Amen to that. Crytek has been trying so hard to be the coolest kid on the block, but they lack creativity and vision. They keep switching direction.

With the first FarCry it was about a new engine that did big open world environments. That was a only a mild success so then with crysis it was about a super modern slick shooter, and new engine tools.

But Unreal still crushes everyone in the game engine market, so now they're like "hey let's be #1 super awesome in F2P".

Even KimDotCom had a bit more focus than they do.

Free to play my ass!

F2P games have been the most expensive titles I've played.

Typically they start off great, but ultimately once you are hooked then they become increasingly difficult if not impossible to continue playing at advanced high levels without paying.

Worse yet, they tend to gravitate towards pay-to-win, selling essential combat advantage for real world currency.

So if you just want to tool around, no problemo. But if you are a competitive player, you like to compete, and you like to win, you end up spending a fortune.

I am interested to know how F2P will work on next gen consoles. Crytek owns the Timesplitters IP and I was hoping they would release a fourth game to the series. I would be disappointed if it comes out as a F2P game.

Horrible idea... not that I have anything against F2P, but they shouldn't exclude of other ways to do things.

Free to play is the future of online games unfortunately. Harder to get screwed by pirates. My only problem is that for the full game, the game usually costs more than $60 since you have to buy the weapons and other crap individually.

The problem with F2P is nobody does it right. Besides LoTRO and LoL i have never seen a F2P model worth a shit.

Now if its set up like LoL where you can truly play for free without ever being at a disadvantage it will rock. If its like other games where essential shit is locked in a cash shop it will suck.

Everyone knocks the idea but the reality is F2P is not evil its stupid publishers etc. that ruin it. Make a F2P FPS where you can earn unlocks or choose to pony up $$$ to get them early and you have yourself a winner.

Free 2 play sucks. They always seemed half-assed as if all the developer cares about is you paying $5 for stupid in-game crap.

This can be a pretty good trade if you think about it. What if every AAA game released this year was free to jump into and play? Developers have removed a huge barrier to entry (upfront cost) and players no longer need to gamble on their games. That's a win win.

AAA games used to have demos... That was a win-win.

Back