• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crystal Method DVD Audio...ROCKS!

BBA

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
5,382
The Crystal Method: Legion of Boom

So far I have been disapointed in most every one of the DVD Audio disks I have, mostly because they usually only have whacked out version of the songs you like and sound like crap...but not this one...it's great.

This is the first DVD Audio I have bought that I liked from the first track on. They do really good 6.1 discrete mixing on this.

It was at Best Buy for $16.
 
I always hesitate to buy DVD-Audio discs because I'm still not convinved the format will survive and I don't want to invest too heavily in it. On the other hand, they sound really good. May have to check this one out :)
 
I have a few DVDAs around here. My favorite so far is Beck's Sea Change. It sounds better than the CD version, just wish there was a good way to rip it :D
 
saturnine2 said:
I have a few DVDAs around here. My favorite so far is Beck's Sea Change. It sounds better than the CD version, just wish there was a good way to rip it :D

AC3?
 
Because you can rip the DVD-video portion, demux it, decode the AC3 audio track, and do with it what you will (make MP3s, burn a CD, whatever).

The DVD-Audio portion uses Meridian Lossless Packing which I think has still not been cracked yet (not because it's uncrackable, but I doubt there has been a lot of interest and attention in doing so).
 
I have a handful of DVD-A discs that are awesome. The Carl Orff Carmina Burana is great, as in Linkin Park Reanimation, and Buena Vista Social Club. I have Mahler Symphony #2 which is good, but not the best mix, and Metallica's Black album that while it is a great album, didn't seem to benefit from the DVD-A transfer that much.
 
BBA said:
The Crystal Method: Legion of Boom

So far I have been disapointed in most every one of the DVD Audio disks I have, mostly because they usually only have whacked out version of the songs you like and sound like crap...but not this one...it's great.

This is the first DVD Audio I have bought that I liked from the first track on. They do really good 6.1 discrete mixing on this.

It was at Best Buy for $16.

I'm not a 100% sure but I think DVD Audio is 5.1, not 6.1 there are DTS disks as well. I have a few like Hotel California, Machinehead and on DTS, Sting. Hearing DTS's 24/96KHz Stereo from the DTS disc, even on a Mid-Fi rig like my Pioneer 5.1 Receiver is sweet! Surround is nice but this must be heard to be believed.

These discs are worth every penny IMHO.

X-Fi and Audigy 2/ 2ZS and etc... can make pretty good 5.1 24bit/96KHz WAV files. Even the much bitched about Creative Media Player can do it. But bit for bit would kick ass.

Donnie27
 
Elec said:
Because you can rip the DVD-video portion, demux it, decode the AC3 audio track, and do with it what you will (make MP3s, burn a CD, whatever).

The DVD-Audio portion uses Meridian Lossless Packing which I think has still not been cracked yet (not because it's uncrackable, but I doubt there has been a lot of interest and attention in doing so).

The MLP version of DVD Audio is also recorded at a much higher rate than the tracks from DVD Video disks. No matter what's done to DVD-V's sound, it will not sound as good or even in the same ballpark as DVD-Audio.

Donnie27
 
Never said it would. But if you happen to buy a DVD-Audio disc for home use and would like to say, listen to the music in the car (and happen to not own an Acura TL) without also buying the CD version of the album, the method I described is a fair workaround and answer to hek1's question.
 
If anyone can get the most out of the DVD-A format... it's Crystal Method.. I have a video of them using an old reel to reel to sample from and feeding the output through numerous effects processors to create something crazy sounding. I would also recommend DTS release of LTJ Bukem: Planet Earth if you like drum & bass. It looks like BT also has a release on DTS.

I remember seeing BT open up for Crystal Method at a small club (300 or so people) in Houston... before they blew up too much commercially. Both of them were pretty amazing. It's nice to see a live P.A. once in a while.. and to see 2 of them, back to back, was nuts.
 
Elec said:
Because you can rip the DVD-video portion, demux it, decode the AC3 audio track, and do with it what you will (make MP3s, burn a CD, whatever).

The DVD-Audio portion uses Meridian Lossless Packing which I think has still not been cracked yet (not because it's uncrackable, but I doubt there has been a lot of interest and attention in doing so).


You talking about ripping the DVD-Video stream. DVD Audio is a completely different format. Most DVD Audios are 5.1 track 96KHz 24 bit and stereo 192 KHz 24 bit plus some also include a DVD-Video (AC3) track as well.

This DVD Audio has 5.1 and 6.1 channel tracks at 48KHz/24Bit and it has the standard PCM stereo 48KHz 16 bit tracks as well.

Ripping the AC3 track is possible but you are back to dolby digital sound quality if you do that.

Currently there is no ripper that will rip DVD-Audio, they havent broken the encryption keys scheme yet.
 
BBA said:
You talking about ripping the DVD-Video stream. DVD Audio is a completely different format. Most DVD Audios are 5.1 track 96KHz 24 bit and stereo 192 KHz 24 bit plus some also include a DVD-Video (AC3) track as well.

This DVD Audio has 5.1 and 6.1 channel tracks at 48KHz/24Bit and it has the standard PCM stereo 48KHz 16 bit tracks as well.

Ripping the AC3 track is possible but you are back to dolby digital sound quality if you do that.

Currently there is no ripper that will rip DVD-Audio, they havent broken the encryption keys scheme yet.

Supposedly the SB X-Fi can record at DVD-audio levels though... so get a DVD-A DVD player, stick the disc in, hook the multichannel outputs to the multichannel in of the X-Fi, and record away
 
BBA said:
You talking about ripping the DVD-Video stream. DVD Audio is a completely different format. Most DVD Audios are 5.1 track 96KHz 24 bit and stereo 192 KHz 24 bit plus some also include a DVD-Video (AC3) track as well.

This DVD Audio has 5.1 and 6.1 channel tracks at 48KHz/24Bit and it has the standard PCM stereo 48KHz 16 bit tracks as well.

Ripping the AC3 track is possible but you are back to dolby digital sound quality if you do that.

Currently there is no ripper that will rip DVD-Audio, they havent broken the encryption keys scheme yet.

:rolleyes:

I know, I own a few DVD-A discs. I thought I was being clear about this but I guess not. As we have now both said, MLP has not been cracked and so you can't directly rip the HQ tracks. If you want to rip the audio for whatever purpose, you can either do a straight analog record at 1x (playback) speed and whatever quality your sound card is capable of. Or you can rip the DVD-Video layer, demux the AC3 audio track, decode it, and do whatever. Which answers hek1's question: "Why AC3?" You can't get a full quality rip. But if you just want a "rip" of the audio so you can make MP3s or a CD for the car or something, it can be done.
 
Just tried the DVD Audio Extractor, thanks for the link but that's not exactly what we want.

It does not extract the DVD-Audio content from the AUDIO_TS folder.
It does extract the AC3 and DTS content from the VIDEO_TS folder.
 
ahha my bad, it was late and I happened across it before I tried it :(

ah well some day :)
 
Back
Top