Crysis3 no dx10.

455olds

Gawd
I thought dx11 was backwards compatible. They should have made the game playable on dx10 cards if they can make it run on console hardware.
About 6 years from when 8800gt was released. I think this is the first game it cant play.(or maybe not due to ram) Maybe longest lifespan of a video card yet.

I sort of agree. there are lots of people with 8800gt and faster DX10 cards than can easily play on lower settings if available in DX10.

and maybe I am blind but I don't even see requirements listed for the game on EA store or site.

You have a 8800 gt and your bitching about not being able to run crysis 3? WTF is this 2007? Your card is 6 years old.

I think the feedback stems from OP complaining about not being able to play a 2013 game with a 2007 videocard.
while I certainly agree he should upgrade its not like the 8800gt cant play Crysis 2. and also I was saying earlier that there are some decent DX10 cards still out there so completely eliminating DX10 option seems odd. a gtx285 through gtx260 are faster than some DX11 cards that some people will be playing the game on.

while I certainly agree he should upgrade its not like the 8800gt cant play Crysis 2. and also I was saying earlier that there are some decent DX10 cards still out there so completely eliminating DX10 option seems odd. a gtx285 through gtx260 are faster than some DX11 cards that some people will be playing the game on.

I agree. But at some point -- if you are the type that wants to play Crysis 3, or any modern game you can't really bitch about performance if you are running a set up that is that old. I was on a 460 for years, I knew what I had, I wasn't upset I couldn't run modern games at higher settings (as I understood the system I had)

well the good thing is that op has an otherwise high end pc so all he needs to do is retire the 8800gt and get a modern gpu.

You have a 8800 gt and your bitching about not being able to run crysis 3? WTF is this 2007? Your card is 6 years old.

You are older than 6 years and less bright and slower than when you were 6 years ago. I am pretty sure that 8800GT has aged way better than you did, so if you are allowed to play the game and nobody is bitching, why should the 8800GT be left out?

If Crytek did a DX10 path, people would complain that they're not adequately advancing the state of the art. When Crytek doesn't do a DX10 path, people complain about not being able to play with their very old graphics cards.

It's a no-win scenario.

If Crytek did a DX10 path, people would complain that they're not adequately advancing the state of the art. When Crytek doesn't do a DX10 path, people complain about not being able to play with their very old graphics cards.

It's a no-win scenario.

This.

It's a no-win scenario.

No?

What a post full of fallacies...

The DirectX 11 API is a direct SUPERSET of DirectX 10.1... it's basically DirectX 10.1 with tessellation and shader model 5 slapped on, with some multithreaded improvements (which are also available on DX9/10). It is actually designed very easy to be backwards compatible with DX10 hardware.

The only no-win scenario here is you posting derp and someone coming away form your post thinking its fact and spreading it around himself (looks like you got one bite already).

So what you're saying is, DX10.1 is DX11 minus all the things that make DX11, DX11. LoL.

Intradesting. :|

So what you're saying is, DX10.1 is DX11 minus all the things that make DX11, DX11. LoL.

Intradesting. :|

Yep, excellent deduction skills, professor.

But since you don't seem to fully comprehend the issue, the same does not apply for DX9 vs DX10. I'd elaborate, but I think it's time you learn to google things you don't understand. LoL.

[edit]
I think next time I'm just going to go with this:

o8l8neB.jpg

Last edited:
My ati 9800 pro and geforce 4 cant run cysis 3 either...

I never used direct x 10 I went straight to 11.

Last edited:
Crysis 3 is meant to sell "new" video cards.
With the AMD bundle and Nv Titan, people will buy more HP to run the game.

Besides, why would you want a water down experience with DX10?
For PC, you want to maximize your experience.

Last edited:
You are older than 6 years and less bright and slower than when you were 6 years ago. I am pretty sure that 8800GT has aged way better than you did, so if you are allowed to play the game and nobody is bitching, why should the 8800GT be left out?

Huh?:confused:

Games don't push highend graphics enough...

Games push highend graphics too much...

The DirectX 11 API is a direct SUPERSET of DirectX 10.1... it's basically DirectX 10.1 with tessellation and shader model 5 slapped on, with some multithreaded improvements (which are also available on DX9/10). It is actually designed very easy to be backwards compatible with DX10 hardware.

The only no-win scenario here is you posting derp and someone coming away form your post thinking its fact and spreading it around himself (looks like you got one bite already).

This guy is correct. It's a shame how quickly people latch onto misinformation when it agrees with their own misconceptions of how things work.

featurelevels.png

DirectX11 is indeed a superset of DirectX10. Compatibility is as simple as shedding the features that are unsupported. This is accomplished via "Feature Levels". For example, a 4870 would play a DirectX11 game using DirectX11, Feature Level 10.1. At this feature level you would be using Shader Model 4.1, no Tessellation, etc. This is a feature that will be with us for a while. Users playing a DirectX11.1 game on 11.0 hardware, for example, would be using DirectX 11.1, Feature Level 11.0.

It really makes it trivial to support older hardware. It is something the devs have to enable, but prior to this the only "game" I knew of that wasn't playable on DX10 class hardware was 3dmark11, which makes sense because the scores wouldn't be "fair" if people could benchmark at different feature levels.

There are many games that have been released with a separate DX9 executable. This is done for Windows XP support (where you are stuck with DX9 no matter what card you have), and actually has nothing to do with compatibility with older hardware, as the devs could enable DX9 hardware support via feature levels instead if they wanted.

I find it a bit funny that this game is also being designed to work on an XBox360 and a PS3, as obviously neither of those consoles have DX11, or even DX10. It means there is no reason they couldn't bring support on the PC all the way down to DX9 also.

While many DX10-era cards are now pretty slow, especially for running newer games, that isn't always the case. Up until about a year ago I was running 2x 4870x2 in quad crossfire in my main rig, and it performed great all the way up until the end. When I upgraded to a GTX680, I ended up getting a 2nd pretty soon afterwards because a single GTX680 in many cases wasn't even faster than the 4 4870 GPUs were in Crossfire before. The cards are still operational in my 2nd computer and still very fast with any game I run on there... just apparently not Crysis 3...

vgpu.jpg

2x 4870x2 (DX10.1)
Too slow for modern games? (Comparison Scores)

DX11 (Left) vs DX10.1 (Right)
dx11.png
dx10.png

Last edited:
I'm not arguing any of this. A DX10 path is achievable in a DX11 renderer via feature level exposition (but it's not fully backwards-compatible in terms of adapter initialization). That's obvious. It doesn't change the fact that people will flip out if there's a DX10 path available. Most people don't know about feature levels and don't know that you can use SM4.0 in D3D11 — they see whatever isn't "DX11" and they flip out. It's happened before; it'll happen again.

The only no-win scenario here is you posting derp and someone coming away form your post thinking its fact and spreading it around himself
People are free to act of their own accord, just as you've done here. Doesn't matter to me; doesn't (or rather, shouldn't) matter to you.

This guy is correct. It's a shame how quickly people latch onto misinformation when it agrees with their own misconceptions of how things work.
There was no misinformation.

It's a no-win scenario.

I agree with this 100% .this is Crytek and Crysis we are talking about. Its supposed to push brand new systems to their limits and generations to come. Not cater to older generations.

I think what people are saying is that they easily could have supported both, yet they didn't for some unknown reason. You made it sound like they could either do one or the other and people would be pissed either way.

I think what people are saying is that they easily could have supported both, yet they didn't for some unknown reason. You made it sound like they could either do one or the other and people would be pissed either way.

For a DX11 game to really shine, it has to be exclusively made with DX11 from the start.

CE3 scales to each platform, but this time, Crytek "started" with DX11 features, instead of patching them in later.
Now if Crytek started with DX11 on the PC, now they should remove it?

Crysis 3 would be Crysis 2 all over again if they considered anything less than DX11.

If we were talking about Starcraft or WoW or something I'd agree but this is Crysis we're talking about. It's supposed to melt your high-end DX11 PC which it seems to be doing quite well based on the other Crysis threads. Even if it did run on an 8800GT it would be CoD at that point. Frankly this game kinda sucks the only reason to play it is to oogle at how good it looks.

I don't own a 8800gt. I was just commenting on the lifespan of computer hardware. I used that card for example because it was good for a long time.
Wounder if its just Crysis that will need dx11 or if other games will be requiring dx11 any time soon.

I'm not arguing any of this. A DX10 path is achievable in a DX11 renderer via feature level exposition (but it's not fully backwards-compatible in terms of adapter initialization). That's obvious. It doesn't change the fact that people will flip out if there's a DX10 path available. Most people don't know about feature levels and don't know that you can use SM4.0 in D3D11 — they see whatever isn't "DX11" and they flip out. It's happened before; it'll happen again.

People are free to act of their own accord, just as you've done here. Doesn't matter to me; doesn't (or rather, shouldn't) matter to you.

Another post of complete BS... talking about initialization.. you have no clue what you're talking about. Take it from someone who codes in the APIs on a daily basis.

Having DX11 means you do have a DX10 path, because they are one in the same aside from a few changes, it would take no time at all to have a 10.1 "path" running for Crysis 3.

Nice attempt at backing away from your 'argument' and trying to make your original post what it wasn't... you're full of shit

If you're writing Direct3D device creation code on a daily basis, I have to wonder what you're not doing when you're pounding that nail every day.

You don't have a DX10 path until you specifically create a device with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0. It's not automatic: it doesn't just fall back without you doing it, and you can't just go through and execute your SM5.0 shader bytecode on your D3D10 device. In the context of an actual shipping product, juggling the complexities of working with feature levels is not something you can do by flipping a few switches and changing a function parameter or two. It would be if you had no DX11-specific features at all, but obviously that's not the case with Crysis 3.

I agree. But at some point -- if you are the type that wants to play Crysis 3, or any modern game you can't really bitch about performance if you are running a set up that is that old. I was on a 460 for years, I knew what I had, I wasn't upset I couldn't run modern games at higher settings (as I understood the system I had)

I'd say that's a poor comparison. Your 460 is still able to run the game. The 8800 definitely has the power to run the game albeit at low settings,but 8800 owners won't be able to play the game while even people with scrawny intel GMA graphics will.

For a DX11 game to really shine, it has to be exclusively made with DX11 from the start.

CE3 scales to each platform, but this time, Crytek "started" with DX11 features, instead of patching them in later.
Now if Crytek started with DX11 on the PC, now they should remove it?

Crysis 3 would be Crysis 2 all over again if they considered anything less than DX11.

Well the XBox uses DirectX 9, so your argument is kinda invalid... http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/xbox-360-cant-run-directx-10-confirms-ati/

I would rather have it optimized for whatever is best right now, then have a patched version.
So some people will have to buy a newer card.

I want software to go forward, need more cpu(cores) and gpu power.

Yep, excellent deduction skills, professor.

But since you don't seem to fully comprehend the issue, the same does not apply for DX9 vs DX10. I'd elaborate, but I think it's time you learn to google things you don't understand. LoL.

Relax chief I was just winding you up. :p

Bottom line , your 6 year old GPU is 6 years old.

Crytek isn't well known for supporting old hardware or supporting anything (including their own games).

Considering that you've gotten 6 years out of your 8800GT , perhaps its time to consider an upgrade. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade for practically nothing and it will beat the pants off your grandfather GPU and support Direct x 11.

Then again if your 8800GT is AGP , you'll need a full system upgrade and if you are wanting to play Crysis on the PC then that's what you'll have to do.

Bottom line , your 6 year old GPU is 6 years old.

Crytek isn't well known for supporting old hardware or supporting anything (including their own games).

Considering that you've gotten 6 years out of your 8800GT , perhaps its time to consider an upgrade. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade for practically nothing and it will beat the pants off your grandfather GPU and support Direct x 11.

Then again if your 8800GT is AGP , you'll need a full system upgrade and if you are wanting to play Crysis on the PC then that's what you'll have to do.
no such thing as an agp 8800gt.

Back