Crysis patch 'full update' today...?

Kowan

Supreme [H]ardness
Crysis patch 'full update' today
Crytek's Crysis PR Manager, Zyad Tikanouine, told Gaming Target via e-mail that the long awaited first patch for Crysis will be released today, or at least news about the impending patch. It was originally supposed to be a day zero release (meaning it would ship with the game), but has stayed in the QA testing phase far longer than expected.

Tikanouine's e-mail is appreciated, but vague in that it doesn't tell us if the patch or news about the patch will be posted today. Either way, we will get something Crysis patch-releated soon.

Hi Patrick,
a full update will be released on our community board today. Check it out.

Cheers,

Zyad Tikanouine
Product PR Manager
This is the type of timely response you get when beginning your e-mail to Crytek in German: Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren.

According to previous reports, the patch will mainly focusing on performance improvements for the power-hungry game. For those interested, be sure to spam refresh Crysis' community board to be one of the first to grab the patch or find out when it's coming.

i hope so

also i hope they make it so people can take advantage of quad cores like i have been reading crysis is suppose to support at some point

Well, that's good news. It's certainly coming far later than we were told it would, but a good patch is a good patch just the same.

...hopefully it's a good patch.

Sorry to raise hopes. I should have looked here first. :(
Crysis Patch Update = Delayed
Patch #1 – Scheduled Release
Based on this feedback we will be able to set a release date for the long awaited Patch #1 for Crysis. If no major problems occur we expect to have it available for public download within January 2008. This is of course related to the reports from the QA departments, but we are confident to match the schedule.

that's complete rubbish if you ask me. What the F? Call of Duty 4 is already on their 3rd patch and Crysis can't come out with their first until Jan of 08?

Come on.

Damn has it only been one "week" since the announcement by Hector Ruiz? I'll guess another "week" of waiting will get us to mid-January.

Great so what i feared then :( so now it can come out anywhere during Januari.. awesome just awesome work crytek.

:mad:

that's complete rubbish if you ask me. What the F? Call of Duty 4 is already on their 3rd patch and Crysis can't come out with their first until Jan of 08?

Come on.

Not to mention that the patches aren't even needed. They fix some superficial and rare issues such as a lean glitch, and add a map.

Do these delays really shock anyone? Does anyone remember the history of Crysis? I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many delays this game has had in its development...

I'd be surprised if they came out with a patch at all.

Its an EA game are you guys really suprised??? EA games do have patches and they are called sequals or expansion packs. Crysis 2 will be the patch. Just like EA to charge for a game that is broken and not update it in a quick enough time frame for the people that bought the hardware to run it.

Do these delays really shock anyone? Does anyone remember the history of Crysis? I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many delays this game has had in its development...

I'd be surprised if they came out with a patch at all.

What delays would those be? :confused:

They never missed a stated release date for the actual launch of the game or anything along those lines.

Even the demos were released on track (multi and single).

What delays would those be? :confused:

They never missed a stated release date for the actual launch of the game or anything along those lines.

Even the demos were released on track (multi and single).

The demo was delayed actually. It was upposed to be out in September, but It was only released in October.

I never heard Cevat saying that the patch would be released 1-2 weeks after the full game's release, but if he did, these are bad news no doubt.
It's starting to look like Bioshock and its 3.5 months later patch release...

I never heard Cevat saying that the patch would be released 1-2 weeks after the full game's release, but if he did, these are bad news no doubt.
It's starting to look like Bioshock and its 3.5 months later patch release...

"Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli revealed the first patch for its recently released visually intense shooter Crysis would be coming within 14 days."
-Source

He said it would be out within two weeks after launch. One month later and we find out it's coming in January. Crytek makes me sad. :(

If those who made the engine are taking this long for a patch, can you imagine those who purchase the engine to make a up and coming game?

Its an EA game are you guys really suprised??? EA games do have patches and they are called sequals or expansion packs. Crysis 2 will be the patch. Just like EA to charge for a game that is broken and not update it in a quick enough time frame for the people that bought the hardware to run it.

Your thinking of an EA DEVELOPED game, Crysis is an EA PUBLISHED game.

Big difference. The Orange Box was published by EA, developed by valve and it's already had a couple of updates...

More than a couple. I think Portal alone has been updated more than 10 times already, but it's not quite a realistic comparison. Valve's able to issue small, frequent patches via Steam, whereas EA's/Crytek's goal is to do a couple more substantial ones.

Valve's also one of the most independent developers around, so that always helps.

"Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli revealed the first patch for its recently released visually intense shooter Crysis would be coming within 14 days."
-Source

He said it would be out within two weeks after launch. One month later and we find out it's coming in January. Crytek makes me sad. :(

Well, they could have released the patch back then, but it would have had major technical issues, and I don't think anybody wants that.

I think Portal alone has been updated more than 10 times already, but it's not quite a realistic comparison. Valve's able to issue small, frequent patches via Steam, whereas EA's/Crytek's goal is to do a couple more substantial ones.

Valve's also one of the most independent developers around, so that always helps.

I think the biggest difference is that Portal uses an already stable, tested, patched engine in Source that's been out for a looooong time.

If simple things were all that the patch addressed, it'd be out by now...

also if the game was fine and perfect the way it was, there'd be no need nor acknowledgment of a need for a major patch...

I'm thinking next gen hardware will be out before Crysis is "patched" to run well.

If those who made the engine are taking this long for a patch, can you imagine those who purchase the engine to make a up and coming game?
I suspect that they get their updates a lot sooner, i.e. Crytek will provide them with the latest build before it's gone through rigorous QA testing. Plus, developers can make their own changes, so they're not necessarily stuck waiting for Crytek to resolve something.

Your thinking of an EA DEVELOPED game, Crysis is an EA PUBLISHED game.

Big difference.
Depends on where the money's coming from. Valve is self-funded, so it's their call. But most developers are financed by publishers, and they can only keep working on the game post-release if they've got someone to pay for it. Don't know what Crytek's situation is, though - I think Far Cry did alright, but Ubisoft owns the engine and the IP, so it seems unlikely that they came out of it with enough to fund another project.

Really cannot wait for the patch- SLI performance is just absolutely abysmal atm. Probably going to just use the second card for AA (that's pretty much what I've ended-up doing in most of the games in my library; for almost all of those, it's no sweat b/c a single 8800GTS can already take them very easily w/out AA, but Crysis is quite obviously different; I was hoping Crytek would have the patch out by the time Vista x64 arrives at my house, but I doubt that will happen anymore).

For those that haven't bought the game yet it could be frustrating. For those of us that spent the $50 and the ~6 hours in the SP campaign, it's just a footnote.

Even it were patched with full SLI/Crossfire DX10 support, I doubt I'd have any interest in playing it again for more than a few minutes.

I'll likely dust it off in 2009 when the R700/G100's refreshes are out, with one or two or more of them along with a fast 45nm multi-core CPU in my rig, just to laugh.

Yeah, too little too late for this game sadly. It has great promise to be something, but so few people play the game online. The main problem with that is a large influx of hackers. Crytek plans to address that issue in the second patch... The first patch is just performance increases (supposedly) and a few small multi-player tweaks, of which is just around 5 out of around 20-25 that need addressing.

I just got finished uninstalling the damn thing, they're just too slow. They built the engine and now they're at the mercy of their own massive creation, that's why it's probably difficult to patch it. The patch process will follow the same shit from the development cycle. Naturally this doesn't help the struggling PC gaming, good thing I've got me Wii. COD4 looks fun, but I don't know if I like the aiming/shooting style or type, not to mention that bullet damage is a little too realistic for my liking.

-Source

Exactly. This is fricken poor, and it pees me off. If you're going to set a fricken date, make it on time.

They drop about 50 points in my book because of this. I can't stand crap like this.

It's an EA shooter, it doesn't surprise me. Whether it's Dice or Crytek, we the gamers, are paying to be beta testers for them. I don't think Crysis was as buggy as almost all of the Battlefield series was, but it is horrendously slow and definitely not as bug free as COD4 or even Doom 3 was.

I may revisit the game and see if I can actually run it smoothly after the patch, but the only fun I get out of the game now is playing in god mode and blowing stuff up.

I think I've replayed COD4 Modern Warfare about 4 times now and will probably play it more, now that's a good game! I actually haven't patched mine at all and haven't had one issue with it.

It's one thing to patch minor details within the first month, it's another when the patch can make or break a game's performance for the majority.

It only further cements it that this game was rushed out by the publisher despite the obvious need for improvement within areas that really affect the whole gameplay experience. Just looking at the sales numbers seems to go along with that fact, most people were deterred by the poor performance of the game. If the game came out and performed reasonably well, a good amount of people would have bought it to experience the next gen of gaming interactivity.

There really is no doubt that EA rushes its developers- Crytek cut out large portions and many features of Crysis just to make the November release date. Quite obviously, they also did not get the performance to where they wanted it either. However, at the present point, I would much rather have the patch come in January and actually do what it needs to do and fix what it needs to fix than have it come now and just fail.

Crytek, you killed your child. Now go bury it with these delayed patches.

~Ibrahim~

This patch would have zero to limited value for me since I have already finished the game and moved on.

A very sad truth :( EA's patch is next years paid version.

I can't believe there isn't a patch for Tiger Woods 2008 yet, and I doubt there ever will be

When an EA disc says "Golden Master", they ain't kidding!

Just to answer Kyle's question in the headline, no I don't give a damn. Lucky for me by the time I can afford to upgrade my PC to run this game, it'll be a $20 bargain bin title with most of the bugs and "poor-formance" issues patched up. :D

After BF2, I decided to NEVER buy an EA game again until they stopped peddling us alpha/beta quality software.

What the **** kind of game has a bug where enemies show up as your friends, and friends show up as your enemies? And to top it off, I NEVER SAW THE BUG FIXED.

Eventually, my CD key just randomly died, and I was unable to play the game I paid for. After that, I decided that i will never *purchase* an EA game again, well, at least until they stop releasing shitty code.

There's plenty of other companies that get my money, but EA is a company that will NEVER see it, and I don't care if EA isn't the developer and it's just the publisher. Shitty code follows EA around where ever it goes.

Being published by EA is like being diagnosed with cancer. It's just going to be a slow painful death, full of disappointments and being pissed off.

-Source

I dont see what the big deal is ? There are other titles out to play,so really who cares ?

I dont see what the big deal is ? There are other titles out to play,so really who cares ?

B/c Crysis has some of the best freeform, tactical FPS gameplay around, and I doubt there is anyone here who would not love to be able to play Crysis on Very High settings (regardless of whether or not you like the game), and with the increased SLI support and increased performance of this patch, that should be doable for many such as myself.

I don't think the performance problems are entirely Crytek's fault. The game has been in development for years, and if ATI & Nvidia had maintained their development pace we would have had the 9800GTX in time for Crysis.

I question some of the trade offs they made in their predefined graphic quality levels. The game can look great and run well on an oc'd e6600/gtx, but you have to edit the config files. I also question the names they used. In the US we don't have small, medium, and large anymore. We still sell the same sizes, but they're called large, jumbo, and super size. Nobody wants their new computer to run on Low or even Medium... even if the graphics in Crysis low beat Unreal in high... it doesn't matter... it's all in the name.

They probably should have clipped the graphic options so the highest settings were still playable on current hardware and renamed the options to something more palatable, like Normal, High, and Very High. I like that they gave us the option for Very High because it's still usable with some trade offs, but it would have saved them some grief. It's not that Crysis doesn't run well on current hardware, it just doesn't run well with all the options on.

My point being that they need to do a better job managing expectations. Don't commit to a time frame on a patch if you can't deliver. Don't give people the option to run settings that no hardware is capable of running. They should be focusing on bug fixes within the game. Performance is what is and when Nvidia gets done sand bagging, we'll have hardware that can run Crysis the way it was meant to be played.

Back