crysis, machine power off...

Xenozx

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
2,127
OK, so I decided to pick up crysis, and ahve been playing. Its running smooth, and I can usually get about 10-30 minutes in before my PC will just power off. No BSOD, no restart, no error message, just a strait up instant power off. I can hit the power button and it will turn back on, but if I try the game again, after about 10-30 it will jsut power off again. I can play COD4, and UT2k4, with no problems like this, just crysis. Any Idea what would cause a power off?

my PC is hooked to a battery backup (1500va) and is the only thing on it, so I know power isnt the problem.
 
check your temps, could be shutting off to protect against over heat.
 
OK, so I decided to pick up crysis, and ahve been playing. Its running smooth, and I can usually get about 10-30 minutes in before my PC will just power off. No BSOD, no restart, no error message, just a strait up instant power off. I can hit the power button and it will turn back on, but if I try the game again, after about 10-30 it will jsut power off again. I can play COD4, and UT2k4, with no problems like this, just crysis. Any Idea what would cause a power off?

my PC is hooked to a battery backup (1500va) and is the only thing on it, so I know power isnt the problem.

Sounds like your config is trying guzzle down more power than the PSU can give. Try removing one 8800GTX and then see what happens.
 
I checked temps, CPU never goes over 49c.

My PSU, even though it says its 750w, is 720w to the 12v rails, and 72 amps. and 180w for everything else, so its like a 950w PSU.

I only have 2 GTX's, and I know they suck more power then any other card, but I didnt think they would suck anywhere near 700w. Also, my battery backup is a 800w battery backup, and I have it set to audible alarm if it gets up to 90%, its defiantely isnt getting anywhere close, I have seen 70ish, but no higher.

I lowered my overclock on my 2 GTX's a bit and got to play longer then usual. Instead of a power off, after a cut scene I just got an error, which is way better. Think I need to patch it. Its late tho, and I got work in the morning so I will do more testing tomororw :)

thanks for the replys tho.
 
Maybe its one of the cards. Try them each separately?

If backing down of a higher OC than the GPU can take then we found the problem the GPU's can't perform at that high of a frequency.

Put it down to stock; you won't lose anything. (Except E-peen like that means anything over the net. ;) )
 
Your PSU, UPS or a graphics card may have a fault.
Its easy to test the UPS, try plugging directly into the mains.
Verify each graphics card for temperature issues and to see if your problem manifests with one but not the other.

Check the motherboard chipset temps, and make sure there is decent airflow to the voltage regulators on the graphics cards and the motherboard.

ps a 750W PSU is a 750W or less PSU, it is not a 950W PSU no matter how you want to cook the numbers.
 
I'm still thinking it's your PSU, I'd try the advice of the above posts of removing one card.
 
does it ONLY shut off during Crysis? it won't happen if it's just your OS running? If so, sounds like overheating like all the others said. Could be your PSU as well. And yes, remove one card to see if it happens.
 
I would also take out the UPS for an hour or so, how old is it? is the battery failry new? what's the manufacturer, someone good like Liebert?
 
1500va UPS can only deliver approx 900watts at peak. If you are pulling that continuously from that little UPS, that could certainly be your problem, but I sure would think that if the UPS tripped, you would have to manually push a reset button, maybe not though, I don't own a Belkin myself.
 
I had problems running Cysis and having wierd issues too. My Vcore was at 1.45 and I raised it to 1.5, issues gone:)
 
Back
Top