Crysis Engine Real VS. Game

laxmiddi44

Gawd
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
863
Can you tell the difference? Of course you can. They're labeled.
comparison018mx4df.jpg
 
I expect it to look massively different by the time it launches, kind've like Oblivion did. But if it stays that way... dayuumm.
 
That is absolutely incredible

A few things which you can tell still make the Crysis image look like a game.

On the top right corner screenshot look at the foam of the waves, color saturation and detail of the water compared to the real world. Also the mountains stand out looking more "cartoony" on the Crysis shot compared to the real world.

On the bottom shot the big one here is the grass, big difference in the grass. They trees though look very close, just some subtle detail differences. What is spot on is the lighting, incredible! Though look into the distance, in the real world mountains are very detailed, they don't decrease LOD or detail, while in a game they do to save performance.

Overall though I am extremely impressed, this is as close to the real world as any game has come! Here is to hoping it really does look like that when it is released, if it does, WOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW.

Might I ask where you got this comparison image?
 
the only thing that really isn't that impressive with those shots is the fact that the shadows are still practically jet black dark, i wish they could pitch them to the point where shadows arent always going to completely hide what they are covering :(
 
Yeah, that's true. One of the worse case of the jet black shadow is in FEAR IMO. The shadows in that game pretty covered everything.
 
Brent_Justice said:
That is absolutely incredible

A few things which you can tell still make the Crysis image look like a game.

On the top right corner screenshot look at the foam of the waves, color saturation and detail of the water compared to the real world. Also the mountains stand out looking more "cartoony" on the Crysis shot compared to the real world.

On the bottom shot the big one here is the grass, big difference in the grass. They trees though look very close, just some subtle detail differences. What is spot on is the lighting, incredible! Though look into the distance, in the real world mountains are very detailed, they don't decrease LOD or detail, while in a game they do to save performance.

Overall though I am extremely impressed, this is as close to the real world as any game has come! Here is to hoping it really does look like that when it is released, if it does, WOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW.

Might I ask where you got this comparison image?

i got it from digg, im not sure where the person got it

http://digg.com/gaming/AMAZING_Comparison_Between_Real-Life_and_the_CRYSIS_Engine
 
even with the black they are sooo realistic i couldnt tell the difference if you switched the two around
 
Just think, we were all playing Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on Apple II not too long ago. Things sure have come a long way.
 
Trimlock said:
the only thing that really isn't that impressive with those shots is the fact that the shadows are still practically jet black dark...
...But that's what a lot of stuff actually looks like. Look at the photo. You can actually make out the inside of the shack better in the Crysis shot. In some places the shadows are too dark (left wall / foreground) and they'll probably stay that way until we have some way of accurately modelling diffusely reflected light (ie. dynamic illumination from the "glare" on dull surfaces, preferably unified with the shadowing system).

Brent_Justice said:
the mountains stand out looking more "cartoony" on the Crysis shot compared to the real world
I think the difference is little more than the distance haze effect. You can see it starting to creep in at the end of the valley, but it's not really evident on the mountains to the left - it's much more pronounced in the photo. If they cranked it up a notch it'd probably wash out those "cartoony" colours a little.
 
The Crysis shot of the mountains dont really have a good atmospheric perspective, and what the hell is with the shack picture? I wish developers would calm down with the frikkin bloom and HDR.
 
xerus` said:
The Crysis shot of the mountains dont really have a good atmospheric perspective, and what the hell is with the shack picture? I wish developers would calm down with the frikkin bloom and HDR.
Actually I was putting some co-workers to the test, 3 out of 4 of them chose the Crysis shack to be the real image. (I kind of covered up the grass as it is a big give away)
 
Am I the only one who is worried about the kind of power you're going to need to make Crysis look like that? I think my wallet is hurting already.
 
I can't help but be skeptical about the validity of those supposed 'real life' photos. : /
 
I hope there's an option for circular polarization :D Looks 90% real except for the grass and the chainlink gate looks almost opaque.

Can't imagine how awesome it would look to run a truck through that shack like in the Crysis video.
 
if that is truely in game then i am VERY impressed. This game is going to be something spectacular. I hope EA give crytek the resources and time they need to get this game finished properly.
 
MatDef said:
Am I the only one who is worried about the kind of power you're going to need to make Crysis look like that? I think my wallet is hurting already.

better save up nw like im doing
 
...But that's what a lot of stuff actually looks like. Look at the photo. You can actually make out the inside of the shack better in the Crysis shot. In some places the shadows are too dark (left wall / foreground) and they'll probably stay that way until we have some way of accurately modelling diffusely reflected light (ie. dynamic illumination from the "glare" on dull surfaces, preferably unified with the shadowing system).

like i said, the only thing i could complain about is the fact the shadows are sitll pitch black, i'm very impressed with what crytek has come up with :)
 
Trimlock said:
like i said, the only thing i could complain about is the fact the shadows are sitll pitch black, i'm very impressed with what crytek has come up with :)

I think the only way to fix that is for them to include some sort of raytracing. From what i can tell, they still use ambient lighting. The shadow on the outside wall and the inside of the shack has the same light value. That's why it looks pitch black on the outside (contrasting with the sunlight) and lighter on the inside (Isn't HDR supposed to fix this tho?)

There aren't supposed to be any light sources inside, that's why the real pic is darker. If they were to make it so that the outside shadow is the same shade as the real pic, the inside of the shack would also lightup.
 
Not too bothered with the shadows, in bright sunlight (as bright as it is in the pic) you can get away with it without it being too obvious - what really lets it down for me is the grass clumps: looks like it was stuck on afterwards in photoshop using the clone stamp tool... :rolleyes:
 
o ya, crysis would cost alot and a lot of memory and a new video card probably
 
Oh. Wow.

Crysis is going to be awesome. Hopefully they allow us to mod the levels, like with Far Cry (Sandbox editor). I could just walk around all day! :)
 
after seeing this all i can say is THANK GOD I WAS BORN IN NOVEMBER!

I can use it as an excuse to get a new computer! Visa i love you soooo much (till the end of the month :( )
 
It's funny that Crysis isn't comming out on Xbox 360. Someone's going to be in trouble when they find out.
 
DX10 VIDEO CARD, so dont spend too much yet, you must wait my little ones.
 
If you are planning on upgrading for this game, wait until it is released and someone does some real benching. The guys here will probably do a good write up and give you a good idea as to what you need.
 
That is probably the Vista and DX 10 version of course. You shouldn´t worry you just have to except that the closer to real life it gets the more demanding it gets. What would be worrying was if developers wouldn´t give us the chance to get such graphics if we pay for it... You will be able to scale it down of course.

I have no problem with lighting that is better than real. Can´t stand lens flare though :D The only thing that really told by a quick look was the grass otherwise the one that complains about such shots I don´t know what they expect...

I have another one for you which is real and which is not?





click for larger images.
 
Back
Top