Crysis 2 Most Disappointing Game of Decade?

most disappointed games for me so far this decade
1. bio-shock ( as a fan of system shock 2, it was impossible for me to accept this game on its on merits, seriously a system shock game holding your hand?
2. deus ex 2 ( to go from one of the most revolutionary titles in pc gaming to this was depressing, the whole thing felt like an amusement park)
3. oblivion (seriously this is what passes for an RPG?)
4.. half life 2 (could not even finish it. killed my love of shooters, it felt like i was moving from one triggered event to another, what this started, call of duty finished it was not, until far cry that i my love of shooters was rekindled)
5. crysis 2
6. gothic 4 arcana (if you played gothic 1-3 you understand why this one is here)
7. dragon age 2 (way to rape the spritual successor to BG2)

How can you not like HL2 or Oblivion? Check your temperature, I don't think you're feeling well... ;)

How can you not like HL2 or Oblivion? Check your temperature, I don't think you're feeling well... ;)

Yeah, I can't agree on that gentlemans list... HL2 was brilliant. Not sure how that could land anywhere close to Crysis on scale of dissapointment.

I think Half Life 1 was better than the second, you couldn't beat the atmosphere it provided. Half Life 2 focused more on an evolved story. I can see why someone might have been dissapointed. I liked them both.

I doubt I could be a dissapointed with Crysis 2 as many seem to be. Even though I enjoyed the first one and Warhead, I would never say they were great games to begin with.

The latest Wolfenstein is the biggest disappointment of this century so far.

Nope, Master's of Orion III was more disappointing. Sequel to game that is arguably best of genre, that looks to have done everything right (taking what makes the predecessors good and simply adding complexity and nuance to them). However, the end result was an unwieldy mess that felt more like a spreadsheet than a game. Complex to the point that if you micromanaged everything it would take a decade to complete a single game, or you could activate that automation options and watch the game simulate itself. Worse, it essentially ended turn based strategy as a viable genre. Though Stardock does it's best to resurrect it.

How could it be disappointing when there were never any high expectations for it?

I think the biggest disappointments are Crysis 2, DX2, Dragon Age 2, and Final Fantasy 13.

Don't know if Crysis 2 is the biggest disappointment ever, but it's certainly up there at the top of the list somewhere. This game is just bad, plain and simple.

Are you guys playing the same game as me :confused: I've played about 3 hours so far and it's superb! The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay (whilst not as open as Crysis admittedly) is also fantastic! I think a lot of people just have a cob on because it's also on console (get used to it) and doesn't max out their $5000 mega triSLI nuclear powered mega rig :rolleyes:

Played the damn Crysis 2 for like 15min and then removed it. Too linear and graphics aren't that impressive compared to a STALKER.

Played the damn Crysis 2 for like 15min and then removed it. Too linear and graphics aren't that impressive compared to a STALKER.

Due to comments I probably won't pick up this title until it's 10$ or less on sale. I got Crysis + Warhead for 10$ on a steam sale and I haven't even played either yet. Of course I didn't expect Crysis 2 to be a upgrade over Crysis since I heard it was coming to consoles and that Crysis 1 still stresses modern systems quite heavily.

How could it be disappointing when there were never any high expectations for it?

I think the biggest disappointments are Crysis 2, DX2, Dragon Age 2, and Final Fantasy 13.

I think Crysis 2 had pretty low expectations. As soon as they announced it was going to be on consoles the general opinion was that the game was going to be a console sell out. If you bought it expecting more than that, then you hadn't really been following the discussion leading up to its release.

Are you guys playing the same game as me :confused: I've played about 3 hours so far and it's superb! The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay (whilst not as open as Crysis admittedly) is also fantastic! I think a lot of people just have a cob on because it's also on console (get used to it) and doesn't max out their $5000 mega triSLI nuclear powered mega rig :rolleyes:

I would agree, pretty awesome game. Good story, excellent music, great firefights, pretty killer graphics at times. If they come out with a dx11 patch, it's really going to be spectacular.

For anyone who is disappointed by Crysis 2 and lack of PC support and interest by dev's this should explain it.

gamesforpc.png

4.. half life 2 (could not even finish it. killed my love of shooters, it felt like i was moving from one triggered event to another, what this started, call of duty finished it was not, until far cry that i my love of shooters was rekindled)

Wait let me get this straight. You didn't like HL2, and it ruined shooters for you until Far Cry came out. Since the first one has been out for years before HL2, you must be talking about Far Cry 2 then? You liked that game, but not HL2?

This is 2011. Year 2 of 10, or 1 of 10 however you look at it. How the hell can you say it's the worst game or even most disappointing game of a decade that isn't even 20% over? Quit QQ. Every company makes crap games once in a while. They live and learn or they fold.

False. The most disappointing game of the decade, perhaps even of the century, will be Duke Nukem Forever.

For anyone who is disappointed by Crysis 2 and lack of PC support and interest by dev's this should explain it.
Wrong. The reason why consoles are focused on more than PCs is because the console market is much larger than the high-end PC market. It's not because of piracy, no matter how many times publishers say that as an excuse.
Wait let me get this straight. You didn't like HL2, and it ruined shooters for you until Far Cry came out. Since the first one has been out for years before HL2, you must be talking about Far Cry 2 then? You liked that game, but not HL2?
Far Cry came out about six months before HL2, not "years".
False. The most disappointing game of the decade, perhaps even of the century, will be Duke Nukem Forever.
Yes, and you know this because obviously you've played Duke Nukem Forever. Oh, wait.

Wow you are so out of the loop, the loop is a dot to you. :D

This is 2011. Year 2 of 10, or 1 of 10 however you look at it. How the hell can you say it's the worst game or even most disappointing game of a decade that isn't even 20% over? Quit QQ. Every company makes crap games once in a while. They live and learn or they fold.

Relax Brau. Semantics. Just trying to get a point across. Just go with it.

And I don't buy that every company makes crap games once in a while...how many games has Crytek made? Come on maaan! It ain't right and you know it!;)

Yes, and you know this because obviously you've played Duke Nukem Forever. Oh, wait.
Yes, you are right, I haven't played it. But you can reason that with all the reputation Duke Nukem Forever has made, it would probably be extremely unlikely any developer could pull off something that lives up to its reputation. The fact is Duke Nukem Forever's reputation has overdone and outgrown itself is the lynchpin of my argument. When something like this happens to anything, it's extremely rare that they are able to meet the standards. Emotions and perspective dominate and exaggerate over reality, and past a certain point it becomes unrealistic, artificial, and impossible for reality to compete.

Take fantasy and daydreaming for example. Past a certain point of indulgement, instead of you becoming depressed about fantasy you become depressed over both reality and virtuality. Reality because reality can't compete with what virtuality has to offer in terms of fantasy, flexibility, capability, etcetera. Virtuality simply because it's material and finite. Your emotions and intensity can only go so far before you hit a limit and are left in a position unable to gain more.

It's also like a drug addiction. When you take a drug, you get used to it. As a result, you need to take more of that drug to keep the effect conscious and going.

If Gearbox can pull it off and satisfy the wide-majority of gamers, then they're in for some very good money and reps. But when Duke Nukem Forever comes out, whether or not it is like that, what comes next? What's after Duke Nukem Forever? The joke of the past decades dies and there's nothing left to grudge about or hang on to. Life goes on.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right, I haven't played it. But you can reason that with all the reputation Duke Nukem Forever has made, it would probably be extremely unlikely any developer could pull off something that lives up to its reputation. The fact is Duke Nukem Forever's reputation has overdone and outgrown itself is the lynchpin of my argument. When something like this happens to anything, it's extremely rare that they are able to meet the standards. Emotions and perspective dominate and exaggerate over reality, and past a certain point it becomes unrealistic, artificial, and impossible for reality to compete.
At this point, I don't think anyone is actually expecting an amazing game. Most people probably won't be terribly disappointed unless DNF turns out to be a complete piece of shit, which I doubt will happen since Gearbox is developing it.

This thread and especially the thread title make me feel like I'm on Gamespot's forums with the exception of a few posts.

I was trying to think of my biggest disappointment and you scored a bullseye. RTCW is a permanent fixture on my system,the last Wolfenstein was so inferior I could hardly force myself to finish it.

I was trying to think of my biggest disappointment and you scored a bullseye. RTCW is a permanent fixture on my system,the last Wolfenstein was so inferior I could hardly force myself to finish it.

RTCW is an all time classic. I love that damned game. I so wish we could have gotten a real sequel to it. Will we ever?

On that new one:

The MP was an abomination that pissed all over the Wolfenstein name, buried it, necroed it, crapped on it again, and then buried it again.

The SP was "decent" for a playthrough for the $30 or whatever I paid for it.

Eh, for me the most disappointing game was Empire Earth 3, the first one was fantastic and the second was was more complex and interesting. The Third was an extremely dumbed down piece of crap with extremely annoying voice actors and cartoonish graphics with pathetic AI.

Ironically, I would say Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game in recent years.

So much wasted potential.

Ironically, I would say Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game in recent years.

I actually own Far Cry 2 since I bought it in a gamepack for like 13$ a few weeks ago, I might get around to playing it but something says I probably shouldn't until I get really bored. :p

I actually own Far Cry 2 since I bought it in a gamepack for like 13$ a few weeks ago, I might get around to playing it but something says I probably shouldn't until I get really bored. :p
It will bore you to tears within an hour or less. Beautiful game, but lousy and really monotonous gameplay awaits all who play it for the first time.

Absolutely. Has to be my poster child for how polished a turd can really get. The damned thing is GORGEOUS. It's a wonderful tech demo and show off piece.

But that's all it is.

For me, if I'm looking over 2000-2010 as that first decade and I had to list biggest disappointments, if that thing isn't number one it certainly is near the top. Easily in my top 5.

It will bore you to tears within an hour or less. Beautiful game, but lousy and really monotonous gameplay awaits all who play it for the first time.

Exactly.

The game almost makes an art form of out of NOT giving the player incentive to do anything in the game world.

It's a glass bubble where nothing the player does matters to the point that not only do NPCs respawn into infinity, but the foliage, trees, and grass do. Everything does. You can have multiple "missions" in the same place over and over again and it's the same thing over and over again.

Nothing you do matters in the game or has any lasting effect. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Incredible. In the worst way possible.

Force Unleashed 2 for me. FC2 was disappointing and boring as hell, FU2 (oh such a perfect name for it) was down right horrendous. One of the worst games I have played in years. The original was fun and there was some good potential to grow from it and the developers sounded like they knew what they did wrong and wanted to fix it. Except almost everything about the game was unbearable shit.

Force Unleashed 2 for me. FC2 was disappointing and boring as hell, FU2 (oh such a perfect name for it) was down right horrendous. One of the worst games I have played in years. The original was fun and there was some good potential to grow from it and the developers sounded like they knew what they did wrong and wanted to fix it. Except almost everything about the game was unbearable shit.

Agreed on Far Cry 2. Nice to see the departure to mix it up, but horrible gameplay, i finished it, but I didn't enjoy it.

What I'd like to see is a true sequel to Far Cry with the same campy lead guy. Alas, Crytek can't do it, but....is that such a bad thing?

Either way, original Far Cry was a special game...and even all these years later, it does still hold up pretty friggin good.

most disappointed games for me so far this decade
1. bio-shock ( as a fan of system shock 2, it was impossible for me to accept this game on its on merits, seriously a system shock game holding your hand?
2. deus ex 2 ( to go from one of the most revolutionary titles in pc gaming to this was depressing, the whole thing felt like an amusement park)
3. oblivion (seriously this is what passes for an RPG?)
5. crysis 2
6. gothic 4 arcana (if you played gothic 1-3 you understand why this one is here)
7. dragon age 2 (way to rape the spritual successor to BG2)

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Bioshock was a disgrace to be compared with SS2. To stick on topic though, ya Crysis 2 is a bust.

Agreed on Far Cry 2. Nice to see the departure to mix it up, but horrible gameplay, i finished it, but I didn't enjoy it.

What I'd like to see is a true sequel to Far Cry with the same campy lead guy. Alas, Crytek can't do it, but....is that such a bad thing?

Either way, original Far Cry was a special game...and even all these years later, it does still hold up pretty friggin good.

Yeah, I myself only got FC2 in the recent Ubisoft 4 game package on Steam as well, and only because it was included. I've heard so much bad crap about it that I steered clear of it. I did manage to play it for about 10 hours or so according to Steam, but there's so many things wrong with the gameplay mechanics, the voiceovers, the ridiculous AI...I could go on and on forever.

And then I got sidetracked by playing the Stalker Complete mods and haven't looked back since. I may get around to it sometime, but it's going to be a while before I find the time or even care to.

Oh, and interestingly enough, as much as I loved the original Far Cry, once you got to the point you started fighting mutants, I couldn't even play it any more. I loved the feeling of fighting humans, and the sudden plot twist just didn't sit well with me. All the people that complained about Crysis 1 turning to crap once you got the aliens? That's how I felt about Far Cry 1.

Just uninstalled Crysis 2...couldn't take it anymore. Far Cry 2 rocks...play infamous level... limit yourself to bolt-action sniper, a .45 and your machete...do the missions, but forget the story ...lots of fun, keeps you on the run and sharp...good warm-up for scouting in CS:S.

Just uninstalled Crysis 2...couldn't take it anymore. Far Cry 2 rocks...play infamous level... limit yourself to bolt-action sniper, a .45 and your machete...do the missions, but forget the story ...lots of fun, keeps you on the run and sharp...good warm-up for scouting in CS:S.

Not sure I'd say FC2 rocks, but so far I did like it more than Crysis 2. Ugh. Not that it matters, but did we ever figure out if they are ever going to release DX11?

Back