Crucial 128g SSD SATA III $199

thebaest

Limp Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

This has been $199 few days and Ive been teetering getting 2 to throw in a RAID 0 for my games/data. Just a single 256gb version for their equivalent is $484 and youd get better performance in a RAID0. I read somewhere that 2 of these in a RAID0 was faster than the 6gb/s could handle, and that just didnt seem right, can anyone confirm that?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

This has been $199 few days and Ive been teetering getting 2 to throw in a RAID 0 for my games/data. Just a single 256gb version for their equivalent is $484 and youd get better performance in a RAID0. I read somewhere that 2 of these in a RAID0 was faster than the 6gb/s could handle, and that just didnt seem right, can anyone confirm that?

Think of it this way the performance numbers that you have seen from the last few generations of SSD are basically internal 8 drives in raid 0, so raiding them is like having a 16 drive raid 0 setup.

For what it's worth, Crucial released the 0007 firmware update for these drives yesterday which is supposed to fix the stutter/freeze/hang issues that some people have experienced. My drive came with 0006 and I haven't had any problems but there do seem be plenty of people who have. More here if you're interested in the firmware update.

So I take it the M4 C400's were not too much better than the previous gen C300's?

hmmm....

Does Samsung make SSD's now? I haven't heard of them doing much in the consumer market.

For what it's worth, Crucial released the 0007 firmware update for these drives yesterday which is supposed to fix the stutter/freeze/hang issues that some people have experienced. My drive came with 0006 and I haven't had any problems but there do seem be plenty of people who have. More here if you're interested in the firmware update.

0007 slowed down my performance!

asssdbenchc300ctfddac12.png

asssdbenchc300ctfddac12.png
[/IMG]

I came soooo close to buying this earlier today.. then I realized I can't afford to spend $200, and if I could I'd buy a sweet 2.0 speaker system for my PC instead.

I came soooo close to buying this earlier today.. then I realized I can't afford to spend $200, and if I could I'd buy a sweet 2.0 speaker system for my PC instead.

2.0 speakers for $200? That's a waste. Find a cool 1980's amplifier that's used from a garage sale or thift store and attach some speakers from an old boom box and it's way better than many computer speakers sold today.

Last edited:
2.0 speakers for $200? That's a waste. Find a cool 1980's amplifier that's used from a garage sale or thift store and attack some speakers from an old boom box and it's way better than many computer speakers sold today.

Replace 80's with 90's and 2.0 with 2.1 and you have my system :)

Spare-Flair, run your tests a few more times to confirm. Sometimes I run CrystalDisk and get widely varied numbers... I'm interested in your results. However, I didn't experience any stuttering with my C300 128GB drive, so I'm probably not even going to update the firmware.

Spare-Flair, run your tests a few more times to confirm. Sometimes I run CrystalDisk and get widely varied numbers... I'm interested in your results. However, I didn't experience any stuttering with my C300 128GB drive, so I'm probably not even going to update the firmware.

Yes I've run it a few times in frustration and the results are always lower performance on 0007. A few posters on Crucial's official feedback thread on their official forum report the same thing.

0007 was more a stability patch than a performance upgrade so I would recommend that if you are on 0006 and don't have any stability issues (some people had stuttering and freezing) then you shouldn't flash 0007.

I cannot downgrade to a lower firmware (I think someone tried that and it borked his drive) so it'll have to be this way until a new firmware is released.

Last edited:
That is frustrating, and sorry to hear that. I hope the next version gives you back the performance you had. Best of luck...

Amazon.com has the 256gb c300 for $375 if you get it from SSD Solutions (great feedback).

Faster and twice the capacity for less than double the newegg sale price of the 128gb version.

You tempt me so bad.

I tempted myself into buying one. Write speeds are significantly faster on the 256gb version. Came down to a decision between 1 256gb drive or 2 128gb drives in RAID. Speed vs TRIM. As soon as I found a 256gb for less than the 2 128gb's, I was sold.

I posted my benches here in the Data Storage thread: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037177926&postcount=42

As you say, the fluctuations run to run vary more than the difference S-F showed. In my opinion it's close enough to be a wash. However, it also seems to make sense to not flash it if it's working. I was getting occasional freezes and so far it's be freeze-free. The registry workaround didn't work for me.

Amazon.com has the 256gb c300 for $375 if you get it from SSD Solutions (great feedback).

Faster and twice the capacity for less than double the newegg sale price of the 128gb version.
Thats where I thought you got it from; great deal

I tempted myself into buying one. Write speeds are significantly faster on the 256gb version. Came down to a decision between 1 256gb drive or 2 128gb drives in RAID. Speed vs TRIM. As soon as I found a 256gb for less than the 2 128gb's, I was sold.
I wanted a 256 when I got my first drives but couldn't talk myself into it at the time; ended up with 2x128 in raid. $375 is a good deal though; wouldn't mind 2x256 in raid either.

enjoy your drive when it arrives

enjoy your drive when it arrives

I'm impressed by the quick turn-around from SSD Solutions... I used standard shipping (got an estimated delivery of 12-20 May from Amazon), and within 3 hours I had a shipping confirmation from SSD Solutions. It should be here by Monday (Tuesday at the latest).

I'm always a little wary of the small vendors on Amazon, but so far so good.

I guess SSD Solutions doesn't have the drive anymore, can't find it anywhere on the site

I guess SSD Solutions doesn't have the drive anymore, can't find it anywhere on the site

Looks like CEDirect has them for 410.00 including shipping.

375.00 is the best price I've ever seen on these drives.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back