Crowfall - Open World PVP MMO

"We aren’t going to protect players from making bad decisions."

That quote right there from the FAQ is gold. The less hand-holding, the better.

Also, this bit here is awesome:

22. How open are you guys to trying new ideas within Campaigns?
Our intention is to make this a community-driven process. We’ll come up with ideas, you guys will come up with ideas – and we’ll take the best ideas we find, wherever they come from, and we’ll give them a shot.

If an idea gains enough traction – meaning we like it, and you guys like it – we’ll try it**.

(**so long as it fits within the architecture. We just have to be careful that we don’t break the game at the meta-level.)

You want to try a world with no magic? Cool.
You want to try a world where we introduce gun power? Sounds interesting.
You want to try a world where each character only has one life – meaning that if you die once, you are permanently banned from the World? (I call this idea “Campaign Permadeath”)… Sure, let’s try it.
That’s the cool thing about this approach. We’re turning our game community into a massive, game-designing hivemind.
We’re game, if you are.

The stats on the archetypes are pretty low. It makes me think there will be a Discipline system that will provide enhanced class capabilities/specializations to max out some of those stats. Or maybe there is just a lot of room to grow.

Last edited:
So two updates today:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1717-020415-update-from-the-founders/

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1718-020415-day-3-zombiewood-faq/

It seems the game will be crowdfunded in some way (Not sure if kickstarter or what yet). They are already working on the game and have invested their own money and others.

If crowdfunding doesn't work they intend to go to a publisher or such, but that is their last resort (as it would mean giving control over the IP to someone else most likely).

I will probably kick in a little, I have stopped crowdfunding almost entirely this year so I can afford a little for this.

Hehe thanks for updating the thread with todays updates :). Been busy, man this game is starting to sound great. That quote from the FAQ is gold hahaha.

Really really hope they don't go for the same old "pop invis, backstab backstab" type of character.

Those are both extremely hard to balance and a pita in general.

Stealth should be less about going invis and more about using the environment, climbing (IE treetops/castle walls) and being "sneaky" like in AC/Splinter cell type of sneaking. Even lallow them to use disguises or something like tf2.

Yep, they've announced quite a few new things, from using the Voxel farm technology (IE What Everquest Next/Landmark uses), so you will be able to build/destroy things, to using physics on things, like characters blocking paths and what not.

Also tomorrow will be the launch of their kickstarter, as well as a reveal of some in-game footage.

So the kickstarter already hit their goal and then some.

Hopefully it hits the second stretch goal (mounts and caravans).

Also really really hope the melee combat does two things right:

1. It needs animation locking
2. Take out the telegraphs.

The telegraphs are not only an eye sore and distracting but they really really focus people on looking at the ground instead of doing like almost all great combat systems should do, have you looking at your opponent.

You should be able to learn the "Tells" from the animations and once you have played the game a bit get used to combat and actually learn what the moves look like from the animations and be able to quickly think on your feet if you want to dodge, block, counter, etc.

Well it has been a while since I've been here on [H], but I thought I would bump this thread as Pre-Alpha has started for this game, you can find videos on youtube. Right now the environment isn't textured as they are working on the combat system right now. I backed the project and got Alpha 3 access so hopefully I will get to play soon. This game is still looking awesome, there have been tons of updates since last Winter.

Just thought I would bump this thread as the devs have made leaps and bounds towards making the game great. They have added a lot of movement to combat, mostly everything is textured, the siege mechanic has been tested and they are working on performance improvements all the time.

Here is a video of me playing during a siege test window. Game is still in pre-alpha, but they are really making strides in getting this game put together right. There are performance issues in this video which is why there maybe some hesitation or clipping.

Just thought I would bump this thread as the devs have made leaps and bounds towards making the game great. They have added a lot of movement to combat, mostly everything is textured, the siege mechanic has been tested and they are working on performance improvements all the time.

Here is a video of me playing during a siege test window. Game is still in pre-alpha, but they are really making strides in getting this game put together right. There are performance issues in this video which is why there maybe some hesitation or clipping.

Hey, this was quite enjoyable! I don't get the downvotes...maybe they don't like the music!?

I'd be a lot more interested in world building/kingdoms if it weren't all instanced. They shouuld have made like worlds filled with other players and then let you do that kind of thing within your own "lot" of the world and allow people to explore and visit other players areas within the same world rather then having everything be instanced.

I'd be a lot more interested in world building/kingdoms if it weren't all instanced. They should have made like worlds filled with other players and then let you do that kind of thing within your own "lot" of the world and allow people to explore and visit other players areas within the same world rather then having everything be instanced.

Problem with that is, having hundreds of thousands of players and each one having a kingdom big enough for mountains and rivers... Just to begin with issues, I am not sure whether it would be even technically possible.

What will actually happen (also predicted by developers) is - maybe a dozen of really huge kingdoms will form, since people will be able to "move" their land plots / parcels / buildings (and maybe even some smaller pieces of landscape!?) to other kingdoms, if given permission. We are social animals, we tend to gather in groups and organize, so there will likely be a great majority of empty/deserted personal kingdoms of minimal size. In other words, your vision will come true, just in a bit different way.

Problem with that is, having hundreds of thousands of players and each one having a kingdom big enough for mountains and rivers... Just to begin with issues, I am not sure whether it would be even technically possible.

What will actually happen (also predicted by developers) is - maybe a dozen of really huge kingdoms will form, since people will be able to "move" their land plots / parcels / buildings (and maybe even some smaller pieces of landscape!?) to other kingdoms, if given permission. We are social animals, we tend to gather in groups and organize, so there will likely be a great majority of empty/deserted personal kingdoms of minimal size. In other words, your vision will come true, just in a bit different way.

I didn't mean a single world for every single person, rather like most mmo's, a server that supports like a couple thousand people on it, instead of just instancing everyone off in their own little worlds.

I didn't mean a single world for every single person, rather like most mmo's, a server that supports like a couple thousand people on it, instead of just instancing everyone off in their own little worlds.

Sorry, I should read more carefully next time. Sure, it's more logical than my auto-assumption that you had everyone in mind.

That seems possible, and as I said - something similar will likely happen in bigger Eternal Kingdoms, but speaking of Campaigns - developers seem to intend to do exactly the opposite. Idea is to have maps fully covered with the fog of war, and to drop players naked on totally random places, regardless of groups/guilds or any pre-made connections - survival style.

Players will be able to change "landscape" only by building keeps, palaces... (possibly roads, bridges etc.) out of pre-made pieces of walls, towers and so on. And, the way it stands now, not more than that.

Is there any way a mod can update the title? I always wonder what this thread is about when I read Play 2 Crush and forget about Crowfall.

"Big World" tests just started - it's a step between earlier small scale MOBA-like tests and real big MMO servers. Gathering/crafting/progression is there, but there's no building, destruction, guilds, territory control etc. yet:

PS the game just broke 150 000 accounts and $10M of budget.

Is there any way a mod can update the title? I always wonder what this thread is about when I read Play 2 Crush and forget about Crowfall.

I'll ask a mod to update the title. I didn't even know the name of the game when I created this thread because it hadn't been announced at that time :p.

EDIT: Hope the new name reflects the game better :).

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. I just noticed the e-mail from the 15th this month. They are partnering with indiegogo to offer an actual investment stake instead of just being a backer. I'm gonna have to go over their Form C more later, but I may toss them $100-200 for shits and giggles, just on the offshoot they do decent enough before closing shop that I'll make a little bit on it from the buyout or IPO/diviends in the long run.

For all those that complained about kickstarter not being an investment, here's the start of it! You get game packages perks with your actual investment.

Hey gang!

This morning, we are incredibly excited to announce that we have been invited by Indiegogo (one of the world's leading crowdfunding sites) to be one of only four launch titles on their new
Indiegogo Equity Crowdfunding platform.

Sounds fancy! What does that mean?

Well, as you guys know, ArtCraft is a start-up. Start-ups often raise money by selling stock (or some other instrument) to help bring their product to market. Early investors can participate in the hopes of furthering that goal and maybe even make a nice return-on-investment in the process.

Until a few months ago, it was only legal for accredited investors (which is a fancy term for "rich people") to invest in start-ups online. That just changed, and now (with certain restrictions), companies like ArtCraft can take investment from normal people.

How is Indiegogo involved?

IndieGoGo has partnered to launch a site today to host these kinds of investments. They wanted to include a game in the initial line-up of offerings, and thought that Crowfall would be perfect. They invited us, and we agreed.

Why are you doing this now?

We have wanted to be able to let our backers become more deeply involved in our company since the beginning -- but until now there wasn't a good way to do it.

Intriguing! Where can I get more information?

Want to know more? Check out our crowdfunding page at:

https://app.microventures.com/crowdfunding/artcraft-entertainment

As always, thank you SO MUCH for your continued support, and thanks for your consideration!

Todd and Gordon

Founders, ArtCraft Entertainment

Just letting everyone know - Today (1/18/17) there is a 8am CST to 8PM CST Livestream on Crowfall's Twitch Channel! They are also offering a lot of discounts on their pledges and other crowdfunding stuff, including a package that will let you play in the (frequent) pre-alpha tests such as the one starting this Friday! Anyone who pledges $20 during the Stream gets a special unique Silver Dragon statue for their Eternal Kingdom which confers a buff and has some other benefits I believe.

Those who have anything on Layaway, if you make a payment of $20 or more on it today, then email Support, they will authorize the Silver Dragon.

Oh and the Investment (Preferred Stock) period has JUST closed the other day and was a roaring success. Any questions let me know :)

Time for a little update - The Crowfall pre-alpha build is up almost every weekend, Friday - Monday and has been expanding frequently. The next scheduled test, starting Thurs 16th at 9pm and running through Monday, will likely have the new Templar archetype (class) for the first time. Checking out news items like.,.. https://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-on-the-horizon/ show what is coming soon. https://crowfall.com/en/news/meet-the-new-knight/ and https://crowfall.com/en/news/templar-powers-fx/ discuss the overhaul the Knight class had recently and how the starting version of the Templar will play when it debuts for testing. More to come soon and if you have any questions about the game don't hesitate to ask.

One of the issues I had with Shadowbane was that you had to build your classes is almost a perfect way in order to be competitive PvP. It's like following a min/max template. Is Crowfall still this way?

One of the issues I had with Shadowbane was that you had to build your classes is almost a perfect way in order to be competitive PvP. It's like following a min/max template. Is Crowfall still this way?

Let's hope not, and based on anything they've been telling us so far - they are trying hard to make it really diverse. Anyway, it's wait and see.

PS Just in case, I'll "extract" the Templar video from Xaeos' link up there:

Have in mind that this is the very first Templar footage: real alpha test stuff with only basic skills + rough first animations etc.

I think many of us Shadowbane players, myself included (an Elven Bladedancer which was not one of the optimal PVP builds), are very wary and attentive, giving feedback to keep this from coming to Crowfall. Right now it is way too early in the grand scheme of balancing (not even all character classes are playable in the pre-alpha) to know for sure, but there are some good indications. First of all, unlike Shadowbane, you are not locked to one class "per character" to speak, so if your combo is nerfed you can't do much but start an alt. One of the novel aspects of Crowfall that helps to ease (though not entirely eliminate) this issue is that your persona is more or less account based. "You" the character is a spirit being capable of being ressurected/reincarnated and (just recently added to the testing) is represented by "ghostly crow". Each character archetype (aka class) is a body that you can inhabit and move as you wish, more or less. In fact, bodies or "Vessels" as they're known are actually craftable! Necromancy and Alchemy are Crafting professions used to turn various elements (including body parts, looted from enemies and/or graveyard nodes) into a usable Vessel, with various stats. Now, "basic" quality vessels are always available from any Temple, in any of the character classes (later, it may be certain temples give out certain kinds of vessels. There is a lore/religion component that will help empowering certain things. For instance, concencrating Widget A at a Druidic temple may give it better stats in crafting a Druid vessel etc) , but "green, blue, purple" rarer vessels willl only be crafted and traded.

Upgraded Vessels may have some stat benefits, but the core of character development is on the "account" level, with the "crow" itself. Like I mentioned above, Crowfall uses a hybrid XP system that also takes from EVE online. Your Crow can set to learn various skills, which train automatically at intervals online and off. Active gains when the character is involved in crafting, combat etc.. also take place alongside passive level ups - the current system is only a shell of what it will be later and the active development in non-crafting professions isn't in yet I don';t think. Skills are arranged in progressive "tree" form where you have to max a previous one to move onto the next linked skill. Some are "universal" skills that are affect all archetypes/classes, others are class specific. At the moment in testing, you can set up 1 universal skill and 3 specific ones to passively train at a time; this may change. So with this in mind, you aren't nearly as "stuck" to a particular build or class as you were in Shadowbane. Furthermore, since this is a passive skill based system, you could, with enough time, level them all...unless they changed that, there really arent' going to be hard caps, because you can only use so many skills at a time. Learning more only makes you "better" to a point, but after that it simply gives you more options to switch between. Note that you won't be able to swap vessels rapidly either - as one would expect from a lore perspective when all is finished, transitioning between various bodies isn't something you do in the middle of a battle, quickly and with no ill effects! There will be things like "reincarnation sickness", time for the ceremony , as well as the monetary cost of crafting/upkeeping your other Vessels. Note that they can be stolen depending on the ruleset at the moment, but "item form" vessels can drop on death in any ruleset that allows item drops, so taking your epic vessels out on the campaign is not a choice to make lightly!

The account-wide training and "vessel" system will hopefully alleviate some of the issues of Shadowbane. It also worth it to mention that "disciplines", further unlockable skill customizations and whanot are not even in open testing as of yet, so thats yet another element. Its also noteworthy that besides all of that, Crowfall exists at a time where technical features, such as say, collision detection, are present in a way they could never be in Shadowbane. Add to this with an enhanced quality game design avoiding issues of the past (hopefulyl!), and you can see that classes like the Knight -a melee tank - that was often at a disadvantaged in Shadowbane thanks to ranged magic users kiting them, now has A) a "sprint towarsds, impact, and rapidy stun the enemy" mechanic from the start and B) The ability to "block" and actually impede the progress of others trying to get around them! This kind of thing will help with balancing with any luck, ensuring that different classes serve different roles, without requiring a particular handful of optimal builds that are more or less "best" in most situations.

While its too early to tell for sure and it is certainly an important issue, with enough players testing and giving their input, along with some novel systems, hopefully Crowfall will offer a wide assortment of balanced archetypes and builds to suit the interests and playstyle of many.

Edit: Thanks for bringing out that video, James!

Man. 70 bucks for early access? Seems spendy. :grumpy:

To make it worse, it used to be hundreds of bucks - and all that for testing very incomplete, rough, laggy and buggy bare bones of the game.

At this point, it's for the people that want to see something new in the genre, through support with both money and test feedback; otherwise, it's far from typical AAA early access. And of course, there is lots of folks that want to have castles, mounts, statues etc. on discount (or to have more of these for the same money, or to have some unique stuff) - since the earlier you pledge, the more/cheaper things you get; that is to say, alpha access is just "attached" to many other things.

In my mind that was one of the best parts. I loved playing with all the traits and doing stupid things that work sometimes haha.

Pre-Alpha build 4.0 is here! Besides the Templar archetype (a 2-hand wielding tank), they also added the framework of Factions that we'll see in campaign worlds. Its a rough system so far, but when you join one of the PVP-enabled realms (note, you can start on the PVE Realm to get to crafting some basic equipment and learn the basics of the game without worry about being ganked by other players. However, many resource nodes will only be present on PVP enabled worlds, just like it will be in the future) you can pick from 3 teams - Order, Balance, or Chaos to join for the duration of the test platform. Work with those on your faction of choice and be ready to defend yourself against the other two, testing a very basic microcosm of what a campaign world could one day offer. Its notable that there will be many Campaign Worlds when the game is released with different rulesets, such as 2 opposing factions, 3 opposing factions, free-for-all where only your group and guild members are on your side, and more! The test continues throughout the weekend, so you'll have plenty of time.

Here's a launch news posting for the event - https://crowfall.com/en/news/pre-alpha-4-0-pick-a-faction/ ! New features are coming fast and fierce, its great to see!

...and this is how one man army...err, Templar looks in player tests (some DPS/CC tests first, then sound and PvP starts after 2:35):

Time for another update! Crowfall pre-alpha weekends have been coming along nicely and along with the Templar's recent addition and Eternal Kingdoms on the horizon, there's more to come soon!

First here's an article about the Assassin archetype, which will soon come to the tests - https://crowfall.com/en/news/meet-the-assassin/ - The Fae Assassin is a nice take on what one expects of the Rogue/Assassin playstyle, has wings that allow limited gliding/safe fall, and will implement the positional/location damage system (ie backstabs, Centaur Legionnnaires being able to kick behind them with their rear legs etc) which will become important later on. Remember that unlike many MMOs, PC's have weight and presence and can physically block others, so with these aspects added some elements like a "Shield Wall" or " Turtle" formation become powerful if executed skillfully!

Next, here's one about a long awaited feature - Disciplines! https://crowfall.com/en/news/on-the-horizon-combat-disciplines/ - Serving as a sub-class system, Disciplines confer additional abilities, and even entire power trays/equipment slots in some cases! There will be 3 kinds of Disciplines a character can equip - Weapon Discpline which grants various bonuses to a weapon that your Archetype can use; each Archetype has at least 2 and sometimes as many as 7 weapons to choose from; each Archetype can use 1 Weapon Discipline at a time. ! Major Disciplines are the "subclass" style runes that grant you wide new abilities with stats, powers and equipment slots; you can equip 2 at once to expand your flexibility or focus deeply into one field. Lastly, Minor disciplines are based around a single idea. Do you want to do more damage from long range, at the cost of a bit of close up damage? Upgraded movement speed + a new sprint ability? Extra damage on Execute abilities? Each archetype can equip up to 3 Minor Disciplines. Overall this will be a major way for players to customize their characters and it will soon debut, in a very early stage of course, on the pre-Alpha playtests!

Finally, here's an video about how current Alpha systems are basically placeholders for much more extensive ones, and what's coming down the line - https://crowfall.com/en/news/ace-qa-for-march-playable-placeholders/

---
If any of this interests you, I've come into the ability to offer some Crowfall pledges at discounted prices! PM me, and/or check my ForSale/WantToBuy forum thread! I'll be offering all of the pledges that include a full Crowfall account key, immediate Early Access to the weekly tests, and a whole hosts of other goodies; discounts increase the higher package you wish to purchase! If I am able to sell a few, I may be able to offer some giveaways too!

Any questions don't hesitate to PM me!

Quite strange place to find that Crowfall Q&A for March is out!? Anyway, thanks for the update!

New updates! Again the Test server is up and the beginnings of Eternal Kingdoms are beginning to be tested! This means its time to start the placement of buildings testing! Some other info...

https://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-247-test-plans/ - They are honing plans for 24/7 testing as opposed to the "long weekend" tests they have now; in the next couple of months it will arrive! Furthermore, they are going to be changing around some of the lower-cost pledges again by the end of the month! Its notable that for the first time, the lowest-cost full game key bundle - 2017 Contributor - will now grant owners access to Early Access testing, which has been previously only restricted to the more expensive pledges. With this in mind, I will be offering 2017 Contributor pledges at $40, discounted from their normal $45 price! Check my thread in FS/WTB or contact me via PM!

Note that that they will be removing this pledge at the end of the month and replacing it one with later, "Beta 3" access instead of "Beta 2" who are currently getting invited, so be sure to Remember that the type of access, from Pre-Alpha 1, Pre Alpha 2, Alpha 1, Alpha 2, etc.. all the way down to Beta 3 are orders of precedence for access to new content. It does NOT mean that you have to wait until the game is actually in "beta" state for you to play!

Here's some info on the first implementations of placing architecture as well - https://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-building-eks/ ! Eternal Kingdom testing will be ramped up soon and just like every other new feature, will first be made available to highest-tier Early Access "Pre-Alpha 1" types and then invited in waves down from there.

Lots of exciting progress!

Speaking of building, this is how you can kill people by building (!) on a PvE server, that is with PvP off (!!):

Also, Fae Assassins are next archetype, classical stealthy stabby stabby rogue (check the daggers!):

dave-greco-fromtheheavens.jpg

...and here is an early 3D render of her (looks kinda bulky, I hope this is just an early pass...and yes, they have wings):

Crowfall_Assassin_Render_Watermarked.jpg

All the new MMOs are kickstarter rape you packs to alpha test, don't really get the point of that, other than that no one is really funding them like they used to... Having said that, I really hope Camelot Unchained doesn't suck, I can't see myself dropping $70 on an IP I never heard of just to get into a alpha/beta testing phase.

All the new MMOs are kickstarter rape you packs to alpha test, don't really get the point of that, other than that no one is really funding them like they used to... Having said that, I really hope Camelot Unchained doesn't suck, I can't see myself dropping $70 on an IP I never heard of just to get into a alpha/beta testing phase.

I'm also a Camelot Unchained backer (and an original Dark Age of Camelot player; Avalonian one one server, Elf on the other). I think its notable that the vast majority of successful , currently in development crowdfunded MMOs - from Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Chronicles of Elyria, to Crowfall, etc.. actually allow people into the test for a mild investment; often the cheapest game package, or one close to it. Any restriction is usually predicated on who gets let into what content at what time and if you think about this, it is a smart move on any MMO developer, especially a crowdfunded one that is trying to use their funding efficiently. A game built with "everyone gets into our earliest, roughest tests as soon as they back!" promised means an exponentially growing cost/difficulty in maintaining a test server capable of holding those people, which may not always be the best use of testing methodology; sometimes you just need a handful of people to really deep dive, as opposed to a thousand playing casually.

Thus, most viable crowdfunded MMOs I've seen promise access testing for the majority of backers, but the actual pace/groups of which they are granted access vary upon a number of factors. Yes, the people who have the earliest access to the roughest, newest material to test are likely to be those who have proven themselves in some way, be it buying a more expensive package, or by showing their dedication to the community by participating on forums, quality bug reporting etc. These are the players who are most likely to be beneficial to testing and frankly less likely to be the "don't know the real definition of beta, play for 5 minutes, say this game sucks" player groups that still persist, albeit in MUCH smaller numbers, even in crowdfunded development. However, while most MMOs have a group of earliest, most dedicated testers, the majority of their backer base are also given access to testing in somewhat of a "general" pool. Now there may be some variation on the exact content and order of access, overall most backers receive what is comparatively exceptionally early access to testing content and the ability to provide feedback compared to non-crowdfunded development. It really doesn't behoove most devs in this circumstance to jack up the barriers to access, especially to testing, because it would somehow translate into more sales - it just doesn't typically work that way. Furthermore, the potential costs (ie having to run the rawest test environment ready for 10,000 potential players with random motivations from day 1, instead of a controlled and selected 500 that will actually help accomplish the objectives this build ) could be great, both financially and in terms of development time. In my understanding, having backed quite a few MMOs (and for what its worth, confirming this with a few friends in the industry) is that access to testing is typically granted at a "general admission" level pretty inexpensively and widely, and the actual rate/scope of invites/testing and whatnot vary depending on the state of development.

Speaking about Crowfall specifically, it should be noted that they are not an untested IP but is a spiritual successor to a venerable early-age MMO: Shadowbane. Much like Camelot Unchained is crafted by the original core creation staff of Dark Age of Camelot to be the evolved successor of that dynamic, Crowfall is an evolution of some of Shadowbane's concepts, picking what worked, throwing away what didn't, and extending them far beyond what the early 2000's technology could have ever dreamed. With regards to the pledges, now even the $45 tier is being given Early Access to testing in the "general population"! Note that up until this month, only the $70 and higher pledges were granted early access (and of course will continue to be so) However, due to the number of pledges out there (suggesting that there is a significant pledge rate), that those who buy the $45 tier already, or do so through the end of the month, will be granted quick access to testing, but starting next month (and with a name change to the pledge) they will add a later "block", so anyone who wants to join should be sure they've pledged while the $45 tier is called "2017 Contributor"! Overall, this is a pretty permissive testing schedule, which most pledge groups admitted instantly, with even the lowest end (and likely most voluminous, which needs to be accounted for from a technical standpoint) being admitted either now/very soon, or being added in relatively frequent blocks. All the while testing itself takes place at a very rough pre-alpha state even for the general population (without NDA!), but is frequently updated with new content and game systems to testing.

Everyone has their particular interests and thresholds when it comes to backing a "MMO/long development trajectory " crowdfunded title. As always I suggest that anyone pledge as early as their interests and finances permit them as the rewards will be the greatest (as will any potential to upgrade if they like what they see), but everyone must make their own decisions.

Back