Crowfall - Open World PVP MMO

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
Knew about this couple weeks ago, thought I would post. Seems interesting, sounds like a new badass MMORPG maybe? Sounds very PvP based. Being that I am currently playing Shadowbane Emu, I happened upon this. Just thought I would share.

Crowfall

EDIT: Now known as CrowFall.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, signed up for the beta.

At first I thought "with that name is it a mobile game or something?"

However they have some great mmo's behind them that they've worked on, Ultima Online, Shadowbane, SWG, etc.

I guess the countdown on the site is for their "reveal" about the game and what it actually is. Hopefully sandbox'ish in design and not another linear theme park world design mmorpg.

Last edited:
I am hoping for the same, I love sandbox games, hence why I am playing Shadowbane Emulator right now, with some CSGO on the side lol. And that is what I am guessing as well, looks like it will be sometime mid Feb when we will see what it is all about. I'm in beta group 2 so I will get to see, but not play initially.

Yeah it was posted on Massively the other day so it's got a bit of folks who are lined up for it already.

Signed up for it also , as anything that might get back to SWG/UO lines is much more of what I want than any of the theme parked , linear , psuedo mmo's that seem to be the norm today.

Group 4 as well.

Lets see how this turns out. Thanks for sharing.

LOL @ "Our games didn’t have to appeal to everyone, and we didn’t judge ourselves solely on mass market success."

Vanguard called and they want their marketing line back, right after Crush claims the spot next to Vanguard in the "also ran" league.

In case no one saw the email, the forums are up, there is going to be some content released this Tuesday. Hopefully we get some screenies :).

Yeah I've been posting a bit on the forums, lots of good ideas and things thrown around and there's also already been a huge uproar of Shadowbane and Wizard 101 players fighting (because the developers previously worked on both). They had to lock it down a bit and banned quite a few people making personal remarks at others.

Also of interesting note, a little whiel ago someone noticed a link to one of the lead guys (Gordon Walton), he was the guy who brought about Trammel in Ultima Online (if you don't know this basically "split" the world in two, with one facet being PVP and the other being non-pvp). He came out and admitted that yes it was him behind it and there were things about it regretted and things he didn't, from a business standpoint it helped UO grow a lot but from a gameplay standpoint it had a lot of ripple effects and ruined the game for a lot of the die hard fans.

Anyways, certainly is already quite a lively amount of people on the forums waiting for more news/info about the game, hope the little tidbit tomorrow is nice.

I knew as soon as I saw this it was tied or related to Shadowbane....that was by far one of the best PvP games I've ever come across. True siege play and actual meaningful pvp and death. I can't wait to see what this is about.

I'm just looking out for Everquest Next Smoke Jumper is playing smoke and mirrors with the thing along with Smed if he has any say on it.

First screen released showing character creation:
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/641-011315-character-creation-preview/

Looks a wee bit cartoony, was hoping they would be a bit more on the realistic side.

Also really really hoping this isn't some cheap browser- based mmo or tablet/mobile game.

I doubt it will be browser based, but it looks a lot like WoW styled graphics. I am already up in arms about it on the forum lol. I was hoping for something more cool looking rather than... toony.. I already wasted $20 on a game that I no longer play because the toony graphics just ruin anything that would be cool like explosions and stuff. Was hoping it would be an improvement on Shadowbane type graphics not a move to a toony style... Oh well this is pre-alpha so maybe they will get rid of the clay figures and get some textures in there.

This thing definitely sounds like something I would be interested in. I went ahead and signed up.

Given the concepts and previews they've given us so far, it would seem that their looking at doing PvP on a massive scale. As such, I'm not exactly up in arms about the art style. If they're going for a simpler art style to facilitate better performance in a large PvP scenario, that's great, as long as the gameplay mechanics are solid.

This thing definitely sounds like something I would be interested in. I went ahead and signed up.

Given the concepts and previews they've given us so far, it would seem that their looking at doing PvP on a massive scale. As such, I'm not exactly up in arms about the art style. If they're going for a simpler art style to facilitate better performance in a large PvP scenario, that's great, as long as the gameplay mechanics are solid.

Yeah, I am not as excited about the game, but I guess once group 2 rolls around I will play it and see how I like it, who knows maybe it will grow on me. I love the large sandbox type PvP, thats why I played and still play Shadowbane :D.

Liking the little hints so far with land ownership and a system of feudalism.

The new character screenshot looks way better imo, not as cartoony.

After clicking that page I feel somewhat like I just got bullied into registering but I did anyway.

Wow .. talk about some Shadowbane nostalgia...

Guild Crest:
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/740-011515-templars-champions-and-a-cryptic-tree/

Character runes:
http://community.crowfall.com/index...character-creation-preview-runes-runes-runes/

I don't like PVP but I still liked Shadowbane. The character creation process was really though. Too much min/maxing, so I always felt gimped because I didn't have the perfect build.

Hopefully the new game does a better job balancing but still having some customization.

Last edited:
Yes it looks like there is a lot of traits carrying over from Shadowbane, I think they knew they had something way ahead of its time back then and had a very good foundation, but had to make some changes so it will definitely be interesting.

After clicking that page I feel somewhat like I just got bullied into registering but I did anyway.

Whats the problem with that :D.

I realize most who are participating in this thread are on the Crowfall forum. But in case there are others who are just reading this and may be interested, I will continue to post updates.

There was another update today, very interesting to say the least, has to do with how the in game world is structured, and also crafting.

Linky: http://community.crowfall.com/index...rowfall-universe-economycrafting-raph-koster/

If this interests you, WATCH THE VIDEO, gives away a lot of hints same with the MMORPG Interview about crafting that is in Red, bolded, and underlined in the post.

The more I read about this game, and the mindset of the designers, the more excited I get.

It's one thing to run around spouting things like, "Huge, open world!" and "Player housing!" but it's another thing entirely to see a developer sit down and explain what exactly is going on, how they're going to do it, and why they want to do it that way.

Did you even read the posts in here, or even some of the content on their website? It's pretty obvious that it's an MMO.

No, it's not in big, bright red letters, in 72pt font. But, with a bit of reading it's pretty obvious.

I can't even tell what type of game it is from their website, not off to a good start here.

It is an MMO with PvP, resources, crafting, sieges etc. But they're doing something new. Read the main page, then read everything in the News section, that should give you a good idea. If you know what ShadowBane is, they're using parts of that game as inspiration since Todd Coleman basically created ShadowBane. It isn't going to be WoW, or TERA, or GW2. This is something new.

The more I read about this game, and the mindset of the designers, the more excited I get.

It's one thing to run around spouting things like, "Huge, open world!" and "Player housing!" but it's another thing entirely to see a developer sit down and explain what exactly is going on, how they're going to do it, and why they want to do it that way.

Also they're taking community input, it is funny because we are basically helping them create this game by coming up with ideas, and voting on them. Though I am sure not all ideas are taken into consideration, I am sure we are having an influence on how this game is being designed.

Ok the new info today has my psyched! Psyched I tell you, psyched!

Raph Koster, largely responsible for the economy/crafting aspects in UO and SWG, which imo are FAR FAR better then any other mmorpg out there in that aspect.

With him helping I really hope they understand how important that non-instanced player-housing is in tying to that sort of thing.

Just need to make it more controlled (IE like Vanguard), where there are specific "plots" of land you can build on and you can't just plop down houses anywhere (lest you end up with UO/SWG style of mazes of houses just dotting around the landsscape.

With him helping I really hope they understand how important that non-instanced player-housing is in tying to that sort of thing.
Instancing would completely go against what they are trying to do if they are shooting for SB type of sieges.

Yay, centaurs!

Love those, nice to see them having some good non-human racces like Shadowbane did, so tired of "Elf/dwarves" in most mmo's.

Also hoping that the Over-the-shoulder thing isn't directly over the shoulder and we can zoom in/out.

One of the things I hate about newer action games is the camera is soooooooo close to your character like 2/3rd of your screen is taken up by starting at their backside.

I think Neverwinter (the mmo), nailed the view/controls good for an "action-mmorpg."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBggaoQyxnI

Also hope they have mouse-lock (like in Neverwinter) so you can aim and move with your mouse.

Yay, centaurs!

Love those, nice to see them having some good non-human racces like Shadowbane did, so tired of "Elf/dwarves" in most mmo's.

Also hoping that the Over-the-shoulder thing isn't directly over the shoulder and we can zoom in/out.

One of the things I hate about newer action games is the camera is soooooooo close to your character like 2/3rd of your screen is taken up by starting at their backside.

I think Neverwinter (the mmo), nailed the view/controls good for an "action-mmorpg."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBggaoQyxnI

Also hope they have mouse-lock (like in Neverwinter) so you can aim and move with your mouse.

That is what I am hoping for too, zooming in and out with mouse lock. I really hope they put in first person though. I would mostly use 3rd person when doing mundane things, but when it comes to combat first person is where it is at.

So glad to heart the combat isn't tab-target based and they are using physics/collision detection so players can't walk through others and projectiles can collide with things other then your intended target.

Also the world idea sounds neat. While I am sure many people (including myself actually) were hoping for all FFA pvp 100% of the time, I think if they can give reasons to balancing out all of these worlds having different rulesets and having unique things found only in "x" world this can lead to a lot of different gameplay elements as you go through each one, from faction, to guild, to ffa, etc.

So glad to heart the combat isn't tab-target based and they are using physics/collision detection so players can't walk through others and projectiles can collide with things other then your intended target.

Also the world idea sounds neat. While I am sure many people (including myself actually) were hoping for all FFA pvp 100% of the time, I think if they can give reasons to balancing out all of these worlds having different rulesets and having unique things found only in "x" world this can lead to a lot of different gameplay elements as you go through each one, from faction, to guild, to ffa, etc.

I agree, tab target is out dated, need a more interactive game play.

Also a nice juicy update :) enjoy!

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1597-020215-hunger-week-its-about-time/

That sounds great, I wonder what kinds of things players will be able to impact though.

Also would really love to see a season system (Since they talk about that in their example), where you have areas that snow at certain times of the year and trees leaves change colours/fall off, etc.

I can't believe Asheron's Call is still so far "ahead" of other mmo's int hat regard...and it was one of the first-gen big mmo's.

Given the scale of what they're going for, it's a good idea to not make it too demanding hardware-wise. Gameplay always trumps graphics, so I'm willing to take less than top of the line graphics if it means great gameplay and a great gaming experience.

So two updates today:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1717-020415-update-from-the-founders/

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1718-020415-day-3-zombiewood-faq/

It seems the game will be crowdfunded in some way (Not sure if kickstarter or what yet). They are already working on the game and have invested their own money and others.

If crowdfunding doesn't work they intend to go to a publisher or such, but that is their last resort (as it would mean giving control over the IP to someone else most likely).

I will probably kick in a little, I have stopped crowdfunding almost entirely this year so I can afford a little for this.

Back