• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crowdbuying CRTs...

CRT versus LCD. Not really an either/or I suppose.

I'm fine with LCD for work stuff and it's ok for the phone (though I'd prefer an OLED display). And I'm glad there isn't a CRT hinged to my laptop computer.

That said...I've tried LCDs for my home enthusiast machine, but CRTs have far truer blacks and around 15 times the dynamic range, and that's the sugar I need! :)

(BTW, has anyone here tried a 55" LG OLED TV as a full time computer monitor? I recall someone saying folks are, but most detailed post I remember from another forum was person did not find it practical as such. And on the several occasions I've gone and paid my respects to the LG, seems like it would be too pixelated at a computer monitor viewing distance...)
 
CRT versus LCD. Not really an either/or I suppose.

I'm fine with LCD for work stuff and it's ok for the phone (though I'd prefer an OLED display). And I'm glad there isn't a CRT hinged to my laptop computer.

That said...I've tried LCDs for my home enthusiast machine, but CRTs have far truer blacks and around 15 times the dynamic range, and that's the sugar I need! :)

(BTW, has anyone here tried a 55" LG OLED TV as a full time computer monitor? I recall someone saying folks are, but most detailed post I remember from another forum was person did not find it practical as such. And on the several occasions I've gone and paid my respects to the LG, seems like it would be too pixelated at a computer monitor viewing distance...)

Was wondering when you were going to show up here. :)

I also like my LCD's for work. My current programming setup is my Dell Precision m4500 with a 1080p screen, along with another 1080p screen (the Samsung) if I need more real estate.
 
There were CRTs with a 180KHz scanrate. This is enough to do 3360x1440 at 120Hz or 5040x2160 at 80Hz. The 180KHz CRTs were projectors, not direct-view tubes, but it does prove that extreme scanrates are very possible and have been used.
 
Projection tubes are a bit different to direct-view tubes. They're monochrome (no worries about high field strengths warping shadow masks or aperture grills), have a fairly small area (8"-9") so have much lower beam slew rates, and they have an unusually high aspect ratio (long tube for the displayed area) allowing for a longer beam path to affect the beam in. A proportionally long 24" CRT might be a metre deep just for the tube!
 
I still don't get what you're trying to say. The only ocean of difference is in the size and weight factor. And of course power consumption and heat, which aren't even all that bad.
That's all it needs to have. Substantial difference in weight and size means more desk space, more options for installations, and oddball things like, I dunno.. smartphones. Unless you think the Watchman is making a comeback.

You say that people have gone blind from using CRT's for years? How so exactly?
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802360


You say that CRT has no functional benefit in 2015. Define functional? The function of a display is to produce images - something that CRT is better than LCD at doing.
"better" is your opinion. I look at a 50" 1080 TV at the store and I dunno, the image just looks a little better than I remember my 27" Sony Trinitron looking.

By "functional" I mean that the screen provides some perk that is so overwhelming that despite the difficulty in obtaining a new CRT, it would be worth the effort. CRTs have none.
 
That's all it needs to have. Substantial difference in weight and size means more desk space, more options for installations, and oddball things like, I dunno.. smartphones.

You're clearly not that interested in picture quality.


weak anecdotes from users who had been using 60 hz refresh rates.

"better" is your opinion. I look at a 50" 1080 TV at the store and I dunno, the image just looks a little better than I remember my 27" Sony Trinitron looking.

If you think tv's in a store look good, then you're not really in a position to comment on picture quality. You need a calibrated display in a light controlled environment showing reference material to really assess picture quality. Big box stores tend to use the brightest most vivid color settings to attract naive consumers.
 
That's all it needs to have. Substantial difference in weight and size means more desk space, more options for installations, and oddball things like, I dunno.. smartphones.

So much smugness... :rolleyes:


So one thread of someone complaining about CRT's == people have been going blind for years? My wife doesn't like her iPhone display because she thinks it causes her eye-strain. Does this mean that people have been going blind for looking at iPhone displays?

"better" is your opinion. I look at a 50" 1080 TV at the store and I dunno, the image just looks a little better than I remember my 27" Sony Trinitron looking.

Spacediver had some measurements of his FW900. I think it got around 10,000:1 contrast. Or thereabouts. I know my own Samsung TV was able to achieve over that after calibration. Maybe I saved the measurements, maybe not - I can't remember. Most LCD's don't even touch that.

By "functional" I mean that the screen provides some perk that is so overwhelming that despite the difficulty in obtaining a new CRT, it would be worth the effort. CRTs have none.

No kidding? Black levels, motion clarity, color accuracy - that's all I need. Oh yeah - not having input lag is nice too, but it's not that big a deal to me. I don't need < 1 ms lag times as I'm not a pro gamer.

Again - you're still arguing ergonomics here. We're past that. We know CRT's are space hogs. And yet we still put up with it because guess what - it offers something for that consumed space! :eek:
 
I measured my black level at 0.000632 cd/m^2. If I raised peak luminance to 100 nits, that's a sequential contrast of over 150,000:1. Arguably overkill in many situations, but very cool. It's really nice to be in a light controlled room and when the screen goes black, to actually not notice any glow whatsoever.
 
i believe that the thread topic of locating manufacturers of CRTs capable of meeting the demand is way more relevant than flame baiting CRT lovers/haters. so far we have located a 17" 1600x1200 supplier, which while not Fw900-epic stuff, is enough for the " infinite contrast/zero lag/zero blur" crowd. cosidering that they woudl have a FOB price ~$35 this thread is not as crazy as it appeared at its start
 
So much smugness... :rolleyes:



So one thread of someone complaining about CRT's == people have been going blind for years? My wife doesn't like her iPhone display because she thinks it causes her eye-strain. Does this mean that people have been going blind for looking at iPhone displays?



Spacediver had some measurements of his FW900. I think it got around 10,000:1 contrast. Or thereabouts. I know my own Samsung TV was able to achieve over that after calibration. Maybe I saved the measurements, maybe not - I can't remember. Most LCD's don't even touch that.



No kidding? Black levels, motion clarity, color accuracy - that's all I need. Oh yeah - not having input lag is nice too, but it's not that big a deal to me. I don't need < 1 ms lag times as I'm not a pro gamer.

Again - you're still arguing ergonomics here. We're past that. We know CRT's are space hogs. And yet we still put up with it because guess what - it offers something for that consumed space! :eek:

You forgot to mention this new prototype CRT does 3d and displays life like images, more real than any plasma or OLED , even comes with Smell-O-Vision to get that lifelike smell coming from your CRT. In this case the image of the black cat will give you an authentic pet cat smell in your home ....this has only able to become possible recently with CRT due to popular demand from CRT fanboys. Also CRTs make great pet homes ;), now I'd be all over this versus my 64" Samsung F8500 .plasma . Unfortunately just like SED technology , the big CRT manufactures Sony, panasonic, Samsung decided that it was too real and life like when displaying pictures and people might show symptoms or suffer from anexity , stroke, allergic reactions, and seizures from the sudden excitement visual intensity these monitors would bring into homes. So in the end to avoid future lawsuits from the consumer they decided to cut production and move on to plasma and LED technology. I forgot to mention a crate has popped up in Bangladesh and might not be FDA approved so watch out. If you have kids running around or you have not had children yet be weary that this might not come with the necessary components to shield X-ray radiation coming from the TV housing. Just be thankful for Viagra when owning this set, if, you are a gamer just be prepared for your future when your significant other asks why you are "cold fish" during intimate sessions.


×
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision


recycler_ecran_crt.jpg
 
Last edited:
i believe that the thread topic of locating manufacturers of CRTs capable of meeting the demand is way more relevant than flame baiting CRT lovers/haters. so far we have located a 17" 1600x1200 supplier, which while not Fw900-epic stuff, is enough for the " infinite contrast/zero lag/zero blur" crowd. cosidering that they woudl have a FOB price ~$35 this thread is not as crazy as it appeared at its start

You're right. Back on topic then. What's the minimum quantity for purchase?
 
i believe that the thread topic of locating manufacturers of CRTs capable of meeting the demand is way more relevant than flame baiting CRT lovers/haters. so far we have located a 17" 1600x1200 supplier, which while not Fw900-epic stuff, is enough for the " infinite contrast/zero lag/zero blur" crowd. cosidering that they woudl have a FOB price ~$35 this thread is not as crazy as it appeared at its start

The thing is, those CRT's were probably manufactured 10 years ago and have been sitting in a warehouse ever since. They wouldn't be able to recoup the costs of shipping them. I imagine that there are no more factories capable of producing a Hi-Fidelity multisync CRT computer monitor. I doubt there are any companies making 480i CRT TV's either. I think the last time I saw one of those in an American store was 2007 or 2008.

Just buy what CRT's you can on craigslist and hold out for OLED like me.
 
Back
Top