Crossfire or Misfire

• Crossfire

Votes: 75 16.7%
  • Misfire

Votes: 373 83.3%

• Total voters

PRIME1

2[H]4U
So the reviews are out. What does everyone think?

Personally I think there were a lot of problems such as the res limitation, dongle, master card, motherboard, availability, etc. and I don't think these will be fixed in the next week for the R520 launch. However, this first step may smooth out well by the R600 launch.

So discuss the reviews in the other 2 threads about the release. Here discuss if you think it was worth the wait and if you think it will improve next week with the R520 release. Oh and vote in the poll.

Misfire. I agree it more than likley won't be fixed for R520/R580.

Misfire, but only for the current generation and then only because it came out so late and with so many bugs. In terms of performance for price and future upgradability, it makes no sense to go dual x800 series. I think Crossfire will succeed in the long run because I don't think the R520 will share Crossfire's resolution/refresh rate limitations. In addition, drivers will be more mature by then, so hopefully the bugs will dissappear. Can't wait to find out.

CrossFire for the x800 series is too little too late...the resolution limitation is absolutely ridiculous...I don't know why they even bothered...

R520 is where CrossFire will have its chance to shine...I'll wait for that before passing judgement on the whole thing...but in its current incarnation...CrossFire is just sad

Misfire - too little, too late.
However there is still a shot for Crossfire to be redeemed with the next-gen cards. Although judging by the benchmarks posted here today, of the x1800xl scoring lower than the GT, that might be difficult to do.

misfire
looks like the stories concerning res limitations were true. such a shame. i have been using an matx radeon xpress 200 board in my x-qpack for around 6 months and its a great, stable board. wish they could have gotten it together.

very truly yours,
politenessman

number 1, all cpus 3000mhz and under, all gpus(my core/mem class), all drivers, all os's
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1253354

I'd go as far to say "Backfire" though thats not an option - the poor CrossFire launch seems to be killing off any hype that ATI created in the past week for R520.

I can live with 1600X1200 and 60hz.
I like the way that CrossFire does not NEED profiles for games.

Running on 6 out of 8 cylinders that's for sure.

If they polish it up over a couple months I'll rethink my opinion of it. Remember that SLI had its quirks and problems too.

I'm torn. Now for the x800 series...yea..feels a BIT too late especially after the release of the 7800 series.

As to the limitions...from a personal level. My LCD is native 1600x1200 and with DVI connection only have a refresh rate of 60hz so it doesn't bother me. But I can obviously see how that can hurt people's feelings.

I'm waiting to vote.

Well actually for the x800series *thumbs down* Truly in the game of video cards....what's the point.

*looking to R520*

Misfire, but theres room for improvement.
1) 1600x1200 @ 60Hz? Cmon, thats self explanatory.
2) Install procedures? Hopefully theyll get easier as time progreses and wont even need a dongle.
3) Price? It better get lower as SLi is looking very favorable right now due to lower prices (even though theyve been out longer and ATi is known for overpricing their stuff)
4) Its benchmarked w/ older technology. Wait for X1800XT to see tru results for SLi's competition, although im still on nVidias side.

It was interesting to see boosts in games like Need for Speed. Seems certain games where SLI gives little to no boost, Crossfire really hikes up the frames. They have GOT TO work some of the bad bad bugs (crashing) and limitations (16x12 @ 60hz) out of this be4 the new X1800 class of cards hit the market. They gotta!!

mentok1982 said:

Yeah, but at the same time...would be nice to be able to control the rendering modes...we went from SLI which had to be tweaked to XFire which CAN'T be tweaked...there has to be a happy medium in here somewhere...

i know crossfire is extremely late, but its performance is better then dual 6800U's so i can't deny its power.

mentok1982 said:
Read this @ Techreport.....
Unfortunately, the default SuperTiling mode doesn't scale well at all, in our experience, so the prospect of CrossFire "just working" with any application whatsoever seems a little bit far-fetched.

If you compare it to the same generation of cards as NV, it's as good as or superior. Especially if you're running an LCD with high resolutions. I run at 1680x1050@60hz in all games so a 60hz limitation isn't hurting anything for me...X850 performance is outstanding with crossfire in games, not to mention 3dmark

As far as I know, the R520 is using a different composting chip and does not have the 1600x1200@60hz limitation...

ATi got owned this time, But X1800XT will decide all..... If it totally pwns 2x7800GTX in SLi, I think we will forgive some of the mistakes ATi has done.

But 1600x1200 at 60hz is shocking =|

have some of you guys forgotten???

Even though the xfire x8xx is a little faster or overall faster or slower, (doesn't matter) It doesn't have the IQ that the 6xxx has. with future games the x8xx will be crap for IQ compared to the 6xxx series. So as i see it xfire for the x8xx series is a waste of money.

damstr said:
i know crossfire is extremely late, but its performance is better then dual 6800U's so i can't deny its power.
I think you need to go back and read the reviews, because it lost in many games.

You guys are overreacting. The X800 Cross Fire is pretty much a beta product of the real Cross Fire. Cross Fire was made when ATI was unde presure to get Dual GPU out and they tried and actually made a working product with a Card that was not meant to have support for it. Its really quite impressive that the ATi guys made X800 Cross fire as well as they did. Its performance was rather impressive in most games, sometimes even beating out the 6800U SLi Setup. Its more flexible which I dont see why people see that as bad. All it means is that you have more options. Of course the X800 Cross Fire is a waste but so is 6600GT Sli... Just wait for X1800 seiries and all will either be better or worse lets hope for better.

{NG}Fidel said:
You guys are overreacting. The X800 Cross Fire is pretty much a beta product of the real Cross Fire. Cross Fire was made when ATI was unde presure to get Dual GPU out and they tried and actually made a working product with a Card that was not meant to have support for it. Its really quite impressive that the ATi guys made X800 Cross fire as well as they did. Its performance was rather impressive in most games, sometimes even beating out the 6800U SLi Setup. Its more flexible which I dont see why people see that as bad. All it means is that you have more options. Of course the X800 Cross Fire is a waste but so is 6600GT Sli... Just wait for X1800 seiries and all will either be better or worse lets hope for better.

Ok when you say you're making something a year ago...then paper launch it 6 months ago...then finally release it today...it SHOULDN'T BE BETA.

I love how you're just jumping right in making excuses for ATi...x8x0 crossfire is what it is...just let it be...no need to sugarcoat it...

And yeah, the fact that they could splice CrossFire together in a year is pretty impressive...what would have been more impressive? if they did it without the resolution limitation, without the dongle, and actually came up with a good plan from the beginning instead of letting nvidia get the drop on them...

And beating 6800U SLI would be impressive...if they were doing it a YEAR ago...

*shakes head*

Beta? :rolleyes:

EnderW said:
looks sloppy
QFT

I've always thought that it looked rather sloppy (word I used was inelegent) to have the huge dongle hanging out and not to mention the problems with the ATI southbridge. :(

So true, so true....

{NG}Fidel said:

LOL It's not "impressive" any way you look at it.

A person purchasing an X800/X850 crossfire setup should just slit his/her wrists and die.

^eMpTy^ said:
Ok when you say you're making something a year ago...then paper launch it 6 months ago...then finally release it today...it SHOULDN'T BE BETA.

I love how you're just jumping right in making excuses for ATi...x8x0 crossfire is what it is...just let it be...no need to sugarcoat it...

And yeah, the fact that they could splice CrossFire together in a year is pretty impressive...what would have been more impressive? if they did it without the resolution limitation, without the dongle, and actually came up with a good plan from the beginning instead of letting nvidia get the drop on them...

*shakes head*

SLI was paper launched in what, early summer 2004? When it did launch all those months later in JANUARY it had support for 5 fuckin titles and thats it. (btw the most popular and first NF4 launch board for it, the A8N-Delux, has chipset fans burning out all over the place). Thats all SLI could do. Its craptasticness lasted a full 2 months before Nvidia fixed it. Thats goddamn pathetic for a retail launch dont you think? Launching something for all that money and having it pretty much not working for months. CrossFire though? Ohhhh its the boogyman, Nvidias launch was clean as a whistle now and this? Just a fuckin mess to you! Your memory is conveniently empty when it comes to what Nvidia did in their launch, no pun intended.

Nvidia launched a retail product with no real support a full 8 months after it was paper launched. They left it that way for 60 days. ATI is launching CrossFire a full 5-6 months after it was paper launched and the problems with it can be counted on a single hand..

Please stop "sugarcoating" your own argument. nvidias launch was a freakin joke compared to this. Raise your hand if you thought SLI was awesome with a full 5 games and 2 benchmarks supported for 60 days at launch! At least CrossFire is going to launch working with titles.

Anyone who needs to have their brain re-fired to remember Nvidias launch can get a good reminder from this:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

In the end what we have here is SLI matured for 2/3 of a year going against a launch product where dual card setups were never a plan but simply made to work. Your comparison as you call it, or the faults of ATI in their current setup are miniscule when you step back a moment and realize what you're comparing it too. If we were to compare how each companies dual card setups were working at launch you'd see that Nvidia's, was far more of a mess then this.

Problem is Shifra, ATi doesn't have the luxury of not going up against SLi at SLi's current state. So it is valid to look at Crossfire against what SLi is now, not back when SLi came out. There was no presure on nV to get SLi out year and half ago, and actually they still don't have much pressure now. But they got it out and got it going very nicely, ATi is behind they should have all the kinks worked out before they release Crossfire otherwise its like the 8500, its better but only after its outdated.

razor1 said:
Problem is Shifra, ATi doesn't have the luxury of not going up against SLi at SLi's current state. So it is valid to look at Crossfire against what SLi is now, not back when SLi came out.

then you'd be stupid to judge like that. If CrossFire picks up speed and fixes anywhere near as fast as SLI (keeping in mind the biggest gripe is hardware limited to X8 cards and surely wont be on the R520), then ATI has launched a superior product in a shorter amount of time. The gains are there, the drivers launch monthly so profiles should grow fast so we can see bigger boosts rather then default modes...

Its late, my point is that 6 months from now or even a week from now when the R520 NDA goes down, if CrossFire is up and running and the most we can find to complain about is the way you have to install the cards and drivers one time, or that ATI opted for a master/slave thing early on because they dont have native support yet, is the best we can do for complaints. We're looking at a very capable SLI varient. And this complaining right now will be totally forgotten, just like SLI's many shortcomings in its launch apparently is to most people.

Shifra said:
then you'd be stupid to judge like that. If CrossFire picks up speed and fixes anywhere near as fast as SLI (keeping in mind the biggest gripe is hardware limited to X8 cards and surely wont be on the R520), then ATI has launched a superior product in a shorter amount of time. The gains are there, the drivers launch monthly so profiles should grow fast so we can see bigger boosts rather then default modes...

Its late, my point is that 6 months from now or even a week from now when the R520 NDA goes down, if CrossFire is up and running and the most we can find to complain about is the way you have to install the cards and drivers one time, or that ATI opted for a master/slave thing early on because they dont have native support yet, is the best we can do for complaints. We're looking at a very capable SLI varient. And this complaining right now will be totally forgotten, just like SLI's many shortcomings in its launch apparently is to most people.

Shifra you launch when you launch, nVidia had the luxury to iron out kinks, Ati does not. They launch a 3 year old tech with SM 2 support (don't count 2b coz no one gives a shit about it), which costs more than a generation ahead product which has more features and more longevity. Why would anyone even consider getting a crossfire setup simply beats me. The damn thing is locked at 60 Hz @ 1600*1200 wtf? The thing compares to a single 7800GTX in most benches. The product will be absolute crap come X1800XT and the like. Boning 1000-1200 bucks on a crossfire setup today sounds as plausible as tying yourself to a train track and hoping you would survive somehow.

Shifra said:

Like I said its stupid on ATi's part to release it now since its like the 8500, without all the kinks worked out its bad publicity for them.

P.S. I would like to meet the 26 ATi !!!!!!s who are trying to defend this worthless launch. No really.

KickAssCop said:
P.S. I would like to meet the 26 ATi !!!!!!s who are trying to defend this worthless launch. No really.
:) I'm one of em it will get better but its going to be awhile

KickAssCop said:

Agreed....

/me would love to slap some sence into them ;)

razor1 said:
:) I'm one of em it will get better but its going to be awhile

Ok good, just a friendly discussion. Would you rather spend the 1000-1200 USD for an SLi setup that is a generation ahead, is more mature and has SM3, OpenEXR HDR, transparency AA, and a few other nice features like widescreen resolutions at refresh rates of your choice?

Given this fact, why would you bone your dollars on a crossfire setup?

KickAssCop said:
Ok good, just a friendly discussion. Would you rather spend the 1000-1200 USD for an SLi setup that is a generation ahead, is more mature and has SM3, OpenEXR HDR, transparency AA, and a few other nice features like widescreen resolutions at refresh rates of your choice?

Given this fact, why would you bone your dollars on a crossfire setup?

you're 100% right I wouldn't buy it now, its really bad timing on ATi to release it now, because the market for SLi is pretty much mature, and by releasing cross fire now its not going to eat away from SLi yet, they should have just waited and made cross fire better it would have given ATi much more impact.

Shifra said:
SLI was paper launched in what, early summer 2004? When it did launch all those months later in JANUARY it had support for 5 fuckin titles and thats it. (btw the most popular and first NF4 launch board for it, the A8N-Delux, has chipset fans burning out all over the place). Thats all SLI could do. Its craptasticness lasted a full 2 months before Nvidia fixed it. Thats goddamn pathetic for a retail launch dont you think? Launching something for all that money and having it pretty much not working for months. CrossFire though? Ohhhh its the boogyman, Nvidias launch was clean as a whistle now and this? Just a fuckin mess to you! Your memory is conveniently empty when it comes to what Nvidia did in their launch, no pun intended.

thank god it wasn't intended, cuz that's a pretty lame pun...I never said the SLI launch was flawless...I just said that ATi is not launching a BETA product and it should not be viewed that way...ATi is launching CrossFire with a lot of bugs...much like nVidia did with SLI...the trick is...nVidia did it a YEAR AGO when they were the only game in town...now that it's ATi's turn up, they're going to be measured against nvidia...that's how it is...

And I don't care about the paper launch, no biggie, I was merely pointing out that this isn't beta hardware, this is a full retail launch after a paper launch... != beta

Shifra said:
Nvidia launched a retail product with no real support a full 8 months after it was paper launched. They left it that way for 60 days. ATI is launching CrossFire a full 5-6 months after it was paper launched and the problems with it can be counted on a single hand..

Did you grow up next to a nuclear power plant?

Shifra said:
Please stop "sugarcoating" your own argument. nvidias launch was a freakin joke compared to this. Raise your hand if you thought SLI was awesome with a full 5 games and 2 benchmarks supported for 60 days at launch! At least CrossFire is going to launch working with titles.

Again, when SLI launched it was the only game in town. And your precious game compatibility comes at the price of lackluster performance where a specific profile hasn't been set in AI...did you bother to read any reviews today?

Shifra said:
Anyone who needs to have their brain re-fired to remember Nvidias launch can get a good reminder from this:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

Yeah, everybody take it easy on CrossFire cuz nVidia had problems A YEAR AGO.

Shifra said:
In the end what we have here is SLI matured for 2/3 of a year going against a launch product where dual card setups were never a plan but simply made to work. Your comparison as you call it, or the faults of ATI in their current setup are miniscule when you step back a moment and realize what you're comparing it too. If we were to compare how each companies dual card setups were working at launch you'd see that Nvidia's, was far more of a mess then this.

Ok so the fact that SLI is way better doesn't matter because it's been around for longer?

It doesn't matter when or how SLI was launched, all that matters is that SLI is CrossFire's competition...today, now...and today, now, CrossFire just got it's ass beaten...

Furthermore...I advise you to suck it up and call this argument a loss...look at the poll...look at every review on the net...X8X0 CrossFire is a bust...no matter how much you point your many fingers at SLI's 2004 launch...it's not going to change that right now CrossFire is inferior in just about every measurable way...

Shifra said:

Launched a superior product in a shorter amount of time? What the hell are you smoking? They launched CrossFire a year after SLI and it SUCKS.

Shifra said:

now you're talking...but remember this thread is about x800/x850 crossfire...R520 has yet to be seen...and if R520 doesn't beat the GTX by a significant margin...then once again, nobody is going to go for a CrossFire setup given its current buggy state (and I'm in no big rush to get an ATI motherboard either)...

X800/X850 CrossFire is a steaming pile of doodoo that should never have been released...it's up to R520 to pick up the mess...

^eMpTy^ said:
It doesn't matter when or how SLI was launched, all that matters is that SLI is CrossFire's competition...today, now...and today, now, CrossFire just got it's ass beaten...

That's the point. ATI knew very well that they are late to the party and they knew and know that their competition will be SLI at the time they are launching Crossfire.
It doesn't matter at what state SLI or whatever was when it was launched. It also doesn't matter for R520 what price the G70GTX had when it launched. R520 wil be compared performance and featurewise with the G70 GTX on the basis of pricing when R520 will be launched and not on the basis 6 months ago.
Consumers out for buying one of these new sollutions need realistic and informative comparisions when making a buying decision. What they do not need is fiction or games like "but back 12 months ago the story was this or that blah......."
That doesn't matter.
ATI will be compared directly to the competition here and today and it will be the same vice versa.

So too sum it all up Crossfire looks pretty unimpressive. 12 months late - and you have to remember how ATI stated directly to the press and customers 12 months ago how SLI was not needed - buggy, too expensive in comparision to what is available from the competition today and with rediculous limitation like the 1600*1200 60HZ thing.
A real blow if you ask me and not worth considering. Maybe that will change with newer products but for the X8xx series it's a joke.

ATI really needs to get its act together. In my view there are too many blows latly.
no SM3 and HDR for 12 months now, X800XT-Press Edition, X700XT, crossfire, R520 delay. Well the people with a real sense just have to look at ATIs horrible financial performance lately and the picture is very clear because there are reasons for that and those i mentioned above.

Back