Crossfire bridge(s) How many?

FranDaMan

n00b
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
48
I have a pair of 5770's (couldn't wait any longer for the 5850 to reappear) and have them in x-fire. My question is the bridge. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether to use one or two. There seems to be agreement that you don't "need" to use two but is there a reason to use both if you have them? Less chatter between cards, performance boost in any way, etc...

I'm using the single bridge now and all seems fine but would happily slap the second one on if there were a reason to.

Thnx
 
One bridge is all you need. I sometimes got better benches with 2 but saw no difference in games.
 
Its not designed to need 2, the reason theres 2 bridge slots is to allow chaining of cards to get quadfire.

However I think the general consensus between crossfire owners is that if you have both whack them on, it does no harm, I doubt it helps and if it does it would be pretty minimal, I run with both mine on and never had issue.
 
The [H] review of xfire 5870 reported better stability with both bridges on, for a dual 5870 setup.

Compared to just one bridge.


I know SLI can, but can you xfire two lower end cards together without a bridge?
 
The pins on each connector are directly connected to one another. Therefore by adding a second crossfire connector all you are doing is decreasing the resistance between the cards by doubling the connection size. it should not make any difference unless there is a high resistance somewhere in the connection, either in one or both cards or in the connector itself.

cliffs:
it shouldnt help
it has helped for some
there is no reason not to put both on if you have them
 
Back
Top