• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire 5770 PSU question

|Tch0rT|

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
1,539
I currently have a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550 watt PSU. Will it be enough power for my Q9550 o/c to 4ghz with H50 cooler and two 5770's crossfire? I currently game at 1680 x 1050 but may move to 1920 x 1080/1200 at some point in the future.
 
Ok, the Corsair 550VX has 504W available on the +12V rail. Most major PC parts draw power mostly from the +12V rail:

193W - C2Q Q9550
216W - 2 x HD 5770
---
409W for just the GPU and CPU alone.

The CPU power figure was taken from the TDP rating (130W) + the 63W increase in power usage that the Q9505 saw when it was OC'd to 3.9Ghz:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/power-consumption-overclocking_8.html#sect0

The GPU figure was taken from this review as well:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010_3.html#sect0

That would leave about 95W for the mobo, HDD, DVD burner, etc. Slightly doable but you would be pushing the PSU.
 
That's pretty much what I figured. I just wanted to make sure. I might as well grab the 750 watt Corsair and but the 550 watt in the build for my wife.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top