• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Critique my next build

Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
808
Will be building in the next few months or maybe summer of 2011. My current rig is in my sig. If I do go with this build I will give my current rig to my parents.

Main System

CPU: AM3 Thuban 3.3ghz
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB KIT x2
GPU: Sapphire 6870 1GB
PSU: Corsair HX850 Modular
HDD: Unknown, help me on this one since I haven't been paying attention to hard drives these past 18 months. $200-$300 budget for these
Windows 7 Home premium

Price without hard drives: $1100


Liquid cooling system

Swiftech apogee XT
EK-FC9870
XSPC reservoir for 2x Laing ddc
Laing MCP355 x2
Yateloon 120x25mm Medium speed x6
Blue Feser F1 $20
Green Feser F1 $20
Swiftech 320
Swiftech 220
Mountainmods Monticle 18

approximately: $900

Total price: ~$2200

All help and criticism needed.

Thanks,
Mark
 
Last edited:
You're starting way too early for planning the main system. Whatever parts you select today or we recommend today will not be the same parts we recommend a month from now let alone summer of 2011 or a few months

Considering the specs of your current rig, you're better off waiting till summer of 2011 and asking for build help then. By then, there will be faster CPUs that'll be worth the costs of upgrade. As it stands now, that AMD setup is not worth the costs of upgrading at all. In fact, for gaming, all you need to do is add the HD 6870 or HD 6950 to that Q9550 setup and you'll be set
 
I was thinking that too and just building my parents an atom 330 pc since all they do is search the web. If I were to go that route, I would probably switch over to SSD for OS and have a PCI-E based SSD for games. I'd also upgrade my power supply since it doesn't have all the connectors I need/want.

What are the top hard drives nowadays? Even though I asked above, I'd like to know just for reference.

Atom build:
Silverstone SG05-B
Zotac Atom 330
Transfer my current ram/HDD/OS/monitor to here.

Approximately $275
 
Last edited:
Back
Top