Critique my Build please

Rocksta107

Limp Gawd
You are my last line of defense!

I saved up $1600 for a new system to replace my aging Nforce 2 Athlon 3000 GeForce 6800 GT build and feel as though I'm ready to go. Someone pleeeease let me know if I'm making any huge mistakes:

Samsung SH-S202N DVD player w/ Lightscribe
NZXT Hush Case (I do a lot of audio recording, need a silent case)
WD Caviar 640 GB x2 for Raid 1
ASUS GTX 280 (I know it's expensive, but it fits my budget and I want a single card solution so bite me!)
Soundblaster X-Fi Platiunum Fatal1ty Champ (I game and my professional sound card doesn't do MIDI so go figure)
Corsair 750 TX
Saitek Eclipse
Razer Copperhead (It's still their best mouse, yes?_
4 GB OCZ Platinum DDR 1066
FoxConn P35A
Q6600 G0

Let me know! I'll post it as my sig when it's ordered.

(REPOSTED From cases and modding to a more approriate forum)

Ditch the DDR2 1066 RAM. You don't need such fast RAM even if you're planning on overclocking with the Q6600. I recommend getting this RAM set:
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $80

And what is it about that motherboard that you like?

It's nothing special, mainly it has a great MIR that puts it at only $65. Everyone I've looked at who has one seems to like it just fine. My understanding is that any decent P35 should be a fairly solid stable board and should be able to OC a Q6600 to about 3.0 Ghz just fine.

It's nothing special, mainly it has a great MIR that puts it at only $65. Everyone I've looked at who has one seems to like it just fine. My understanding is that any decent P35 should be a fairly solid stable board and should be able to OC a Q6600 to about 3.0 Ghz just fine.

Personally I'm not a fan of MIR but if you are, go for it. The Intel P45 chipset is out now and they OC a bit better than the P35 motherboards. I recommend these motherboards:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $96
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $114
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $146
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $150
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $185

Just to help you out: If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second Gigabite port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, and high overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you need 8 SATAs and like the DS3R but don't need support for 16GB of RAM , get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38.

So it looks like the Foxconn board doesn't support RAID and has PCI-E 1.1 which may not be enough for the 280 GTX. Going to have to go with the MSI board I thinks.

Back