Creators update start garbage

M76

[H]F Junkie
So despite "defer feature updates" was ticked in windows update settings the creators update has forced itself on my computer. Big blue window came up stating that I MUST install this update now, it cannot be skipped. With the only available button being install now, not even X in the corner to close the window. Well actually I could get rid of it by pressing escape on the keyboard but it kept nagging me every day. So I installed this crap.

But now the start menu behaviour is completely fucked up, it used to list the most recently used apps in there, instad of that what I get now is every piece of garbage installed in alphabetical order, and the only other option being pinned apps.

So how the fuck do I get back the previous functionality?

Is microsoft hell bent on making windows worse and worse?

Oh and of course file associations have been reset FFS.

I've done the update on a number of machines and the Start Menu really didn't change that much, probably stuck Candy Crush back in there, but that's about it.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/defer

You deferred the update until you couldn't defer it any longer. That's basically what "defer" is. It's not -never-, it's -later-. Later.. is now.

The Start menu didn't change in functionality from 1607, so unless you managed to prevent that from installing and were still on 1511, It should be the same. If you made dramatic changes to the system you may have interfered with a mechanism it used to re-populate the Start menu recently-used. I dunno.

M76, you haven't enabled tablet mode have you?

Make sure Tablet mode is disabled in the Notification menu:

Also make sure Start full screen is disabled:

mqJMizFh.png

M76, you haven't enabled tablet mode have you?

Make sure Tablet mode is disabled in the Notification menu:

Also make sure Start full screen is disabled:

mqJMizFh.png

Thanks,tablet mode is turned off, full screen is also turned off. The "Show most used apps" option is greyed out. But regardless it should show recently opened items at least.

Thanks,tablet mode is turned off, full screen is also turned off. The "Show most used apps" option is greyed out. But regardless it should show recently opened items at least.

Are you able to provide a screenshot?

If you create a new account does the Start Menu come up as normal (I bet it does)?

Super simple. Settings -> Personalization -> Start -> "Show most used apps"

If this is grayed out, then you have to go to Privacy -> General -> "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results"

If this is grayed out, then you have to go to Privacy -> General -> "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results"
I've found that meanwhile. But I'm curios if enabling that "tracking" only enables local tracking, or does that mean the data gets sent to Microsoft "for analysis" and sale.

But regardless the menu doesn't look like the one in first picture, so most used apps are not on the left, but on the top of the alphabetical list shown in the second image, with the same small font and icons. And doesn't actually show the apps that I use the most, but default garbage windows apps only. Maybe it needs time to collect data to update or what? The setting has been enabled for a few hours now I've been launching various apps from the desktop, but those don't even show up there. Only things like maps, feedback, tips, which I've never used in my entire life. Plus calc, paint, snipping tool, which I haven't used since enabling data tracking. Or perhaps "Show most used apps" now only pertains to apps from the garbage store?

Update: I found out that in only shows apps that I start through the start menu, nothing else. So apps I run from the desktop, or quick launch, never gets listed there no matter how often I use them.

Last edited:
Everything you do on Win10 goes to Microsoft for analysis and sale regardless of settings so don't worry.

I have no idea how all my 10+ Win10 systems manage to not explode after all these updates.

Btw, take a look at the advanced threat protection coming in the next update. Pretty sweet security features. I'd recommend not deferring that update.

I tried disabling this on my own Windows machine, made no difference, my Start menu definitely looked nothing like M76's Start menu after the CU. Even with it disabled I still get 'most used' applications.

There's more to that Start menu than just a simple setting.

I tried disabling this on my own Windows machine, made no difference, my Start menu definitely looked nothing like M76's Start menu after the CU. Even with it disabled I still get 'most used' applications.

There's more to that Start menu than just a simple setting.

Well for me it worked, so I don’t know what to tell you other than to make sure you disabled the right one. Maybe a restart as well? Most used was gone for me when I checked the settings today and it wasn’t in the start menu.

Well for me it worked, so I don’t know what to tell you other than to make sure you disabled the right one. Maybe a restart as well? Most used was gone for me when I checked the settings today and it wasn’t in the start menu.

Sorry, you're right, I wasn't paying enough attention when I flipped the switch.

Default:

Show most used apps disabled:

1hGOp0Ih.jpg

In a similar vein, the update corrupted my Start menu. Clicking on Start button and no menu appeared. I had to rebuild it.

I wonder what the 'most used apps' for my windows would be. It would probably be Steam that automatically loads on boot lol. I haven't actually used that either (or booted windows for a few months).

In a similar vein, the update corrupted my Start menu. Clicking on Start button and no menu appeared. I had to rebuild it.

That's actually very common, I have to rectify that issue all the time. You click the Start button and nothing happens, the right click advanced menu works though...

Back