• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Creative

eli

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
1,648
Has anyone compared the X-fi series against the emu 0404 card in terms of 2 channel music listening?
 
emu will get more votes i am pretty sure. gaming on the otherhand will be opposite.
 
Doesn't Creative own EMU? The X-Fi platinum edition, or whatever the best is called, has some pretty hardcore DACs...
 
NulloModo said:
Doesn't Creative own EMU? The X-Fi platinum edition, or whatever the best is called, has some pretty hardcore DACs...
It's the Elite Pro, and it has 4x CS4398 DACs. The 0404 has the flagship AKM DAC.
 
I wonder how it competes for two channel DVD watching
 
AdamW said:
I thought the higher end X-Fis had the same DAC as the 1212?
The Elite Pro and 1212M have same DACs.

The Fatality, Platinum, and XM have the same DAC.
 
any other opinions on the emu 0404 against the x-fi's for two channel music and movies?

edit: also, what about the higher end emu cards that no one ever mentions.....like the emu 1820? how do they perform
 
Sucks; Creative is best for gaming (highest FPS + Compatability) but completely sucks for everything else. While the opposite is true for even the cheapest of budget solution cards. Creative has it's paws clenched tightly around the consumer's nuts.
 
Also, who cares about DAC's when Optical bit perfect output has existed for years. Creative doesn't seem to care.

160964.jpg


^is this card from 1992? Where the hell is the optical output?
 
peacetilence said:
Also, who cares about DAC's when Optical bit perfect output has existed for years. Creative doesn't seem to care.

160964.jpg


^is this card from 1992? Where the hell is the optical output?

It doesn't need it. There is no effective difference between optical digital out and coaxial digital out. Creative just markets the optical out as a high end feature for their cards with the breakout box.
 
Nullo I am no expert on these things. Quite the opposite! But can Coaxal SPDIF pass through DD and DTS signals to a reciever? (IE, when you put in a DVD the reciever detects the bit perfect DD or DTS signal) I just figured optical was the best! If coaxal can do these things in the same quality as optical I wouldn't care if I made the switch (if the sound card was worth it that is.)
 
peacetilence said:
Nullo I am no expert on these things. Quite the opposite! But can Coaxal SPDIF pass through DD and DTS signals to a reciever? (IE, when you put in a DVD the reciever detects the bit perfect DD or DTS signal) I just figured optical was the best! If coaxal can do these things in the same quality as optical I wouldn't care if I made the switch (if the sound card was worth it that is.)

Coaxial can pass anything that optical can. The only potential drawback to coaxial is that it is possible to get some EMF interference on the line over exceptionally long runs, then again, optical has the potential for jitter (especially with cheap-ass cables), but both happen so rarely they can't really be used as a drawback to either, mainly comes down to what inputs your receiver has open.
 
peacetilence said:
Sucks; Creative is best for gaming (highest FPS + Compatability) but completely sucks for everything else. While the opposite is true for even the cheapest of budget solution cards. Creative has it's paws clenched tightly around the consumer's nuts.
Your statement is unfounded in reality. As of late, the quality levels in the Creative line has definately improved, and has even eclipsed other cards, such as the M-Audio Revo 7.1.

Also, we were discussing the EMU 0404, which isn't even a gaming card, but a stereo studio card.
 
the emu series (0404, 1212) of cards are suppose to be very good for the money. i personally think the only reason people shy away from them is because of there drivers that are loaded with crap. Personally I'd rather have big unnecessary drivers then pay more from another company
 
Hmmm my X-Fi Platinum (and I assume everything above it) has optical in/out in the front drive bays. It's only the Xtreme Music that doesn't.
 
Justin installed got my x-fi xm and installed it, world of difference over my old aud 2, when I get new speakers its gonna be sweet.
 
Back
Top