Creative T40 vs M-Audio AV30 vs. M-Audio AV40?

pojut

Gawd
We're going to be moving into an apartment in the next few months from a townhouse, and I want to get a good 2.0 setup (don't want the sub in an apartment). I have two questions for you folks:

How do the Creative GigaWorks T40s hold up against the M-Audio AV30s?

How do the M-Audio AV30s hold up against the AV40s? Is the extra cost/space necessitated by the AV40s worth it?

Thanks everyone, this place is such an awesome resource:cool:

AV40s > others listed, easily.

Obviously :) What I'm curious about are the differences between the AV30 and AV40...I do have some minor space concerns, so if the difference is negligible I would likely go with the 30s, but if the difference is big I would likely go with the 40s...also curious about how the T40s stack up against them both. Based on what I've read around here, they aren't as good, but I'm interested in exactly why not...again, space concerns. Thanks fro your response though :cool:

It's substantial. Midrange and bass will be much better on the 40s thanks to the larger midwoofer and cabinet, and distortion will be reduced because the larger cabinet gives a smoother spectrum of internal modes of vibration.

i have went from Creative T40's series 2 to the M-audio AV40's

and it was big difference. The sound is so much clearer and crisper onthe AV40's
higherly recommend those out of all the ones you have listed as they are worth the money !

I agree, 'specially for only $25-35 more, it's well worth stepping up to the AV40. Samson has some pretty nice models as well, some of which are somewhat smaller than the AV40 but compare favorably with it, even price-wise (look for StudioDock 3i or 4i or MediaOne 3a or 4a).

M-Audio BX5a's. I had the AV-40's but quickly replaced them with the BX5a's and couldnt be happier. Dont limit yourself. The difference between the 5a's and the 40's is immense and well worth the $$$

the BX5a Suck up 70watts each and have the knobs on the back

they cost $100 more too. so yea i guess they should sound better but thats alot of power being used for something a foot away from your face

Thanks again, everyone! I will likely stay away from the BX5a, primarily because based on the official website it is a studio monitor...while I do some basic Ambient Electronica work for personal consumption, I primarily do gaming and listen to music/watch movies, so the flat response would mostly be a negative for me. I'll likely go to a local music store that has the AV30/AV40s set up and compare them to see if the clarity difference is worth the size difference for me.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here are links to three of my tracks, DRM-free! I have no intention of selling any of my work since I mainly make it "for me", but I would be interested in what you all think :) Let me know!

http://www.livingwithanerd.com/Music/Cold_Signals.mp3

http://www.livingwithanerd.com/Music/Omicron_Ceti.mp3

http://www.livingwithanerd.com/Music/Light_Horizon.mp3

The AV40 is also in their studio monitor series according to the book that came with my AV40's.
As soon as I set up these big black bad-boys on my desk, I was thinking, "Lord Vader, your speakers have arrived!"

I upgraded from this old Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000 set of 4.1 speakers that was hot about nine years ago the difference was so much that I thought my favourite podcast had remixed its intro music.

My friend has the Gigaworks T40 and the main benefit there is that they take up considerably less desk space as they are tall & narrow.

Yeah...until we move into our new place in May, I won't really know how space constrained I will be. It looks like if I have the space, the AV40s are the way to go, and if I don't, go with the T40s. Thanks for the input though!

Out of curiosity, I noticed that the AV40s have different inputs on them..which do you use and what is the sound quality difference?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Take a look at the Alesis 320 USB, digital interface, no soundcard needed,

http://www.alesis.com/m1active320usb

I've seen them for around 90$,

they sound great to me,

have a set in my garage, which is 30 X 32, and have them running off my laptop, and there loud enough,

to really crank it up, they could use a little more power, but that's a big room for a little speaker..

when I get some money, might get the bigger 520 USB and put these in my computer room..

the 40AV are not that much bigger. but i have owned bot the t40 and the AV40's and the AV40's sound a hell of alot better. you will notice it right away.

Out of curiosity, I noticed that the AV40s have different inputs on them..which do you use and what is the sound quality difference?

On the rear they have the normal RCA jacks and a pair of TRS Jacks. I have not tried the TRS. On the front is the headphone jack AUX input.

I've connected the RCA through a Gefen Decoder to get a clean digital signal decoded outside of the machine, but I had some problem with that (due to how the PC interacted with the decoder) so I am thinking of getting an external sound card or something.

I haven't done extensive testing on the AUX IN versus the RCA inputs, but I don't hear a huge difference or anything. The funny thing is that the front AUX IN does not cancel the main inputs. The sounds are mixed! (Karaoke, anyone?)

The TRS connectors are for if you have a balanced source. You almost certainly don't, if you're having to ask.

For an unbalanced source, it should make absolutely zero difference which you use, so I have no clue why you would want to try and track down an RCA to TS/TRS cable or 3.5mm to TS/TRS cable when RCA cables and 3.5mm to RCA cables are cheap and common.

The TRS connectors are for if you have a balanced source. You almost certainly don't, if you're having to ask.

For an unbalanced source, it should make absolutely zero difference which you use, so I have no clue why you would want to try and track down an RCA to TS/TRS cable or 3.5mm to TS/TRS cable when RCA cables and 3.5mm to RCA cables are cheap and common.

Actually, I'm asking because I have a Tannoy powered sub that I would want to pair with them (it's currently attatched to my home theater)...meaning I would use the XLR preamp outs on the sub to run an XLR-TRS cable. The only way this wouldn't happen would be due to a lack of space, in which case I would use the RCA input. If there was a noticible difference though, I would find a way to fit the sub and use the XLR-outs on it even if space was tight.

Thanks for being rude though, I appreciate it.

Paranoid much? Your life must suck if you go through it seeing insult where none is intended all the time.

And are you trying to post trick questions or what? Why would you omit information that you claim to know is relevant?

And are you trying to post trick questions or what? Why would you omit information that you claim to know is relevant?

I didn't realize my own requirements were relevant to any potential difference in quality between inputs on something I don't even own.

Look, I meant nothing by it...there is no reason for us to be dicks about this. Let's start over.

We will be moving in to a new place in a few months. I was thinking about getting a set of Creative T40s due to space concerns, but the opinions of others have convinced me to go with the M-Audio AV40s. Because of the space concerns, I would likely end up just using the RCA inputs...but I was curious about any potential difference in quality/stability between the RCA inputs and the TRS inputs. I have a Tannoy PS110 Pro that has balanced XLR line-level inputs and outputs, although I currently have no way of getting a balanced signal out of my computer (which will hopefully change in the future.)

If there is no significant difference between the build quality of the inputs, I will likely just use the RCA inputs and forgo the sub. If the TRS inputs are of better quality (again, from a build quality point of view), I will make room for the sub and use XLR-TRS cables as a temporary measure until I get a good I/O system for my computer that has balanced inputs/outputs.

I have the AV40s and maybe I'm just more discerning but they don't sound as great as $140 should IMO.

Interesting...what is it about them you don't like?

Nothing particular, but I still have to fiddle with the Equalizer to increase mids and highs. I guess I expected $140 2 channel speakers to be fiddle-free.

Actually, I'm asking because I have a Tannoy powered sub that I would want to pair with them (it's currently attatched to my home theater)...meaning I would use the XLR preamp outs on the sub to run an XLR-TRS cable. The only way this wouldn't happen would be due to a lack of space, in which case I would use the RCA input. If there was a noticible difference though, I would find a way to fit the sub and use the XLR-outs on it even if space was tight.

haha owned

the "you almost certainly don't need X if you have to ask what it's for" is where you came off as a bit of a douche, FYI. I caught it as well. Nothing to do with "paranoia."

lol douche. Anyways, just run a good 3.5" interconnect and be done with it. If you find it lacks bass (doubt it) then run 3.5" to RCA to your sub and RCAs back to your AV40s. You don't have to buy stupid expensive Monster cables either.

Dustin

Back