Creative Labs US Storewide Sale (25% off at checkout) 3 days only.

Quite nice! If you buy the X7, you also get a discount on the XM7 bookshelf speakers. For $97/pair, that's quite a deal!

Are those H7 headphones any good?

I haven't tried them, but IMO you're better off with either "gaming headsets" from:
Sennheiser (PC 350/360/Game Zero/Game One)
Kingston (HyperX series)
Beyerdynamic (MMX 300)
Audio-Technica (ATH-ADG1, AG1, ADG1X, AG1X, or the PDG1/PG1 line).

or, going the ModMic route with a fancy headset (those that don't have a female jack)

or, using a V-Moda BoomPro + a fancy headset (those that do have a female jack).

Simply by specs alone (headset frequency of 20Hz-20KHz), the H7 doesn't look too impressive (that headset frequency is used by the vast majority of "gaming headsets"; the expensive ones as well as the cheap stuff). Not sure what sound card they are using in the USB (possibly a cut down version of the Sound Blaster Z)? If the sound card is good, then it just might be worth it w/the 25% off discount.

Side note: must resist the lure of that Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition ...

Nice price, but I've never understood what problem it solves that makes it worth 300, much less 400 (or 500 for the premium model).
I've looked at it more than once and I always walk away about as confused as when I started reading.

I think it's worth it if you have some form of SLI/Crossfire (especially tri/quad) within your system and don't have the slots (or, just as important, electronic shielding) to support a sound card. For what you are getting is a "mini" all-in-one solution that even a Schiit deck cannot completely solve (in quality of parts, pricing, and convenience when going from headphones/speakers/other devices). With that big 25% coupon, I'll take the X7 that over most Schiit deck setups. The quality of parts that Creative is using in the X7 is really quite high, much better than the vast majority of the Schiit stuff, and even pushing the Bifrost to its limits (but note that the Bifrost is a standalone DAC, only 1/2 of a complete deck, and costs $399!).

Sure, implementation matters just as much (if not more), one can easily (and rightfully) say. In this case, Creative (for once) finally got it (pretty much) all right.

Check out this review here: Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions

That reviewer knows what he's talking about. For $500 big ones on that Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition? Yes, quite high. But for $375 w/free shipping and no tax? Sounds like a pretty good deal ...

Side note 2: Fell for the lure like a fish to good bait and bought the X7 Limited Edition :p If all works well, it'll be replacing my current ASUS Strix Raid Pro DLX, which also has pretty darn good parts/implementation ...

So the microphone in on the X7... do you need your PC hooked up to it via USB for that to work? It's late and I'm tired so maybe that's why I'm having trouble figuring out how that would otherwise work exactly.

The X7 would be perfect for me if it had a remote control. There are a very limited number of good DAC/AMPs that decode Dolby, at least there were not when I was shopping for one a 4-5 months ago.

I think it's worth it if you have some form of SLI/Crossfire (especially tri/quad) within your system and don't have the slots (or, just as important, electronic shielding) to support a sound card. For what you are getting is a "mini" all-in-one solution that even a Schiit deck cannot completely solve (in quality of parts, pricing, and convenience when going from headphones/speakers/other devices). With that big 25% coupon, I'll take the X7 that over most Schiit deck setups. The quality of parts that Creative is using in the X7 is really quite high, much better than the vast majority of the Schiit stuff, and even pushing the Bifrost to its limits (but note that the Bifrost is a standalone DAC, only 1/2 of a complete deck, and costs $399!).

Sure, implementation matters just as much (if not more), one can easily (and rightfully) say. In this case, Creative (for once) finally got it (pretty much) all right.

Check out this review here: Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions

That reviewer knows what he's talking about. For $500 big ones on that Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition? Yes, quite high. But for $375 w/free shipping and no tax? Sounds like a pretty good deal ...

Side note 2: Fell for the lure like a fish to good bait and bought the X7 Limited Edition :p If all works well, it'll be replacing my current ASUS Strix Raid Pro DLX, which also has pretty darn good parts/implementation ...
If it could power 5.1, I'd be more interested, but it can't, and that's a bit much for stereo (or the requirement that I get a separate 5.1 amp).

Good deal. I really wrestled with getting a G5 external dac or an soundblaster Z. Ive had a Z before and had no issues with it but wanted something different. I found a few videos on YouTube where the Z and the G5 went head to head in a few games...the Z sounded far better. $75 is a good deal on a Z too!

Anybody used any of their little mini bluetooth speakers? Looking for something to use out around the hot tub and garage.

If it could power 5.1, I'd be more interested, but it can't, and that's a bit much for stereo (or the requirement that I get a separate 5.1 amp).

That review said it could...?

It has 5.1 analog out as well as optical.

Bit for the X7 LE. Damn good deal and with SLI I can't fit my soundcard in my box anymore. Will be good for road trippin' with my 1070 lappy, too!

I bit and got the X7 and the speakers too. Apparently they are better than the bs22s

I bit and got the X7 and the speakers too. Apparently they are better than the bs22s

Were you able to apply the 25% off code to the combo price ($630) or did you buy them separate? When I try to checkout with the combo it errors and says I don't have at least $10 in my cart...

EDIT: nevermind - I see you are given the option to purchase it at a discount if you have the X7 LE in your cart.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I've wanted a SB Z for a while to replace my X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium, this is very tempting.

I was fighting it but broke down and picked up the X7 since I missed the massdrop.

I was fighting it but broke down and picked up the X7 since I missed the massdrop.
Isn't this less than Massdrop's price? I thought they were 100 off plus shipping. I'd get one if I was sure I'd gain something from it, but either there's nothing there for me, or I don't understand the product after reading hear, several reviews and so on. It's definitely a nice price. I guess I could go analog out to a logitech 5.1 system, but no sure if that's any better than just installing my old Forte 5.1 (and I think I can do digital out with it).

Isn't this less than Massdrop's price? I thought they were 100 off plus shipping. I'd get one if I was sure I'd gain something from it, but either there's nothing there for me, or I don't understand the product after reading hear, several reviews and so on. It's definitely a nice price. I guess I could go analog out to a logitech 5.1 system, but no sure if that's any better than just installing my old Forte 5.1 (and I think I can do digital out with it).

I'm getting it for very high quality headphone virtual surround for multiplayer gaming - with a side of music/movie/etc.

I have a great PCI-E sound card, but with SLI I can't use it. So this is perfect...if not a bit more than I'd like to spend (I have had my eyes on this since release). At under $400 it's more reasonable and now I have the added "need" for a mobile audio solution for when I travel for work and game on my laptop.

I'm getting it for very high quality headphone virtual surround for multiplayer gaming - with a side of music/movie/etc.

I have a great PCI-E sound card, but with SLI I can't use it. So this is perfect...if not a bit more than I'd like to spend (I have had my eyes on this since release). At under $400 it's more reasonable and now I have the added "need" for a mobile audio solution for when I travel for work and game on my laptop.

This is me right now. Crossfire/SLI makes you realize how much space you don't have .

Nice price, but I've never understood what problem it solves that makes it worth 300, much less 400 (or 500 for the premium model).
I've looked at it more than once and I always walk away about as confused as when I started reading.

I'd never get one myself and don't quite understand the design flaw of them putting the freaking op amps on the bottom. What's the point of getting this thing at that price and it ships with crap op amps. Then if you want to upgrade to discrete amps you can't because the good ones are tall and you can't fit tall amps in there even if you used extensions. I'm talking about op amps like the Burson V5 or the Sparkos Labs SS3602/3601 set.

Yes it is cheaper (no shipping) and at $299 I think it puts it in the price bracket I am willing to pay for a jack of all trades device in a nice box. I know there are better amp/dacs out there for the money, but I am not getting this only for music.

I'd never get one myself and don't quite understand the design flaw of them putting the freaking op amps on the bottom. What's the point of getting this thing at that price and it ships with crap op amps. Then if you want to upgrade to discrete amps you can't because the good ones are tall and you can't fit tall amps in there even if you used extensions. I'm talking about op amps like the Burson V5 or the Sparkos Labs SS3602/3601 set.

I thought you could fit the ss3601 in it? That was my plan.

This is me right now. Crossfire/SLI makes you realize how much space you don't have .

I forgot to mention that I was OK with SLI but then I added an NVme SSD that shared PCI-E lanes with the slot I used for my audio...doh!

I thought you could fit the ss3601 in it? That was my plan.

That's why I wrote combo. You can't use the dual 3602 with the single 3601. They are best used when paired for the IV and buffers but the X7 can only fit the buffers. And at the price the sparkos go for, one should look at the Burson V5, but that will never happen as they are way too tall.

not sure why but kinda tempted to get the Z to replace X-fi forget the gamers name edition i have.

Not sure if even worth it though.

wonder how good those inspire T6300 speakers are. seems like an awesome deal for someone looking for a package of a new sound card + 5.1

not sure why but kinda tempted to get the Z to replace X-fi forget the gamers name edition i have.

Not sure if even worth it though.

wonder how good those inspire T6300 speakers are. seems like an awesome deal for someone looking for a package of a new sound card + 5.1

Yeah same situation here. Haven't had any problems with my X-Fi Titanium other than I can't keep the thing from starting Windows 10 at 30% volume but always want the better tech, especially when I do all my headphone listening through a pair of HD650s.

I wonder if it is worth the upgrade too, but I guess at $75 or so it can't be too big a gamble.

Yeah same situation here. Haven't had any problems with my X-Fi Titanium other than I can't keep the thing from starting Windows 10 at 30% volume but always want the better tech, especially when I do all my headphone listening through a pair of HD650s.

I wonder if it is worth the upgrade too, but I guess at $75 or so it can't be too big a gamble.

The coupon code wouldn't apply on that bundle. I just went ahead and got the card though.

The coupon code wouldn't apply on that bundle. I just went ahead and got the card though.

Weird. When I have the Sound Blaster Z in the cart and enter the code, the discount is applied. I think I'm going to pass though because after reading some mixed feedback, it may not be much of a positive difference.

See I get it in your case. If you can't use your sound card, then this is an acceptable solution. I don't know...maybe I should buy it and see how it works for headphone gaming. I normally use my old Logitech 5.1 system, but I've got headphones here anyway.

Got my Sound Blaster X7 LE two days ago and it is a blast (I have it paired up with my Sony MDR-1A headset). Very happy with my purchase; it's definitely worth the flat $375 I paid for it. Lots of fun in games, and the amp w/extra power is really nice (lots of clarity in music, picking up lots of aural cues). My ASUS Strix Raid DLX is now officially relegated to backup duty. :D

I have had my X7 since Jan of 2015, and I absolutely love it. The software and firmware can be a bit buggy at times, but it replaced a Schiit stack and an Astro Mixamp Pro. If you want full functionality with the PS4, you will need to purchase the Creative BT-W2 as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They have a soundbar that is "only" $2200 (+$150 shipping). That's an amazing deal considering the MSRP is $5800!

They have a soundbar that is "only" $2200 (+$150 shipping). That's an amazing deal considering the MSRP is $5800!
WOW. For 6 grand, you could get a nice Atmos rig. I can't imagine spending that (or 2200) for a soundbar.

Back