Creative Decoder DDTS-100 question

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
I will be a freshmen next year and my roommate and I will have a ps2, xbox, dvd/vhs player, and maybe a HTPC

my question: will this Creative Decoder DDTS-100 work with 4.1 speakers? I know it says that one of its requirements is 5.1 and up, but don't you think it would work on a 4.1 system?

I was going to get a 4-channel Video Input Selector Switch but since i'm at school i don't remember what model i had picked then i would connect it with the Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter

What route do you think i should take? The remote on the first one would be nice, being able to control the volume which is key since i don't want to get up to mess with the volume on a speaker control thats 3 feet away :p :D

ps2 - optical
xbox - rca
dvd/vhs - rca
tv - rca

then just run the all the videos to the back of the tv with rca cables.

So its a $30 no remote solution vs. a $125 remote solution.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I'd recommend using the DDTS-100 with a 4.1 setup. I think the DDTS will assume you have a 5.1 setup, and thus will use either DD/DTS or Pro-Logic to encode the audio into 5.1. What will happen then, is (if I'm thinking correctly), your games/movies/etc won't sound right because it will be sending center channel information, but no speakers will be playing it. In other words, if sounds are supposed to be coming from the center channel, they simply won't be heard. Are you using the 4.1 Klipsch system or something? Because other than that, there probably aren't any 4.1 systems worth going through this trouble for.

Alright, well knowing this I will go my first route. Will the adapter made by logitech work without any hassel? It also says 5.1, but all it does is converts rca to mini-jack.
EDIT: the set of speakers are a set my roommate bought a year ago and I know that they are either altec lansings or logitechs.

EDIT2: can anyone suggest a high quality rca input selector? It needs at least 3 inputs, coxial (antenna in, then back to tv - so tv is through speakers) and then of course 1 output

Back