creating folder perms for another user on another computer

the block

[H]ard|Gawd
Both Windows Vista
Both on same Workgroup

We have Red computer and Blue computer. Red computer only has a user Zack which is in the administrators group. Blue computer only has a user Sara which is in the administrative group on her computer.

On Red computer, I want to share a folder to where user Sara on Blue computer has access to this folder.

When I go to set the perms it will only let me add local users on the Blue computer. There is no way to change it from Red\users... to Blue\Sara.

Is this possible to do on a simple non-domain network? I know I could just add a user Sara to the Blue computer but she will never need to physically log on to the blue computer so I feel like I shouldn't have to do that. I am the only one that will use Red computer so when it boots up I should just see user Zack and input for a password, I don't want to have the choice between Zack & Sara.

I did this for a small office a few weeks back...

You add the users to each computer

Red/Zack and Sara
Blue/Zack and Sara

There is a vbscript file I found on the net to 'not show on welcome screen' ...Ill see if I still have it around....worked great for me though....had 8 users on 1 PC when the boss only wanted to see his ID...

I figured out a good solution. I just created a sara account on my computer, gave her the perms to the folder I wanted, and then removed her from the users group and added her to the remote desktop connection group, so now her user doesn't show up at the welcome screen.

thanks for the info dbwillis

Back