Create a Linux NAS or buy a Synology

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello Guys,
I am thinking to create my personal home NAS system for daily use.
But as we know best option is to build one with Linux.
Another option is to buy some like Synology they have great from 2 to a lot of HDDs.
Which one you can choose there ?

If you have better things to do than building and managing own box then buy a Synology. I am a SW developer but I am too lasy to maintain just another PC at home so I bought Synology and could not be happier. It automates everything it can like updates etc, and it provides a lot of functionality. I like it. BTW I use it for 4 years now and it is still being updated regularly. I am happy. It is also very small.

I had a personal home NAS running Windows and moved to a Synology. I haven't had any issues. Other than the price, there's really not much to dislike about the Synology.

I have installed a lot of Synology boxes over the years and they have yet to let me down *knocks on wood*. Unless you have massive storage requirements or are just really interested in playing with freenas I would go Synology.

Synology has built in support or apps available for pretty much anything I have ever needed to do (within reason). Automatic updates never break anything, hardware rarely fails, most items can be configured with just a couple settings. Anything from s3 \ b2 cloud backups, email notifications, remote access, all the way to integration with a domain controller can be configured within a couple minutes.

You want cheap file storage for home use - only available locally and not concerned about security / remote access and extra features: Any budget 2-4bay

You want file storage that is easy, secure, and reliable, but not necessarily cheap (comparatively): Synology

You want file storage and lite server functionality that is reliable but requires manual updating, config, and monitoring to stay secure: Mid-range or better Qnap

You want to DYI, want a general purpose server, no limits on expandability: FreeNAS or Unraid

Qnap really needs to sort themselves out (they still don't know how there qnap firmware is been compromised) i would probery avoid Qnap until they get audited and get professional to work out how qnap boxes are been hacked

they need to rewrite there firmware as it should be secure from stuff like this (even if you install apps, they should not get root level access) Synology seem to fine in this regard, due to this i probably never buy a Qnap if they cant get basic security right (a NAS box is Not a router it should be getting updates automatically and there shouldn't be any open services facing the internet or default/hardcoded passwords again facing the internet)

if synology offered 2.5 or even 5gbe ports at similar price of there own 1gbe synology older products they would own the market, as at the moment i have zero reason to replace my synology unless i buy one that is over £1000 to get a PCI-E slot so i can put a high speed network card in it (at that point i could just use a server for half that to do same thing, as synology charge £200+£100 per HDD slot and charge a premium for 2.5 and 5gbe)

Last edited:
Back