Craigslist finds

I got a like new iPhone 5S 16GB w/Life Proof case for $75 if that counts as a "good deal," only use the thing to help end users over the phone navigate the system to setup e-mail and other shit, so was happy to spend that much.

How's that possible? I would've bought that phone for even $75. Was it unlocked or tied to a carrier? Possible it was stolen? Did you ever ask the seller why he was willing to let it go for so cheap?

How's that possible? I would've bought that phone for even $75. Was it unlocked or tied to a carrier? Possible it was stolen? Did you ever ask the seller why he was willing to let it go for so cheap?

Because a friend of his got a new work phone issued to him, which relieved him of the 5S, the company did not want it back, so he gave it to him (the guy I bought it from) as it was not needed any longer.

He originally was asking $170, I threw out the whole "I will likely have to pay to have it unlocked" story, and "this phone was free to you so any money is money in your pocket," asked him what the cheapest he would be willing to do with that in mind, he counter-offered with $75 and I took it.
The phone is carrier locked to AT&T, which is fine as I have AT&T, so IF I ever decide to use it (which I never will) I will have no issues, I checked the ESN on Swappa during our transaction and it came up clean to confirm that, but for now it just sits on my desk at work turned off most of the time.

Mah, all I see here locally on CL are overpriced years old Macs, "gaming" desktops, old ancient servers and crap like that. :(

Yeah no kidding. P4 laptop, 512mb of ram 80gb hard drive? $250. LOL

Same thing with cars too. "Geo Metro $1800, Does not start, don't know what is wrong. 180,000 miles"

Like What?

Great example: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4919055757.html

Sorry I won't spend $3500 on a car that doesn't run.

Last edited:
Same thing with cars too. "Geo Metro $1800, Does not start, don't know what is wrong. 180,000 miles"

:D I've got three Geo Metros. I've gotten them all for incredible prices ranging from $1,200 in 2006, $750 in 2010 and $700 in 2013. All came with free spare parts and even upgrades.

That $1,800 price is </3.

Some people simply ask high, you just need to talk them down to what's reasonable.

:D I've got three Geo Metros. I've gotten them all for incredible prices ranging from $1,200 in 2006, $750 in 2010 and $700 in 2013. All came with free spare parts and even upgrades.

That $1,800 price is </3.

Some people simply ask high, you just need to talk them down to what's reasonable.

Great deals on those Metro's! Among the more underrated cars out there!

Great deals on those Metro's! Among the more underrated cars out there!

Wish people would realize that. They're extremely reliable and sips gas like nothing else -- it's your go to commuter car.

And I got all of these cars running in good condition. :p

I'm seeing a brand new Samsung 850 PRO 256GB for $110. Hmm, not sure if that's good. The closest Amazon has ever gotten it to was $150.

Wish people would realize that. They're extremely reliable and sips gas like nothing else -- it's your go to commuter car.

Those things are like a cardboard box with wheels. I commuted 75 miles a day for about a year and saw waaaaay too many accidents. I actually got rear ended in my G35 coupe at 50 mph from a dead stop (traffic backed up onto the freeway from the off ramp) and even though it took the hit really well (rear end crumpled just like it was supposed to, I only sustained minor injuries), I could never justify getting another little car again. The couple hundred dollars saved every month on gas just isn't worth the diminished safety IMO.

I got a MSI gp60 leopard laptop for $475.

Traded it for a 2012 Macbook Air 13" with no ssd.

Traded that for a 2010 15" Macbook Pro

Tradd that for a Alienware M18x r2

Traded that for a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" Non Retina

And Finally, traded that for a 2013 Alienware 18 with sli gtx 765m and a 128gb sdd, 16gb ram, and a 750gb hdd. Also came with the vindicator bag.

So roughly, I got the Alienware 18 for about 600 with gas and the couple odds and ends i threw in with trades. I also did this all within a month.

I found my Sennheiser HD600, like new condition in the original box for $100 about 3 years ago. That was my best craigslist find so far, but I have bought a few other items.

And Finally, traded that for a 2013 Alienware 18 with sli gtx 765m and a 128gb sdd, 16gb ram, and a 750gb hdd. Also came with the vindicator bag.

So roughly, I got the Alienware 18 for about 600 with gas and the couple odds and ends i threw in with trades. I also did this all within a month.

I have heard about people doing that... finding a good deal on something, and slowly trading up until they hit it big with their trades! You did real good on that!!!

I did that on local sites with mountain bike. It can be fun but it is also a lot of work so it ends up being a bit of a hobby.
I went from a £15 bike which I sold for £30, £30 sold for £60... last bike paid £190 and used for several month (had to replace a few parts from ware) before selling for £280.
I stopped bying bikes as I can walk to work in 8 minutes.

I have heard about people doing that... finding a good deal on something, and slowly trading up until they hit it big with their trades! You did real good on that!!!

yeah, its not super hard to do. You just have to keep looking and asking. Even if people dont put in their ad for a trade, some people still will want to.

How do you do all the calculations when figuring out trades? When you trade, don't one party usually lose out?

How do you now you are not receiving stolen goods? That and getting scammed is one think I would dislike about Craigslist.

It would be interesting if craigslist, like eBay, provide ratings based on account names. We could then trust the seller easily. But then there's the missing anonymity.

How do you now you are not receiving stolen goods? That and getting scammed is one think I would dislike about Craigslist.

How do you know you aren't buying stolen goods from pawn shops? How about Goodwill or other thrift stores? Garage Sales? Hell, even members of the [H] community, or other online communities that offer a For Sale site?

Just buy, and be happy. Don't make it so complicated.

How do you do all the calculations when figuring out trades? When you trade, don't one party usually lose out?

I usually look for something that would allow a difference in price in trade. For example, The 2012 Macbook Air has no SSD. The MSI trackpad had issues. However, I was upfront when I re traded and found deals that would also go with this. On the 2010 15", I found someone who needed portability and a newer cpu. For the first M18x, I looked for someone that needed a macbook.

Sometimes I just email text as many as I can until I find the right person.

As far as if they are stolen or not, I ask questions to see if it possibly could be. Usually, if they have original box, then its probably not stolen. As far as safety, I ALWAYS meet inside a public place such as Starbucks.

I did check the service tag. Still shows the one year warranty on it. I went ahead and upgraded the HDD to an SSD yesterday. Great machine.

P.S. Nice find on that stolen desk ;)

I did check the service tag. Still shows the one year warranty on it. I went ahead and upgraded the HDD to an SSD yesterday. Great machine.

P.S. Nice find on that stolen desk ;)

its ok siz, most these people talking good measure probably just downloaded the newest movie in theaters.

How many hours of time?

I bought a like-new Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard for $30 (talked him down from him down from $50).

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic121029-razercraigs.jpg

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic121030-razercraigs2.jpg

Last edited:
Found a pair of Halfer 300 Speakers. After researching them I decided they *could* be great. Turns out they are. Paid $100, which is a lot for a CL score, but knowing the price/performance deal for speakers I deemed it worth it.

I still have a 1980 Hafler DH-200 that I picked up in 1992 for $60. Best audio money I ever spent. The thing still sounds great, easily better than new "big box" stuff today. It serves as a reminder of how good American (and Japanese) made electronics were before everything went to as cheap as possible from China.

I still have a 1980 Hafler DH-200 that I picked up in 1992 for $60. Best audio money I ever spent. The thing still sounds great, easily better than new "big box" stuff today. It serves as a reminder of how good American (and Japanese) made electronics were before everything went to as cheap as possible from China.

Yeah apparently AMPs were their big thing.
As such not much info was available about the speakers, I kind of needed to go on faith.
The speakers are amazing t-line build and are so pure and wonderful even at high volume I get in trouble when I turn them up.

Best deal I ever found on Craigslist was a Wii U about a year and a half ago to 2 years ago for $150. The guy has the white model included 2 brand new nunchucks and 2 brand new wiimotes (with motion plus). One was white and other was black. He also included Super Mario 3D World. Was a fucking steal at $150. That was like over $400 worth of stuff at the time. I was so happy. The guy was a college student visiting Orlando for a Disney internship from California. Looks like he barely used it. Hell of a deal.

And the worst just happened less than a week ago. Got a PS4 on CL for $200 + a tablet... brought it home and it had the blue light of death. Luckily it's under warranty and Sony is sending a box to send it back to them.

...And the worst just happened less than a week ago. Got a PS4 on CL for $200 + a tablet... brought it home and it had the blue light of death. Luckily it's under warranty and Sony is sending a box to send it back to them.

Hell, that's STILL a good deal! Especially given that you have a warranty still. I think you got an awesome deal!

Today, I picked up an Alienware M11x laptop (original model) for 60 bucks (talked him down from his overpriced $200 that he wanted). Came with the charger. Only things wrong with it are the notorious hinges issue, which looks like it can be fixed fairly cheaply (myself), and needing to reload Windows (the product key is still on the bottom of the laptop). I will update this post with pics here shortly!

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic121062-m11x1.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago I picked up an Intel 2500K cpu for $100 on Craigslist. At the time, that was a fabulous deal.

even if the seller has the original box it can still be stolen. they might be involved in credit card fraud

Found a CL ad of some guy saying he has multiple Dell monitors from 19-24".

Says he has 2x u2412m's left, I have them reserved and will be taking a look at them tomorrow. If all checks out, he wants both for $180 :D

I'll post back with pics if it goes through!

Best deal I got on CL so far was a Malibal Satori Notebook. Top of the line in 2012 was like $2000.
Got it for $350 plus he threw in a klipsch 2.1 speaker set that was going for about $200 for free.

Sold the notebook for $650 on EBAY and kept the speakers.

Guy had money and just saw it as an old computer.:)

How do you know you aren't buying stolen goods from pawn shops? How about Goodwill or other thrift stores? Garage Sales? Hell, even members of the [H] community, or other online communities that offer a For Sale site?

Just buy, and be happy. Don't make it so complicated.

I'm just gonna note, I don't think many people are going to steal something just to donate it to the thrift store. I mean unless they're doing some kinda Robin Hood crap or something. That'd be kind of interesting.

Always keeping an eye on CL and one of the best deals I got was when I purchased:
AMD FX8350
2x8GB G Skill RAM (DDR3 1600MHz)
Cooler Master Seidon v120
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

All for $100 his original asking price was $150!!

Another was a Sapphire R9 270x Toxic OC Tri-x GPU for CoD: AW XBOX1 and $10 cash!!

I end up selling as a complete RIG for $600

-AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU

-Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard

-G Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (8GB Kit)

-Cooler Master Seidon v120 AIO CPU water cooler

-Corsair Graphite 600t Case (purchased from friend for $50)

-Sapphire R9 270x Toxic OC Tri-x GPU

-Western Digital 3 TB HDD

-Ultra LPS 650 watt PSU (Another CL buy $20)

-Razer Arctosa gaming keyboard (another CL buy $10)

-R.A.T 7 Mouse

I missed a Nvidia branded GTX980 for $400 - sold by the time I sent text :(

Many deals to be had on CL at the same time I quite often see items being listed for MSRP or above lol!

Managed to buy one of the U2412M's he had for $80.

No dead pixles, minimal scratches on the back of the monitor.

However, the OSD menu doesn't open regardless of which button pressed. Power button doesnt't work either. Any clue?

http://i.imgur.com/DJEecGh.jpg

Last edited:
The last tech related things I got off craigslist was a pair of Astro A50s for $150. They looked brand new. I got a Dell 3007wfp for $225, which after few months of having it got a stuck pixel but not a huge deal.

Best I ever had was a lot buyout of 3 or so cubicles full of used IT equipment for $300. Picked it up with a 16' Penske truck. Roughly 17x 15" LCD's which sold in a week for $30 per. But the biggest money maker was the old phone extension server with a bunch of 48 channel cards inside (Can't remember the name) Plus a box of spares and other assorted call center cards. Sold those all off for about $2,500. Still left around 200 or so Polycomm phones and some computers. Needless to say, I probably made about $4000 or so off of that lot.

Back