Crackdown 3 Has Been Delayed Until Spring 2018

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Microsoft has announced that Crackdown 3 has been delayed until Spring 2018, claiming that the development teams need extra time in order to ensure a quality gameplay experience.

I can't say I'm all that surprised. The game was first announced at E3 2014, targeting a release at the 2nd half of 2016. Then at Gamescom 2015 was when they announced the "real time destruction" that would be cloud powered using Microsift Azure, an extremely ambitious goal to say the least. I'm quite a big fan of the Crackdown series, but this one may be on the hype-train to Disappointmentville.

"Crackdown 3 is a hugely ambitious game and we want to ensure we deliver the right experiences all the way through every part of the game, whether that’s campaign, co-op multiplayer or our competitive multiplayer mode, Wrecking Zone. Getting the balance right between the three modes is important, and we are going to take the extra development time to ensure that. Gamers can expect Crackdown 3 in Spring of 2018."

There is no amount of time that will ever fix the awfulness that is crackdown. You can only polish a turd so much.

This was literally the only big first party exclusive for 2017 unless you count Forza 9 or whatever number they are up to now. Sony has had several exclusives that received scores of 9+ on metacritic already this year.

I interviewed with Sumo back in the summer of '14, they were just starting to spin up the project then. 3 years for a Triple-A sandbox game, from an understaffed studio with no sandbox experience, was a bit ambitious. Especially ambitious for a studio that was already stretched thin doing contract piece work on other studio's projects just to keep the doors open (no shame in that, admire the hustle).

The trailers and things on this so far have been a big "meh," it just looks so generic and bland.

The biggest thing they had going was the destruction and then they announced it was only for multiplayer and then completely skipped that for E3 this year.

Microsoft really has a huge lack of first party games this generation, which makes the cancellation of fable and shutting down Lionhead all the more baffling to me. We didn't even get a single new main Fable game for the xbone and they really really needed it.

There is no amount of time that will ever fix the awfulness that is crackdown. You can only polish a turd so much.
image.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the game never sees the light of day on Xbox. MS has ONE LAST CHANCE to regain marketshare this fall with the XB1X, and if that flops, they are DONE. Sales this spring and summer of Xbox have PLUMMETED and they were outsold at least 3:1 IN THE US in June. The numbers are so bad, NPD numbers arent even being leaked! Flame me all you want, guys, but the writing is on the wall for Microsoft's console ambitions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game never sees the light of day on Xbox. MS has ONE LAST CHANCE to regain marketshare this fall with the XB1X, and if that flops, they are DONE. Sales this spring and summer of Xbox have PLUMMETED and they were outsold at least 3:1 IN THE US in June. The numbers are so bad, NPD numbers arent even being leaked! Flame me all you want, guys, but the writing is on the wall for Microsoft's console ambitions.

It really depends on what the board says and what shareholders think. It is not impossible for them to turn it around next gen, if they can come out of the gate with a much better plan and buy back some of the timed exclusive deals they lost.

Timed exclusive deals only work if you are already top dog. They come after success is already obtained. I agree with the earlier statement. MSFT has one chance this generation, and they already shot themselves in the foot with pricing, so they are hobbling to the finish line. Screw that up, and they are gone.

Timed exclusive deals only work if you are already top dog. They come after success is already obtained. I agree with the earlier statement. MSFT has one chance this generation, and they already shot themselves in the foot with pricing, so they are hobbling to the finish line. Screw that up, and they are gone.

Depends on the timed exclusive. If they can get COD back next gen it will put them in a huge position. Get Activision and other companies will fall into place.

It really depends on what the board says and what shareholders think. It is not impossible for them to turn it around next gen, if they can come out of the gate with a much better plan and buy back some of the timed exclusive deals they lost.

"Next Gen"??? They don't have that kind of time. Gen 9 is AT LEAST 3 years away! Do you really expect the Board or shareholders to have that kind of patience? My bet is that if Xbox flops this holiday season (VERY likely with the software they have coming!), you will see them wrap things up next year and push PC gaming only. With the brand transitioning to a label only.

"Next Gen"??? They don't have that kind of time. Gen 9 is AT LEAST 3 years away! Do you really expect the Board or shareholders to have that kind of patience? My bet is that if Xbox flops this holiday season (VERY likely with the software they have coming!), you will see them wrap things up next year and push PC gaming only. With the brand transitioning to a label only.

Its hard to say. The big question is if the board sees a future in the division and a way to fix it. MS has been good at hiding the money the division has been blowing since day one from shareholders, they can keep it up if they feel it is worth it. If MS decides to keep the division around I don't see Phil Spencer being employed there if/when the X flops this year.

Its hard to say. The big question is if the board sees a future in the division and a way to fix it. MS has been good at hiding the money the division has been blowing since day one from shareholders, they can keep it up if they feel it is worth it. If MS decides to keep the division around I don't see Phil Spencer being employed there if/when the X flops this year.

I agree, Phil is done no matter what happens. And yeah, they have been hiding the bleeding for years now...but with Surface on the rocks, and Windows Phone all but buried, they cant hide the losses much longer. And anyone who gets the real numbers knows how bad they are losing! If the shareholders get even a SMALL whiff of what's actually going on, they wont hesitate to direct the board to kill of Xbox!

I agree, Phil is done no matter what happens. And yeah, they have been hiding the bleeding for years now...but with Surface on the rocks, and Windows Phone all but buried, they cant hide the losses much longer. And anyone who gets the real numbers knows how bad they are losing! If the shareholders get even a SMALL whiff of what's actually going on, they wont hesitate to direct the board to kill of Xbox!

Before Balmer left and the massive board and management shakeup, there was talk of shareholders pressuring MS to spin Xbox off into its own company. Then MS started burying the Xbox division under entertainment, but that entire division is bleeding money now. Sadly, I think the entire thing lays on the heads of the MS board and the well known horrible mismanagement from top down. I wonder if being spun off into its own company, away from the moronic MS board, could help the Xbox division in the long run. Even if they exit the console market and just focus on game and tech development and publishing.

Before Balmer left and the massive board and management shakeup, there was talk of shareholders pressuring MS to spin Xbox off into its own company. Then MS started burying the Xbox division under entertainment, but that entire division is bleeding money now. Sadly, I think the entire thing lays on the heads of the MS board and the well known horrible mismanagement from top down. I wonder if being spun off into its own company, away from the moronic MS board, could help the Xbox division in the long run. Even if they exit the console market and just focus on game and tech development and publishing.

As its own, independent company, it would have gone out of business YEARS ago! Only MS's deep pockets and their stubbornness in ceding ANY space they have decided to enter has kept it going!

Back