• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cpu wattage question

etegv

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2011
Messages
341
Im looking at the 4670k and the 4570s. The S is rated at 65w and the K is rated at 84w.

I plan to use this computer for some mining and gaming, so the S model would work best for me right?

im confused because does is the CPU always at that wattage or does it go up and down based on the load? like the minute I turn on the PC, will the CPU be at 65w? or will it be like at like 15 and then go up to 65 when I boot up a game?

if its the latter, then I guess I would go for the K model

thanks
 
Power draw is variable. The CPU will reduce clock speed and volts based upon load.
 
Once I was reading the power load in my UPS and noticed the power draw varied from 52 watts when idle to 160 watts at max load (w/ OC). This is with 4770K. I had no integrated graphics so this was purely due to the CPU.
 
Once I was reading the power load in my UPS and noticed the power draw varied from 52 watts when idle to 160 watts at max load (w/ OC). This is with 4770K. I had no integrated graphics so this was purely due to the CPU.

thats interesting. so i guess the wattage wouldnt matter if i decided to leave the comp on over night, right?

would the s and k models use about the same amount of watts at idle?

thanks for the help guys
 
Last edited:
my main question is this: which cpu would be better for a mining/gaming rig, the i5 4430 or the i5 4570s? because they are about the same in performance, but the 4430 is cheaper by $15 and the 4570 eats up less wattage. I dont need to OC; as long as I can game, then im ok with that. JUst worried about leaving the pc on overnight. Thanks.
 
thats interesting. so i guess the wattage wouldnt matter if i decided to leave the comp on over night, right?
Not really.
would the s and k models use about the same amount of watts at idle?
Yup. That's why I never recommend S series CPUs.

my main question is this: which cpu would be better for a mining/gaming rig, the i5 4430 or the i5 4570s? because they are about the same in performance, but the 4430 is cheaper by $15 and the 4570 eats up less wattage. I dont need to OC; as long as I can game, then im ok with that. JUst worried about leaving the pc on overnight. Thanks.
The 4570 has a slight edge in performance. Just go with what ever option you can afford. You really can't go wrong either way.
 
Back
Top